Return to West Virginia

Tell Us About Your Rides!

Postby Hello Kitty » Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:51 pm

Another fantastic tale!

The picture of Buzz in front of the Cass Company store should be submitted to aerostich. He looks like a model striking a pose! Plus, it's a motorcycle destination, so it's perfect!
Kitty
Hello Kitty
Boss of Tina

Postby BMWGirl » Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:34 pm

Rick,

NICE report!!!

Thanks for the bike/river picture, I do love it!!!

I have a couple of questions though...

On some of the bridges you crossed, especially the bridge that was closed at Potomac at Bayard, they looked unsafe and scary. From someone who is already nervous about bridges, HOW did you continue to cross them?? Don't they make you nervous?

That was cool that you ran with a deer and her baby, did I tell you when I did the XPLOR event in Charlottesville, I came around a corner and there was a COW on the left side of the road - IN THE ROAD! He kind of did a little trot too but I left him. :lol:

Maybe I mis-read the timeline but were in MD and the next pic is Davis and Blackwater Falls. I've heard of these places, are they in MD or in WV??

The cracked bus was funny. Hey Hey Hey it's FAAAAAT Albert!! That's what I was picturing on the bus comment. :lol:

The Odd Fellows Hall, looks like ghosts are hanging in the window!!

If you find out the answer to your picture in Etam, will you please let us know?

The church with the nifty tower, did you actually go inside the church?? I didn't know if it was open and people could walk in. The tower is interesting!

Finally, I'm surprised there were things left in the Nancy Hanks monument. I would have thought vandals would have gotten to it by now. I'm glad they haven't! :lol:

Okay no more questions. I enjoyed reading the write up and THIS was my favorite picture!!

You look happy and relaxed!!! Looks like you had a good time, thanks for sharing!!

Tina
BECAUSE I CAN!!!
IBA #37898 - IBR - 2017 IBA #565 Woohoo

2015 R1200GSA white w/PURPLE :-)
'10 K1300GT
'05 R1200ST

"Riding is about having an adventure - you just go with it and No Whining!" Kermit
BMWGirl
GO COWBOYS!

Postby Bicyclist » Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:05 pm

BMRGirl wrote:did I tell you when I did the XPLOR event in Charlottesville, I came around a corner and there was a COW on the left side of the road - IN THE ROAD! He kind of did a little trot too but I left him. Tina

:P
George

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons
Bicyclist
A.K.A. SANTA!!!

Postby BMWGirl » Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:14 pm

Bicyclist wrote:
BMRGirl wrote:did I tell you when I did the XPLOR event in Charlottesville, I came around a corner and there was a COW on the left side of the road - IN THE ROAD! SHE kind of did a little trot too but I left HER. Tina

OKAY BLASTER JR!!!!

FIXT!!! :lol:
BECAUSE I CAN!!!

'10 K1300GT
'05 R1200ST

"Riding is about having an adventure - you just go with it and No Whining!" Kermit
BMWGirl
GO COWBOYS!

Postby JimVonBaden » Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:17 pm

Bicyclist wrote:
BMRGirl wrote:did I tell you when I did the XPLOR event in Charlottesville, I came around a corner and there was a COW on the left side of the road - IN THE ROAD! He kind of did a little trot too but I left him. Tina

Apparently Tina tries not to assign genders, but accomodate all doG's creatures! :lol:

Jim :brow

PS Sorry for the doG comment! :oops:
JimVonBaden
Smooth Motorcycle Operator

Postby BMWGirl » Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:41 pm

JimVonBaden wrote:
Bicyclist wrote:

Apparently Tina tries not to assign genders, but accomodate all doG's creatures! :lol:

PS Sorry for the doG comment! :oops:

What can I say, that Cow made me nervous and still makes me nervous just thinking about HER so I got a little confused typing about HER!!! SHE may not have been full grown but SHE was a funny site to see on the side of the road!!!!!
BECAUSE I CAN!!!

'10 K1300GT
'05 R1200ST

BMWGirl
GO COWBOYS!

Postby ERC Scott » Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:22 am

BMRGirl wrote:
On some of the bridges you crossed, especially the bridge that was closed at Potomac at Bayard, they looked unsafe and scary. From someone who is already nervous about bridges, HOW did you continue to cross them?? Don't they make you nervous?

