Jim and Kermit's Big Adventure (well, big to us)

Tell Us About Your Rides!

Re: Jim and Kermit's Big Adventure (well, big to us)

Postby R1200ST » Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:52 pm

Jim,

Sounds like a great trip, make sure when you get to Rushmore that you also do Crazy Horse, I thought it was much better then Rushmore (if a lot less complete).

That would be great if you can get all into your cases, but I see no reference to Tents so I guess you stand a chance.

I have been tempted by heated clothing, but I was thinking on a summer ride it would not get that cold. Guess I should reconsider :)

Brian

JimVonBaden wrote:Route: Roughly from DC to Mt Rushmore, then on to Tillamook, OR. From Tillamook up through Seattle, WA into Canada, through Banff, then across the Great Lakes in Canada, and back to DC. This route is variable depending on our moods, weather, and time.
R1200ST

Postby JimVonBaden » Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:31 pm

sundaeman wrote:I think an OK turns off tracking when it's on. You need to wait a while after sending a OK to start the tracking too. If you don't hold OK long enough (10 secs seem to work for me) it will just send an OK vs track. Other thing to remember is it automatically quits tracking after X (i think 24) hours.

Sort of, it will track 24 consecutive hours, dropping information off as more comes on.

Kermit will have the whole trip in his personal page, and I will post it along the way.

Yes, it stops tracking until you reset the message.

Thanks guys, and gals!

Jim :brow
JimVonBaden
Smooth Motorcycle Operator

Postby sundaeman » Wed Jul 09, 2008 5:04 pm

Jim, The website will go back 30 days, click on the drop down next to date received.
2006 R1200RT-P

"Who is John Galt?"
sundaeman
Unhappily Ranked

Postby Hello Kitty » Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:37 pm

If you bought your SPOT through the group buy on MTF, the tracking is only $25 a year. Not sure if that's what they did or not. I've been playing with mine as well.

Jason Jonas has a website where you can send your OK and Help signals. In addition to whoever else you have it set to send them to. Then peeps can log on there and see where you are and where you've been. It won't overwrite after 24 hours. I'll look for the link and send it to you guys to use or not use - as you wish, but you'll have the option!
Kitty
Hello Kitty
Boss of Tina

Postby kjackson » Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:02 pm

Well, we're going to have to go a little leaner. After working over a month getting our process tested and setup my laptop just got hosed. You know how it is, my whole life was on there. One day is not enough time to get something else together. We'll do the best we can.

Evil Kermit is trying to come out right now. My family probably wishes I'd leave on the trip right now.

Kermit
Never pass up an opportunity to keep your mouth shut. - Winston Churchill

There are people dying every day that have never lived. - me

It'll become painfully obvious when the gun owners become "unreasonable".
kjackson
The PURDY One

Postby wiredcur » Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:10 pm

What's that SPOT website again?
'04 BMW R1150GS - RatGS

"I lift things up and I put them down."
wiredcur
The Fluffernutter Kid

Postby Blaster229 » Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:12 pm

findmespot.com
Blaster229
Ms. Kitty, Jr

Postby BMWGirl » Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:14 pm

Okay so you guys better leave in the morning for your trip!!! Jim has a problem with my bike and Kermit is having a problem with the computer. Sounds like you guys better just leave NOW!!!
BECAUSE I CAN!!!
IBA #37898 - IBR - 2017 IBA #565 Woohoo

2015 R1200GSA white w/PURPLE :-)
'10 K1300GT
'05 R1200ST

"Riding is about having an adventure - you just go with it and No Whining!" Kermit
BMWGirl
GO COWBOYS!

Postby Hello Kitty » Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:22 pm

kjackson wrote:Well, we're going to have to go a little leaner. After working over a month getting our process tested and setup my laptop just got hosed. You know how it is, my whole life was on there. One day is not enough time to get something else together. We'll do the best we can.

Evil Kermit is trying to come out right now. My family probably wishes I'd leave on the trip right now.

