The Drummer, the Private Eye, and Me (Rush Fans Take Note)

Tell Us About Your Rides!

Postby Rick Lee » Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:43 pm

I've got some cool Rush stories of my own and even a few shots of me with Alex and Geddy, long before digicams. But I've only seen Neil walk past me in Europe and ride past me in VA Beach, never gotten to chat with him.
Rick Lee

Postby jck22903 » Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:11 am

Man, that was a great read. Thanks for the background on "Red Barchetta", probably my favorite Rush song.

As you can see, it takes something pretty special for me to post on this board. :D

It's also clear to see that Neil paid tribute to your original story, with lines like, "Tires spitting gravel ..." and "Go screaming through the valley as another joins the chase ...."
Last edited by jck22903 on Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
jck22903

Postby GTS_Rider » Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:12 am

Rick F. wrote:...As a consequence, this post is getting more than 2,000 hits a day! (I hope the server can take it...)...

Hey Rick,

I'm not a beemer guy, but I'm a major Rush fan and just signed up on this board to say thanks for the post. The back-story and the ride report were both super-cool. =D>

I'll be hitting up the Hollywood Bowl show a week from Monday, soooo looking forward to it.

As a side note, if you've got any local Dry-Ice suppliers in your area, I'd highly recommend packing your server with a blanket of it.

This thread is making it's way around the internet and will likely be linked on every moto-board by weeks end. 2,000 hits a day? Ha, that ain't sh*t, wait for the next week... (just a wild guess, I know there's a hell of a lot of moto-riding Rush fans out there).

Thanks again for the Story and pics,

Rick D.
GTS_Rider

Postby JimVonBaden » Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:23 am

As beautifully done as always Rick!!!

Jim 8)

PS Thanks for the plug!
JimVonBaden
Smooth Motorcycle Operator

Postby dadsabiker » Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:45 am

Absolutely great story....mesmerizing! This is an experience, I'm sure, that you will not soon forget!

The Chevron station, which is approximately 40 miles north of Snowshoe, which you accurately described as "in the middle of nowhere" now has premium again. I was forced to stop earlier on my route and put a couple of gallons of regular in my RT, seeking out that elusive premium in east-central West Virginia (a RARE commodity indeed). Finally, this Chevron station appeared that not only took care of my gas needs, but also had a quaint little restaurant attached to the side which served a great under-$5.00 breakfast. I commented to the woman who I presumed to be the owner that gas stations with premium are quite hard to find in this area. She laughed and said gas stations in general can be quite hard to find, especially to the north, where I had just come from. If this is the same station that I believe it is, there is no "pay at the pump", which means an engaging conversation with the proprietor can become part of your ride experience. Unfortunately, I didn't have the thrill of riding with a world-class drummer, but my riding experience in this part of "God's Country" was no less wonderful.

Again, GREAT job with your ride story. I'm going to forward it on to several of my friends, one of whom is a huge Rush fan. I'm sure that they'll enjoy it as much as I did!
dadsabiker

Postby jarvis » Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:53 am

Fantastic story, thanks for sharing.
jarvis
Frequent Poster

Postby DUKR » Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:54 pm

Rick -

This was perhaps the most unexpected surprise to come home to!! I always love your stories and pictures, and you have now reached a plateau I would not have been able to foresee! Absolutely incredible! :D

I was at Nissan that night for the concert - I have loved this band since they played a thousand years ago in my little hometown in upstate NY. I follow Neil's site and have been in awe of the experiences he has shared and have knowingly nodded my head as he makes reference to his therapy sessions on the GS. He's got an amazing outlook on life, is such a gifted writer, and has my full respect and admiration. He's had to deal with way more than any one person should.

It was Robin's first RUSH concert, and being a B-52 fan, I wondered how she would handle it. As it turned out, she loved it (of course) and now has the new album on her mp3 player! :lol:

She called their music "Cerebral Rock" - for her mainly because of the lyrics Neil writes. For me, it's such a complex compilation of technical musicianship, culture, and life lived that I tend to agree with her label. The thinking person will get much more out of RUSH music than others. Now you've more than successfully tied it to our own meager "real world" of BMWBMW - another Sybil in my collection. What else can I say other than "AWESOME!"?