My brother has a similar bridge issue - he's a Marine so it's not a fear issue per se, mostly a vertigo thing. In Alaska we rode across a rickety wooden approximation of a bridge to access a glacier. It was a privately owned bridge and was missing the occasional plank, etc. that let you see thru the bridge surface to the icy torrent below, if so inclined. Before departing the glacier to return to the main road, he was asking if I might ride both bikes (in sequence). I asked if he was looking down when riding, he was, so I said try it while keeping eyes up looking towards the end of the bridge. Worked like a charm. Just remember what Lindsey Buckingham wrote/sang - "Don't look down". Scott
2016 R1200RS
2005 R1200 GS
2015 1290 SuperDuke-R

You don't choose your life, you live it.
ERC Scott
Board Wizard

Postby Rick F. » Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:03 pm

Yellowjacket wrote:Rick: Great ride and pics. Our paths probably crossed around Yokum as three of us rode in that area on Saturday - a couple of R1150R and my R1150GS.

YJ,

There were a large number of motorcycles around Yokum's that Saturday afternoon and evening--many of them temporarily escaping the rain, others staying there like we were. I didn't see any other BMWs, however--just the usual cruisers and a much larger than normal number of Triumph Tigers.

Next time, I hope we'll bump into each other ... no, wait ... I hope our paths will cross ... no, that doesn't sound right either ... hope we get to say "hi" and visit for a while!

Bicyclist wrote:Another fine report!

If you squint and look carefully, in the picture of the courthouse in Philippi, you can see the Civil War Amputation Plaque that is part of the club's Facts and Trivia Tour.

Hint: put a plastic grocery bag over each foot before you try to put on your rain pants. You'll be amazed how much easier it is.

George,

Guess I'll have to pay more attention to the Facts and Trivia Tour--I didn't realize we had one. Thanks for the tip on the grocery bags. I'll give it a try, but only if no one is looking. I already look like a giraffe putting on a girdle as it is...

Also, is there any way to use that tip to help get rain pants off over boots? That's where my real problem is. I should really just break down and buy a proper motorcycling rain suit, but I haven't found any in an extra tall size.

Unity wrote:Quite a tour! Thanks, Rick.

--John

John,

I'm glad you enjoyed the write-up. I suspect you've been on virtually all of those roads, and many more in WV. It's a magical place.

BKling wrote:You ARE the Master of the Ride Report.

Many thanks for another wonderful tale. :clap:

Bryant,

Thanks! And thanks, too, for the Canon photography tips at the Square Route Rally. I love my Canon S2 IS, but I may spring for the latest version to get the higher resolution.

A digital SLR would be even better (I miss my old Nikon FE2 film camera), but I'm spoiled by the 12x zoom and outstanding movie capability of the S2.

RJP3579 wrote:Nice write-up. I don't think I have taken that many pictures ever!! :lol:

Rick,

Thanks very much. I've been getting progressively more carried away on the number of pictures (in part on the assumption that most BMWBMW members have fast Internet connections). And just for good measure, I edited my original article to add 4 more pictures, taken by Buzz!

Firebird wrote:You certainly couldn't get great pictures like that using a disposable camera. :shock: :lol: After seeing these pictures, I am now going to get a digital camera. :D

Dawn,

See above response to Bryant--and talk to him about good candidates for cameras. I think the latest version of the Canon S2 (the S5?) only costs about $300, which is a bargain for such a versatile camera. I hear the G9 is also outstanding. Buzz recently got a Canon A650IS, which has the same lens, sensor, and other critical parts as the G9. He's really pleased with it.

dgraling wrote:Rick - when you went to Philippi you could have grabbed the Philippi Civil War Amputation Plaque - it was located right downtown at one of the Church's on the side of church.

First amputation that occurred in the Civil War.

Don,

As I noted above, I've been oblivious to this challenge but I'll pay more attention now. I had hoped to tour the museum in the former railroad station, which apparently has a lot of Civil War items (not to mention the infamous mummies), but we never had time. I'll save it for the next visit.

Thanks, everyone, for the positive feedback. I'm really glad you enjoyed the report and pictures.

Rick F.
For all my tour articles, check out rsftripreporter.net.

2020 Mercedes-Benz SL550
2013 BMW 335i convertible (sold)
2007 Aston Martin V8 Vantage (sold)
2006 BMW Z4 3.0i roadster (sold)
2005 BMW R1200GS (retired)
2003 BMW F650CS (sold)
Rick F.
Board Wizard

Postby Rick F. » Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:25 pm

Flash! wrote:Rick, your ride reports just keep getting better and better! You were on some of the roads we encountered on our "Rider's Workshop" a few weeks ago I was so busy concentrating on the road and the instruction, though, I didn't see ANY of the beautiful scenes you pictured.

