German Restaurants and specialty shops

Forum to post good places to eat

Postby Bauer » Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:20 pm

Speedy wrote:Bavarian Inn in Shepardstown, MD (near Harper's Ferry) http://www.bavarianinnwv.com/

NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! Just don't do it!!!! [-o<
Günter & Christine (a.k.a. Tigger - T.I. double grrrrrr)
2004 Artic White R1200C & 1994 Red K1100LT
----------------------------
It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
Bauer
Dirty Rally Girl

Postby ERC Scott » Sun Oct 28, 2007 8:20 pm

raysuf wrote:I have had a couple of friends tell me this place is good.
http://www.schmankerlstube.com/
It's out in Hagerstown, MD. I still need to check it out sometime.

:D They serve the best German food (Bavarian) that I've had in MD. With my ethnicity, I was raised on the stuff. Do not miss their Sweinshoxxe (pig shank) - it needs to be ordered a day ahead as it cooks for around 8 hours. You can get a couple meals out of one order. I order it every birthday -- just 2 weeks ago in fact. They have about a dozen Euro beers on tap and many more in bottles. Prices are reasonable.
2016 R1200RS
2005 R1200 GS
2015 1290 SuperDuke-R

You don't choose your life, you live it.
ERC Scott
Board Wizard

Postby Hikerjms » Sun Oct 28, 2007 8:54 pm

Edelweiss in Staunton,VA
Last edited by Hikerjms on Tue Oct 30, 2007 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hikerjms

Postby Maria V » Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:02 am

Anybody know anything about this place? Passed it yesterday on a ride.

http://www.germanfoodinpa.com/
Maria
Retired Presidente
Kermit's Ride Rule: "Don't hit the person in front of you and no whining."
2009 F650GS - "Moose" Veni, Vidi, Vroom!
Maria V
Attack Ninja

Postby Ben_Ricci » Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:25 am

Maria V wrote:Anybody know anything about this place? Passed it yesterday on a ride.

Maria, my wife and I just ate there on the 20th. It's been there forever and the interior decor reflects it. Formerly owned by a German immigrant and now run by his son. Food is inexpensive and well made: German (of course) with a slight Pa. Dutch touch. It's a very casual place and biker friendly--usually a Beemer or two around and nearly always a few HDs. Decent selection of German brew. It's sort of a downscale version of the Schmakerl Stube, but it my opinion the food is just as good and in some cases better. I like their weinerschinzel—that a few hefeweizens and I am a happy camper. Overall it's an unassuming place and used to be somewhat overlooked, but it's usually pretty crowded these days. It isn't much to look at, but it's good for a meal. The waitresses are younger and prettier at Schmakerl, if that matters. :lol: :lol:
Ben_Ricci

Postby Maria V » Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:34 am

Thanks for the helpful review, Ben! (and the waitress scoop :lol: )
There was a restaurant across the street in a stone building, I had seen a bilboard for it prior on 30, claiming that Eisenhower ate there.. :roll: Anything good there?
Maria
Retired Presidente
Kermit's Ride Rule: "Don't hit the person in front of you and no whining."
2009 F650GS - "Moose" Veni, Vidi, Vroom!
Maria V
Attack Ninja

Postby Ben_Ricci » Mon Oct 29, 2007 3:19 pm

Maria V wrote:There was a restaurant across the street in a stone building, I had seen a bilboard for it prior on 30, claiming that Eisenhower ate there.. :roll: Anything good there?

That must be the Altland House. Once upon a time there weren't too many "nice" places to eat in the area. The Altland House was (and still is) one of THE places to eat (although it's got a lot more competition). It's gone through it's phases over the years, but it's a decent fine dining American cuisine type of place (decent turtle soup). They've been getting more creative with the menu in the last couple of years, which is a plus. I haven't been there this year yet, but I'm planning on making a visit in the next two weeks and I'll report back.

Eisenhower ate there. Good to know. :lol: :lol: Very funny.

Crazy Horse is just down the road (Rt. 30) at Cross Keys and it's a really good restaurant if you like steak or seafood. BIG portions (which means nothing to me), but you get your money's worth.
Ben_Ricci

Re:

Postby gardner17756 » Sat Nov 08, 2008 10:03 am

Maria V wrote:Anybody know anything about this place? Passed it yesterday on a ride.

Found this review on Chowhound.com:

"My favorite meal, which I ate both ways is the baurenwurst and bratwurst (weisswurst and knockwurst is also available) with sauerkraut and spaetzle and a 1. Warsteiner Dunkle. My partner flitters around the various schnitzles with red beet salad and hot potato salad and tea.