Please - submit this to ALL options... It more than deserves to be shared with as many eager eyes as possible!
DUKR

Postby Sonic6 » Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:01 pm

chiba wrote:Seriously Rick, you need to be writing these things up for the BTS. Share your gift and talent with the entire club - not just those of us smart enough to hang out online :)

OH and I'm incredibly jealous!

--chiba

+1

++1 !
Sonic6

Postby TRawls » Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:49 pm

So did y'all check out http://www.songfacts.com/detail.php?id=2376? There is an interesting quote there:

There is a 1981 movie starring Lee Majors and Burgess Meredeth called The Last Chase, which was inspired by the same story. The movie left a lot to be desired, but the final showdown scene is straight out of "Red Barchetta." (thanks, Mike - San Francisco, CA)

Small world! Excuse me, I'm headed to the video store. . .

TRawls
TRawls

Postby BchrisL » Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:08 pm

I had scanned the pictures several times and not really read the narrative you so eloquently wrote. I finally got a chance to read your story.

I went home yesterday and asked Geoff "You got any Rush?" he replied, "Who’s askin?" I immediately sensed it was some of his treasured collection. He said you want the old stuff or the new stuff? I said do you have the one about the car? He went back to his room and in a few minutes had had compiled a play list for me and burned a CD for me to listen to. I took to time to listen to the lyrics for the first time, as I had heard the music many times and could hum along with most all of the tracks. I cal always remember the music, but I can never remember the names.

I guess I will try a bottle of The Macallan, and leave my old standby The Glenlivet on the shelf next time. Perhaps next week at the beach I will have an opportunity to sample them both at the same time.

Excellent photographs. Thanks for sharing this ride. I am sure it was exciting, it is going to be one of those milestones in your memory.
BchrisL

Postby Jager » Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:31 pm

Just want to echo my thanks for a terrific story, Rick. They don't come any better than this.

How can I get a copy of your Mapsource route?
Jager

Postby Blaster229 » Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:43 pm

Gonna mildly hi-jack this into a single malt thread. Macallan is good, I prefer the 12yo or cask strength. However, Talisker 10.................... 8-[
Blaster229
Ms. Kitty, Jr

Postby Rick Lee » Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:28 pm

Talisker is good stuff, but I can't have it too often. Balvenie 15 is my fav.
Rick Lee

Postby Rick F. » Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:44 pm

jck, GTS_Rider, JVB, dad, jarvis, Sonic6, TRawls, Michelle, Chris, & Jager,

Thanks, all, for your posts. It's really interesting to see how Rush has affected our various lives. It's also nice to know that we've picked up a new member from California, to complement (or is that "balance out"?) The Dude...

I'm pretty sure that the gas station you described, dadsabiker, was the same one that Neil, Michael, and I stopped at. It was run by a feisty older woman. I didn't notice an attached restaurant, but I didn't get a good look at the station itself. Small world!

Neil seemed pleased to have a copy of your maintenance DVD, Jim, although I don't know if he's watched it yet. He does his own oil and filter changes, and I suspect he'll want to try some other things after seeing the video--after all, you make it look really easy.

I owe the MapSource route to a couple of other guys, Jager, and I'll add you to the list. I just need to download the tracks from the Zumo and convert them to a route. Hopefully I'll get to it in the next day or so.

Michelle, I enjoyed your thoughtful comments about the band. I'll send you a PM momentarily to follow up further.

Thanks again, everyone, for helping make this special occasion even more so!

Rick F.
For all my tour articles, check out rsftripreporter.net.

2020 Mercedes-Benz SL550
2013 BMW 335i convertible (sold)
2007 Aston Martin V8 Vantage (sold)
2006 BMW Z4 3.0i roadster (sold)
2005 BMW R1200GS (retired)
2003 BMW F650CS (sold)
Rick F.
Board Wizard

Postby dadsabiker » Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:26 am

I'm pretty sure that the gas station you described, dadsabiker, was the same one that Neil, Michael, and I stopped at. It was run by a feisty older woman.

Feisty older woman = DEFINITELY the same station!

Again, I really enjoyed the ride story, Rick. I'm sure I speak for all when I say thanks for sharing this!
dadsabiker

PreviousNext

Return to Ride Stories