I'll get to work on the flowers soon (BTW, something for scale would be really helpful!). Those were beautiful little flowers!

I just returned from a weekend trip down to Lynchburg to tour Poplar Forest, Jefferson's second home. It was well worth the trip--a fascinating place that's in the process of being lovingly restored.

Thanks for the great ride stories!!

Jody

Flash! wrote:Well, Rick, the lovely pink flowers appear to be Crown Vetch.

http://www.illinoiswildflowers.info/wee ... _vetch.htm

As beautiful as they are, they're quite invasive: "Crown Vetch is another introduced plant from abroad that has run amuk in the countryside" according to this article. It adds nitrogen to the soil, but apparently ALL parts of the plant are toxic, and mammalian herbivores won't eat them. :shock: So much for thinning out the deer.

Jody

Jody,

Keep those cards and letters coming! Many of the roads we were on would be perfect for "cornering instructions" and other riding tips, so I'm not surprised that the Workshop folks selected that area. I looked up Poplar Forest, and now I want to go there, too. So many historic/scenic/fun places, and so few unencumbered weekend days...

Here's the "scale" picture for the flowers, although you easily identified the Crown Vetch without it. (I thought Crown Vetch was something that State Police drive?) Maybe I'll manage to stump you one of these days--but not yet!

JimVonBaden wrote:Awesome as usual Rick!

One of several visits to the Fairfax Stone.

Jim,

Thanks--glad you enjoyed the report. I was disappointed not to see you at the Fairfax Stone, since I know you've been a regular visitor. The Park has paved the access road since I was last there. It used to be a rough gravel road, but now most of it is smooth new asphalt.

BTW, looking back over ride reports from earlier years, I see that you used to post quite a number of them. You've probably been too busy with DVD filming, sales, etc., but I know I would enjoy reading more of your write-up's if you ever have time again.

pbharvey wrote:Rick,
The latest issue of RoadRunner Magazine had a blurb requesting reader submitted ride stories. You're a slam dunk for that.

Brian,

Thanks for the idea! I subscribe to RoadRunner, and enjoy it a lot, but I hadn't noticed their offer to readers. It was a similar suggestion that ended up with my Neil Peart story being published in BMW ON, so I'll give this opportunity a try, too!

ERC Scott wrote:Excellent work, simply excellent. Scott

Scott,

Thanks very much! Almost all of this trip was on pavement, and there were times (especially in the rain) that I wondered how an RT would feel compared to my GS. Any thoughts??

RocketMan wrote:A most excellent adventure and very nice report as always, Rick, other than the fact the trip was obviously WAY over-planned and the fact you didn’t schedule it to coincide with the Fof held at Seneca Rocks right in Yokum land the previous weekend shows a compendious disregard for your fellow photographers/riders and the fact that it contained way too much useful and interesting information and along with many too many excellent photographs…

But other than that…. Well done! Ha Ha!

RM

RM,

Image Image Image What a hot dog! (And thanks for the wise-guy compliments.)

We heard from a KLR rider about the /5 gathering at Yokum's the prior weekend. Sounds like you guys got a lot of rain, too.

Again, thanks one and all for the kind words (and flower identifications).

Rick F.

2020 Mercedes-Benz SL550
2003 BMW F650CS (sold)
Rick F.
Board Wizard

Postby Rick F. » Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:47 pm

Hello Kitty wrote:Another fantastic tale!

The picture of Buzz in front of the Cass Company store should be submitted to aerostich. He looks like a model striking a pose! Plus, it's a motorcycle destination, so it's perfect!

Kitty,

You're right, he does look like someone modeling motorcycle gear! I wonder how much Aerostich would be willing to pay (me) for this picture? Unless I forget, I'll be sure to share it (grudgingly) with Buzz.

BMRGirl wrote:Rick,

NICE report!!!

Thanks for the bike/river picture, I do love it!!!

I have a couple of questions though...

That was cool that you ran with a deer and her baby, did I tell you when I did the XPLOR event in Charlottesville, I came around a corner and there was a COW on the left side of the road - IN THE ROAD! He kind of did a little trot too but I left him. :lol:

Maybe I mis-read the timeline but were in MD and the next pic is Davis and Blackwater Falls. I've heard of these places, are they in MD or in WV??

The cracked bus was funny. Hey Hey Hey it's FAAAAAT Albert!! That's what I was picturing on the bus comment. :lol:

The Odd Fellows Hall, looks like ghosts are hanging in the window!!

If you find out the answer to your picture in Etam, will you please let us know?

