May is Motorcycle Safety Month!

This forum will primarily be used to share/discuss information primarily related to motorcycle operator health and safety.

May is Motorcycle Safety Month!

Postby CCATTrn95 » Sat May 13, 2017 5:11 am

motorcycleawenessmonth.jpg
motorcycleawenessmonth.jpg (19.72 KiB) Viewed 2830 times

[flash=]Happy Motorcycle Safety Month![/flash]

I guess it's fitting that May has been selected for this recognition, it is the unofficial start of the riding season, and subsequently, the time when those who don't ride year-round dust of their bikes, bring them out of hibernation, and get out on the road.

As we begin to share more of the road with riders of all levels of experience, there will be the inevitable encounters with autos and nature (much fewer, I pray), and since the operator is the single most important piece of safety equipment in/on any vehicle, I'd like to explore that a little further.

So, for my first posting, I'd like to hear from you: What does motorcycle safety mean to you? How do you prepare for a ride? How do you contend with other vehicular traffic? And what safety tips would you like to share with fellow riders?

Thanks, and as always...ride safe.

lorenzo
CCATTrn95

Re: May is Motorcycle Safety Month!

Postby bdimon » Tue May 16, 2017 9:04 pm

What does motorcycle safety mean to you?

Having the skills to control the motorcycle in an emergency situation and a strategy to avoid emergency situations.

How do you prepare for a ride?

I gear up with an Aerostitch, full-face helmet, boots, and gloves. Before I roll out, I remind myself that I might need all of that today.

How do you contend with other vehicular traffic?

:Blaster:

Really, I try to stay to the edge of the lane so I will have the space between the lanes for an escape path. I move around in the lane to make myself more visible and get more space from the passing cars. I prefer to stay in the right lane and let the idiots pass me on just one side.

And what safety tips would you like to share with fellow riders?

Keep Training. Keep Practicing. I signed up for the Reg Pridmore CLASS this October.
Bruce Dimon
2020 F900XR
President :D
bdimon
Board Guru

Return to Safer Riding