"Ghost Towns of the Upper Potomac"

Tell Us About Your Rides!

Postby Hello Kitty » Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:17 am

Wow Rick! Great stuff as always. I love the Lord of the Potomac shot!

But what I really want to know is.... How was the biker bar? Any good brawls? :lol:
Kitty
Hello Kitty
Boss of Tina

Postby Rick F. » Sun Aug 12, 2007 5:48 pm

Hello Kitty wrote:Good stuff, man!! Yeah, Luke. That place is pretty, but it smells AWFUL!!! It's not Westvaco anymore... Can't remember the name. That place is (or was when I worked in Baltimore, assume they still are) a customer of Otis. Lots and lots of calls there.

Anyway, if you head toward Luke from Oakland, the signs warning truckers about the steep grade are amusing. Brooke was particularly concerned about the one that said something to the effect, "TRUCKERS!!! If your brakes fail, ditch truck immediately!"

When we camped out there a few weeks ago, I took some back roads that were just lovely. I wish I could remember the names of some of them... There was a dirt road that went over a mountain, maybe 5 miles long. About half way back, there's a pit toilet out in the middle of nowhere. Very weird!

Kitty,

The sign to truckers would make a fun picture. So now you have to go back and get one (or at least remember where it was, so you can tell me.)

Maria V wrote:I love these posts, Rick. Another fine job. :D

Maria,

Thanks! If I ever go on an extended trip, like you did, I'll have to allow roughly 5 times the number of days (to accommodate all the picture-takin', don't ya know...)

Unity wrote:Rick, your role as master of the Potomac is not presumptuous in the least. You have earned the distinction. :D

--John 8)
(Nice job. :) )

John,

I hadn't thought about it that way--thanks, I accept!

BMRGirl wrote:
Rick F. wrote:

For good measure, the Fairfax Stone also marks the headwaters of the Potomac River, which begins from an underground spring at this spot. Here I am, acting as Richard Lord Foster, temporary master of the Potomac River.

Hey Rick - nice report!!! Glad you made it to the "right" spot - but be careful of the "Children of the Corn"!!!!

You are truly the "Master of the Potomac River" We are soooo not worthy!!!! Image

Tina,

You're waaayyy too kind (but don't stop!) I wondered about something like the "Children of the Corn." This was the view just beyond the little park at the Fairfax Stone--something caused all that destruction.

JimVonBaden wrote:As always, your mix of history and personal ride fun is entertaining and riviting!

Thanks for sharing your ride, and making me jealous of the time you spend on these journeys of discovery!

I have made two pilgrimages to the Fairfax Stone:

In 2006 with Mike Baum,

And 4 years ago with some good friends. I was a bit heavier then! :lol:

Jim 8)

Jim,

Thanks--it's definitely a fun and historically significant destination. When I looked at your first picture, I mistook it for the one that I took! (BTW, who took your beard?)

Hello Kitty wrote:Wow Rick! Great stuff as always. I love the Lord of the Potomac shot!

But what I really want to know is.... How was the biker bar? Any good brawls? :lol:

Kitty,

Din't hear no brawls, li'l girl, but th' onliest thang louder than the pick-me-up's squealin' their-all tahrs wuz them pipes on Bubba's Goldwing chopper...

Now, if'fn you had'a bin ther', would'a bin brawls aplenty, I'm tellin' ya!

Thanks everyone--really appreciate all the positive feedback.

Rick F.
For all my tour articles, check out rsftripreporter.net.

2020 Mercedes-Benz SL550
2013 BMW 335i convertible (sold)
2007 Aston Martin V8 Vantage (sold)
2006 BMW Z4 3.0i roadster (sold)
2005 BMW R1200GS (retired)
2003 BMW F650CS (sold)
Rick F.
Board Wizard

Postby Hello Kitty » Sun Aug 12, 2007 6:01 pm

Funny! We went to a cubs v white sox game at Wrigley last summer. Now THERE were some brawls! Fun, fun, fun!!!

The trucker signs are coming from the opposite direction that you were heading. You were going UP the hill, the truckers would be coming down. I've been by there several times. Can prolly make a special trip at some point, but probably not THIS year as I have loads of QIT stuff that I NEED to get. :lol:
Kitty
Hello Kitty
Boss of Tina

Postby JimVonBaden » Sun Aug 12, 2007 11:07 pm

My beard, and 120 pounds went at nearly the same time.

So much gray, and at such a young age! :lol: It had to go!

Jim 8)
JimVonBaden
Smooth Motorcycle Operator

Postby Bauer » Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:44 am

Awesome! You know there is amazing trout fishing up there!
Günter & Christine (a.k.a. Tigger - T.I. double grrrrrr)
2004 Artic White R1200C & 1994 Red K1100LT
----------------------------
It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
Bauer
Dirty Rally Girl

ghost towns

Postby kneeslider » Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:26 pm

excelent!

if the real estate market doesn't improve there will be a lot more in a few years!!!!!
kneeslider

Postby RocketMan » Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:46 pm

Great report as always, dude! The ride up past Kempton and the Allegheny Plateau is a great place to visit, I've done fairfax stone a few times and my recent ride up to Moragantown along 50 was another great ride over it. that whole area has a ton of history just waiting to be explored.

Thanks for sharing...

RM
Fromerly MR. MonkeyButt now Mr. Breezy-Butt!
http://roadrunes.com

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts" - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

"I think you're a NUT!"- Tina
RocketMan
Board Wizard

Postby BchrisL » Tue Aug 14, 2007 3:01 pm

That, to me looks like the logging company has just harvested the pine, only the scrub hardwood has been left. That is a prime rabbit and quail hunting area!
BchrisL

Postby eap » Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:47 pm

very very nice trip, thanx for the report and inspiration, Rick.
eap
Chesapeake Bay Watershed http://www.chesapeakebay.net
"Over the Mountains Of the Moon, Down the Valley of the Shadow, Ride, boldly ride, E.A.Poe
14 R1200GS LC
01 R1150GS (100K smiles)
81 R80G/S (~50k smiles)
IBA # 60680
eap
Board Wizard

Postby Rick F. » Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:13 pm

eap,

Thanks! It was a great trip, full of scenic places, history, lost hopes, environmental catastrophes, etc. And it was fascinating to watch the Potomac River gradually recede until it was a small stream and then merely a steady drip from a spring.

Rick F.
For all my tour articles, check out rsftripreporter.net.

2020 Mercedes-Benz SL550
2013 BMW 335i convertible (sold)
2007 Aston Martin V8 Vantage (sold)
2006 BMW Z4 3.0i roadster (sold)
2005 BMW R1200GS (retired)
2003 BMW F650CS (sold)
Rick F.
Board Wizard

Previous

Return to Ride Stories