The church with the nifty tower, did you actually go inside the church?? I didn't know if it was open and people could walk in. The tower is interesting!

Finally, I'm surprised there were things left in the Nancy Hanks monument. I would have thought vandals would have gotten to it by now. I'm glad they haven't! :lol:

Okay no more questions. I enjoyed reading the write up and THIS was my favorite picture!!

You look happy and relaxed!!! Looks like you had a good time, thanks for sharing!!

Tina

Tina,

Regarding the bridge, they hadn't blocked it off completely--a narrow opening was left for pedestrians. I figured that if several people could walk over the bridge simultaneously, then it was likely to be safe for me plus a GS. Also, it looked plenty sturdy. But I appreciate your concern on my behalf!

Regarding your cow encounter, it reminds me of an SCCA race weekend where I was in the first morning practice session and we discovered a small herd of cows milling about the exit of turn 1 at Summit Point. We stopped, got out, and helped the corner workers herd them back into the infield (where Bill Scott was apparently making an extra buck by letting them graze). Cows are hard to herd!

Davis and Blackwater Falls State Park are both in West Virginia, but they're very close to the Maryland border and maybe 25 miles from the Virginia border. In riding Route 50 from Winchester, VA to Philippi, WV, you temporarily go back into Maryland for a few miles before re-entering WV. It can get pretty confusing.

I'm really sorry I didn't go back for the cracked bus picture--it was so unusual and picturesque. I, too, was thinking of captions like, "Just how heavy were those kids in the back rows??" The roof of the bus was cracked about 1 foot wide, and the crack narrowed as it went down the side of the bus, eventually ending a foot or two above the "rocker panel." Quite a sight.

So far, no one (not even Unity/John) has come up with a suggestion for the Etam ruin. A luxury, 3-story chicken coop? An iron furnace manned by a midget, a normal person, and me?? A really elaborate tree house??? I still have no idea whatsoever, but I'll keep you posted if I dream up any other ridiculous theories...

I was surprised to see the stuff in the Nancy Hanks cabin, too. In addition to the bedstead, there was a grindstone and another piece of 1700s machinery that I didn't recognize. Fortunately, it didn't look like anyone had actually broken in or vandalized the cabin, other than breaking some of the windows.

I'm glad you liked the happy and relaxed picture of me at "Alice's Restaurant." I was happy because we finally found a place for breakfast after going by so many that were closed. I was relaxed because a local couple told us where an open gas station could be found, after I'd gone 25 of my 50 mile reserve (and past at least 6 closed stations)!

Once again, thanks everyone.

Rick F.

PS: A colleague at work has suggested that I compile all of these ride reports into a book. Any interest out there?

2020 Mercedes-Benz SL550
2003 BMW F650CS (sold)
Rick F.
Board Wizard

Postby Blaster229 » Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:19 pm

Better than a book, put them on DVD and sell them online through links in your signature line that you use to post on message boards :)
Blaster229
Ms. Kitty, Jr

Postby ERC Scott » Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:55 pm

Rick F. wrote:Scott,

Thanks very much! Almost all of this trip was on pavement, and there were times (especially in the rain) that I wondered how an RT would feel compared to my GS. Any thoughts??

Having owned both, the RT will handle any pavement as well as a GS, if not better. Once the pavement ends, most people will wish they had a GS (or at least GS-type tires). In light rain the air bubble of an RT at speed will keep you drier a little longer. To me the GS feels a little quicker, while the RT feels a little more stable, yet still quite nimble in spite of the weight disadvantage. I haven't ridden the new "toaster tank" GS, others have really praised the engine/tranny/low saddle improvements, but could be just marketing PR to get people off the 05 GS onto the new model :roll: Scott
2016 R1200RS
2005 R1200 GS
2015 1290 SuperDuke-R

You don't choose your life, you live it.
ERC Scott
Board Wizard

Postby Flash! » Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:00 pm

Rick F. wrote:Any interest out there?

MOST DEFINITELY!
You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to
skydive twice.

2012 F650GS, Yellow and Black
Flash!
Board Guru

Postby BMWGirl » Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:19 pm

Blaster229 wrote:Better than a book, put them on DVD and sell them online through links in your signature line that you use to post on message boards :)

Kind of modify Blasters idea and it's great!! Definitely make a book and then plug it through your signature line when you post like Jim and I do. It's very helpful in getting the word out.

Great idea Blaster!!! :lol:
BECAUSE I CAN!!!

'10 K1300GT
'05 R1200ST

BMWGirl
GO COWBOYS!