Why I love it. The prices are very reasonable. The restrooms remind me of being on a train but are very clean. The waitresses are very personable and helpful and you end up leaving a 25% tip because the bill is less than expected. A very good cheese spread served with crackers and bread is complementary at the beginning of the meal. There is cheesy oompah music nicely piped continuously at a quiet volume overhead. You can usually park in front and if not there is a parking lot on the side. There are serveral dining rooms, the stuffed bear room (I think it's a fake) where rowdy groups are seated, a cozy nook with deer heads decorating and a photo of Konrad Adenhower, the family room (where we sit) beneath a rim of the best gnomes, nutcrackers, steins, stuffed squirrels and cheesy wood sayings. By seperate entrance is the Alpine Room-the bar where you can smoke if you choose and order the same german beers on draft. I watched the election returns there and it was heated but friendly -kind of reminded me of the Deerslayer. No yuppies there, but a amalgamation of various working people with widely different opinions."
gardner17756

Re: German Restaurants and specialty shops

Postby Aether » Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:21 pm

Apparently Blob's Park in Jessup, MD is going to reopen by the end of the year. One of the other member's of the family now owns it and is in the process of completing renovations.

-A
-Adam

2014 Triumph Street Triple R (3 Cylinder LandJet)
1976 BMW R75/6 (2 cylinder/2 wheel fun)
1966 BMW R60/2 - R75 Conversion w/ Sidecar (2 cylinder/3 wheel fun)
Aether
Board Guru

Re: Re:

Postby RockBottom » Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:39 am

gardner17756 wrote:

Found this review on Chowhound.com:

"My favorite meal, which I ate both ways is the baurenwurst and bratwurst (weisswurst and knockwurst is also available) with sauerkraut and spaetzle and a 1. Warsteiner Dunkle. My partner flitters around the various schnitzles with red beet salad and hot potato salad and tea.

Why I love it. The prices are very reasonable. The restrooms remind me of being on a train but are very clean. The waitresses are very personable and helpful and you end up leaving a 25% tip because the bill is less than expected. A very good cheese spread served with crackers and bread is complementary at the beginning of the meal. There is cheesy oompah music nicely piped continuously at a quiet volume overhead. You can usually park in front and if not there is a parking lot on the side. There are serveral dining rooms, the stuffed bear room (I think it's a fake) where rowdy groups are seated, a cozy nook with deer heads decorating and a photo of Konrad Adenhower, the family room (where we sit) beneath a rim of the best gnomes, nutcrackers, steins, stuffed squirrels and cheesy wood sayings. By seperate entrance is the Alpine Room-the bar where you can smoke if you choose and order the same german beers on draft. I watched the election returns there and it was heated but friendly -kind of reminded me of the Deerslayer. No yuppies there, but a amalgamation of various working people with widely different opinions."

By coincidence, I'm cranking up "Gunter" and heading down to the Haufbrauhaus in a few minutes.
RockBottom
Board Guru

Postby Bauer » Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:56 am

RockBottom wrote:By coincidence, I'm cranking up "Gunter" and heading down to the Haufbrauhaus in a few minutes.

Is this something I should know about? :lol: Does my husband know you're going to crank him up? :lol: BTW - ALT252 will get ü if we're looking for proper spelling. :D
Günter & Christine (a.k.a. Tigger - T.I. double grrrrrr)
2004 Artic White R1200C & 1994 Red K1100LT
----------------------------
It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
Bauer
Dirty Rally Girl

Postby RockBottom » Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:31 pm

Bauer wrote:
RockBottom wrote:By coincidence, I'm cranking up "Gunter" and heading down to the Haufbrauhaus in a few minutes.

Is this something I should know about? :lol: Does my husband know you're going to crank him up? :lol: BTW - ALT252 will get ü if we're looking for proper spelling. :D

I initially called my bike "Das Schwein" but then decided to name it.

Just back from the ride. The restaurant was OK if you're in the vicinity, but not worth going out of the way. I told them that it would be much more authentic if they filled it with cigarette smoke. Don't think I've ever been to a restaurant in Germany without it.
RockBottom
Board Guru

Postby ross21710 » Tue May 17, 2011 1:00 pm

http://www.blobspark.net/BPFoodMenu.htm
BLOBS- out near BWI. It was good 30 years ago, don't know if it still is. Back in the day they had dancing and long multigroup tables, ideal for large groups of riders. Here's what's posted on their website:
"We are located six miles south of BWI (between Baltimore and Washingon) off of the Baltimore/Washington Parkway (295) at Route 175 east. Take the Odenton exit and the make a right at the flashing light (you'll see it as soon as you are on Route 175). That's Max Blob's Park Road. It winds around for about a quarter of a mile and you'll see the hall."
ross21710

Postby gastone » Tue May 17, 2011 2:20 pm

The Bavarian Chef has opened up a new location in downtown Fredericksburg, at the site of the old train station, formerly Claibornes. If you are making a trip down to Mortons, it's worth it to stop in and get German meal.
Garrett

2007 G650xChallenge
gastone

Postby Luna » Tue May 17, 2011 9:12 pm

Bavarian Chef is the BEST! I've been to both locations, and if I had to rate them, I'd say the one in Madison is just a bit better, but not by much! I think the atmosphere at the Madison location has more to offer. The upstairs really makes you feel like you're in an old world pub - love it!
Laura Moon

French kissing life square in the mouth.... :D
2014 Honda GL1800HPNA
Luna
Frequent Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Road Food