Kermit

I'm sorry Kermit! But peeps have been traveling by bike for a very long time without laptops. You'll survive. The Cape Fear this year was my first time traveling WITH a laptop. Just about every motel we stayed in had a computer in the lobby you could jump on to check email or weather or whatever you need to check on!

Go and have fun!
Kitty
Hello Kitty
Boss of Tina

Postby Unity » Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:13 pm

Hello Kitty wrote:Just about every motel we stayed in had a computer in the lobby you could jump on to check email or weather or whatever you need to check on!

That's the case if you have your laptop. If you left it at home, the motels don't have any.

--John
(Works for me.)
2002 R1150RT, Silver
Silver, the "cool and aloof" color.
(Road & Track Vol. 56, No.2, p. 19)

1971 Triumph Bonneville, Gold
Gold, the "paying the restorer" color.
(Trust me.)
Unity
Shaman

Postby JimVonBaden » Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:54 pm

I have my laptop to take, so all is not lost!

Jim :brow
JimVonBaden
Smooth Motorcycle Operator

Postby Hello Kitty » Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:21 am

Unity wrote:
Hello Kitty wrote:Just about every motel we stayed in had a computer in the lobby you could jump on to check email or weather or whatever you need to check on!

That's the case if you have your laptop. If you left it at home, the motels don't have any.

--John
(Works for me.)

Not for me! Like I said, this past April is the FIRST TIME EVER that I did have a laptop. Last summer when Walt and I went out to St. Louis for Don and then rode around and stayed in a different motel every night, just about all of them had a computer for guests. The only one that didn't was the place near the Tail of the Dragon. I guess it depends on the chain. We were at Holiday Inn Express, Motel 6, Super8, and the like. I was at a Hilton Garden Inn in CT recently, they had one, the Doubletree that the IBR was based out of had several.

The Comfort Inn that we stayed at in FL during the CF1K had one, when I did have my laptop. I don't recall if the place we stayed in Columbia SC had one for the rest bonus. I was thinking about other things at that point... :D

Now the wifi isn't always free anymore. Kind of like how ATM's used to be free, until we were hooked on 'em...
Kitty
Hello Kitty
Boss of Tina

Postby kjackson » Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:08 am

Thanks for the encouragement. I'm trying to keep all this in perspective. It's just that the anal retentive side of me likes things just so-so when I'm trying to work. Sadly this whole tracking thing has just become that, a job.

I thought I would be able to set it up and let it run but you know it is never that easy. I do this crap for a living so I should have known.

It was unpleasant at my house last night and now I'm feeling bad about being an ass around my family. I think I need a vacation.

Kermit
Last edited by kjackson on Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Never pass up an opportunity to keep your mouth shut. - Winston Churchill

There are people dying every day that have never lived. - me

It'll become painfully obvious when the gun owners become "unreasonable".
kjackson
The PURDY One

Postby Maria V » Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:02 am

It was unpleasant at my house last night and now I'm feeling bad about being an ass around my family. I think I need a vacation.

Be sure to kiss and make up, then get the hell out the door. And have a safe trip, it sounds like you've got great plans!

Oh, and ditto on the Crazy Horse monument. Verrrrry impressive.
Maria
Retired Presidente
Kermit's Ride Rule: "Don't hit the person in front of you and no whining."
2009 F650GS - "Moose" Veni, Vidi, Vroom!
Maria V
Attack Ninja

Postby sundaeman » Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:29 am

kjackson wrote:...Sadly this whole tracking thing has just become that, a job.

I thought I would be able to set it up and let it run but you know it is never that easy. I do this crap for a living so I should have known.

Same here 1st time I setup the Spot stuff. I'll get the family hooked up if you like, PM me.

Happy Motoring guys.
2006 R1200RT-P

"Who is John Galt?"
sundaeman
Unhappily Ranked

PreviousNext

Return to Ride Stories