Postby RocketMan » Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:14 am

I’ve been looking into self-publishing for a while now, for both my photos and writings and as such here are my thoughts on it. Please understand that is not meant to discourage it, but rather an honest evaluation stemming from my research.
Self publishing sounds like a great idea and there are certainly lots of places on-line that offer the service, but it is really practical? As you look around the first thing that you’ll see on most sites are any number of “testimonials” on how successful their authors have been and they really push the idea that Anyone can write a book or publish a photo book. Sure, but remember they are trying to sell you a product so naturally they are going to push that idea, they are after all in the business to make money! Also most sites have required minimum number of books you must buy, and the cost of start up can range from $500 to well over several thousand. This is UP FRONT costs to you. So until you sell those you’re in the hole and there is no guarantee you will sell any!
While your work may be popular on sites/forums you belong to, would those people be willing to buy a book version, when they can simply see them on-line? Consider the simplest book will have to sell for around $25 to cover the cost of printing on four color press on glossy paper with binding and cover, and that for a small book, both size and page number, and that's without shipping! Say your cost is $500 for 20 books of say 20-30 pages? If you include text then that’s maybe 20 images if you are trying to sell it as a “photo” book since you will want to have full size images in order to maximize the impact of those images. So that’s maybe 1 or 2 of your reports.

Things to consider.

1. Cost to publish: most places want to sell you a minimum number of books starting around $500 minimum and many want thousands of dollars up front.
2. Number of pages you need, the cost goes up with number of pages, so, say you have 50 images, plus text that’s 75 to 100 pages per book, that gets pricy real fast. Are people going to pay upwards of $35-40 and more for your book? (Well, will they, really!!??)
3. Do you really have a market? Sure your friends and on-line forum members like your work, but would they really buy enough books to even cover the start-up costs/initial fees, when they can view the images/test for free on-line? Be honest with yourself on this one!
4. Is the book going to feature the picture or the text or both: In other words if the images are main subject then you want to have them full page, that will really add to the number of pages and costs. Could hit 50 or 100 pages easy once you include text. If it’s a combo, then maybe the images can be half a page, but remember that really lowers the impact they have. Try it at home and print some pages out and see what happens when you down-size the images. Again are people going to really buy a book of ride stores?
5. Unlike Jim’s CD, which he can have copied out pretty cheaply and therefor his costs are a lot lower and so its more profitable, a book is totally different. Think about this too (I KNOW I have!) how many books do you buy compared to CD’s?
6. Would people buy a CD of your work, again they can download it off the net and make their own copy, though why would they even do that since they can view it on-line.
7. Book design: Having worked for a publisher for 8 plus years doing camera ready art work and some cover design work, this is no easy task, layout design, arranging the photos (if you do multiple photos per page), spell checking, font, etc. takes effort, it is a art form in and of itself and can have a huge impact on the quality and salability of you product.
8. Types of publishers? There seem to be two types:
a. On Demand: Some “on-demand” publishers may fit the bill, there are some that allow you to upload a formatted copy of your book and then take orders and only print when an order comes in. No up front cost ( very small membership fees, more like a "club"), and some have software with standard layouts you can use and just drop in your text and photos. Great, but then your book is more a clone fo what everyone else on the site has, than something “you” designed.
b. Self-Publishing: These houses generally require a big up-front cost, some have publishing software and generally allow for more freedom of layouts, etc. but then that goes back to No. 7 and 1 above.

I know, it’s a hard pill to sallow but an honest evaluation will probably be that the only way to do it is at a site that does not have any up-front costs but will produce a quality product at a reasonable cost. So far I have found one that may fit the bill for me, and may well for you if you decide to peruse it.

Its here http://www.blurb.com/

but I haven’t done enough research to decide if its really good, there are a number of sites out there that will sell you a bill of goods and stick you with a bunch of books that never sell and then they want to ship them all to you after a given interval if they don’t sell so they don’t have to store them.
And yes, there are some photo sharing sites that offer one-off printing of books, but have you actually seen the quality of the printing/binding? Again costs for photo-quality printing is NOT cheap, we're nottalking something you sent to family, like scrap-booking, this something you are SELLING and therefore really need to have good quality or you are doing yourself and your target audiance a diservice.

In other words DO YOUR RESEARCH!!

RM
Fromerly MR. MonkeyButt now Mr. Breezy-Butt!
http://roadrunes.com

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts" - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

"I think you're a NUT!"- Tina
RocketMan
Board Wizard

PreviousNext

Return to Ride Stories