Virginia SB 836

Discussions regarding Government Affairs issues. Moderated by the GA officer

Virginia SB 836

Postby dcgsrider » Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:03 am

Under current Va. law, motorcyclists are required to ride on the seat at all times. Riders have been ticketed to riding off the seat for safety reasons and SB 836 seeks to correct that, and to resolve the conflict between the state-approved rider training program and the Code of Virginia. In the BRC we expressly teach riders to "rise off the seat" to negotiate some hazards, and it is of course a widely accepted practice for riding in areas of low traction. The bill, introduced by Sen Janet Howell (D-Fairfax), is up for consideration in the senate transportation committee tomorrow.

Here's the email I sent to my state Sen., Barbara Favola:

Dear Senator Favola,

I am a motorcyclist, motorcycle rider course instructor, and resident of District 31. I write today to ask your support of SB 836.

Under current law, motorcyclists must remain seated at all times. SB 836 would amend the Code of Virginia to allow riders to stand on the footrests to maneuver through hazards, in such a way that does not endanger the "life, limb, or property of any person." This technique is a widely accepted practice and it is the method we teach beginners in the Virginia Rider Training Program for handling certain kinds of hazards. Over severe bumps (railroad tracks, debris in the road, etc.) and in loose gravel or sand, rising off the seat is often much safer than remaining seating.

Thank you for your time.
Paul Wilson
Arlington, Va.
2009 R1200GS "Franz" Namibia Orange
IBA# 12143
KI4PW
dcgsrider
Board Guru

Re: Virginia SB 836

Postby radon222 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:56 pm

Oh! Some I'm NOT supposed to stand on the pegs to stretch my legs while buzzing down I-95 anymore?? :purdy:
'14 GSAW <--mine
'12 R1200RT <-- The Wifey's pimpin ride
radon222
Board Guru

Postby Unity » Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:48 pm

The section currently in the Code goes back to 1950, with several changes over the years (most recently 1989). I don't really want to research it, but I wonder what prompted the no-standing provision. I wonder if it was there from the beginning or was added by one of the amendments. Why would Virginia's legislators care whether or not a rider stands on the pegs?

--John
(And what kinds of bikes were being targeted? Cruiser riders seldom stand while underway.)
2002 R1150RT, Silver
Silver, the "cool and aloof" color.
(Road & Track Vol. 56, No.2, p. 19)

1971 Triumph Bonneville, Gold
Gold, the "paying the restorer" color.
(Trust me.)
Unity
Shaman

Postby stevebmw » Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:53 pm

Unity wrote:... but I wonder what prompted the no-standing provision. I wonder if it was there from the beginning or was added by one of the amendments. Why would Virginia's legislators care whether or not a rider stands on the pegs?

No research involved whatsoever, but I would hazard a guess it had something to do with showing off on sport bikes.
Steve Anderson
2002 R1150GS
Morton's BMW Motorcycles
Your HQ for GS fun!
Fredericksburg, Virginia
540-891-9844
steve@mortonsbmw.com
http://www.mortonsbmw.com
stevebmw
Board Viking

Postby ChaseH » Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:56 pm

stevebmw wrote:
Unity wrote:... but I wonder what prompted the no-standing provision. I wonder if it was there from the beginning or was added by one of the amendments. Why would Virginia's legislators care whether or not a rider stands on the pegs?

No research involved whatsoever, but I would hazard a guess it had something to do with showing off on sport bikes.

Don't Hate
09 R1200 GS
14 S1000RR HP4

Scuba Travel & Motorcycle photos
http://chaseh.smugmug.com/
ChaseH
Where GS = Gone Skidding

Postby Georgeinva » Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:24 pm

ChaseH wrote:
stevebmw wrote:

Don't Hate

Nope one of the legislators was cut off in a Starbucks parking lot by a peg standing guy on a GS demonstrating his "skills". :lol:
Gridlock Motors
7155 Opal rd
Warrenton VA. 20186
(571) 318 2472
http://www.beemersuberalles.com
http://www.gridlockmotors.com/

"It needs to be about 20% cooler "
Georgeinva
Board Guru

Postby tatort » Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:38 pm

Unity wrote: I don't really want to research it, but I wonder what prompted the no-standing provision.
{deletia}
(And what kinds of bikes were being targeted? Cruiser riders seldom stand while underway.)

probably to limit hooliganism like this:

(BTW, anyone recognise this rider? its a pretty famous name...)
tatort
Frequent Poster

Postby eap » Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:20 pm

Very interesting Tatort, thanks. Found this:

eap
Chesapeake Bay Watershed http://www.chesapeakebay.net
"Over the Mountains Of the Moon, Down the Valley of the Shadow, Ride, boldly ride, E.A.Poe
14 R1200GS LC
01 R1150GS (100K smiles)
81 R80G/S (~50k smiles)
IBA # 60680
eap
Board Wizard

Postby ERC Scott » Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:19 am

I don't recall ever hearing of any rider being ticketed for standing on pegs in VA or any state for that matter. I kinda suspect such a regulation might be on the books in various jurisdictions, however, so that's why I would avoid a standing leg-stretch if I thought a LEO vehicle were in the vicinity. It's just as easy to dangle a leg off the peg to do the stretch providing adequate clearance to the road surface.
2016 R1200RS
2005 R1200 GS
2015 1290 SuperDuke-R

You don't choose your life, you live it.
ERC Scott
Board Wizard

Postby stevebmw » Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:52 am

ERC Scott wrote:... It's just as easy to dangle a leg off the peg to do the stretch providing adequate clearance to the road surface.

Ironically, I HAVE heard of riders being pulled over for just that. If I remember correctly, Tim Moffitt (club member and president from a long time ago) was pulled for riding with his feet dangling. I don't recall if he actually got a ticket, but he received at the least a stern lecture from the cop.
Steve Anderson
2002 R1150GS
Morton's BMW Motorcycles
Your HQ for GS fun!
Fredericksburg, Virginia
540-891-9844
steve@mortonsbmw.com
http://www.mortonsbmw.com
stevebmw
Board Viking

Postby Chiba » Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:46 am

ERC Scott wrote:I don't recall ever hearing of any rider being ticketed for standing on pegs in VA or any state for that matter. I kinda suspect such a regulation might be on the books in various jurisdictions, however, so that's why I would avoid a standing leg-stretch if I thought a LEO vehicle were in the vicinity. It's just as easy to dangle a leg off the peg to do the stretch providing adequate clearance to the road surface.

I got pulled over for standing on the pegs riding down my street when I lived in Annandale. No ticket, cop just told me to stop doing that. He didn't even get out of his car, just pulled up alongside me & put his window down to holler at me.
BMW MOA Digital News Editor www.bmwmoa.org
- 05 R1200GS - 98 K1200RS + Hannigan Classic sidecar -
Chiba
The FUNNY One

Postby Unity » Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:04 pm

T.Wesley wrote:I got pulled over for standing on the pegs

Hooligan.

--John
2002 R1150RT, Silver
Silver, the "cool and aloof" color.
(Road & Track Vol. 56, No.2, p. 19)

1971 Triumph Bonneville, Gold
Gold, the "paying the restorer" color.
(Trust me.)
Unity
Shaman

Postby GSFun » Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:45 pm

Bunch of crap ;-) Every time I stand on my pegs on hardball my hubby says (correctly of course) "you are not supposed to....blah, blah, blah" - what a load of crap! Another law that was derived by some imbecile based on their personal "observational" experience and no true knowledge of riding. Let's get it changed!
Shannon Krammes
2011 G650GS
BMWBMW Membership Chair
membership@bmwbmw.org

-- Making BMWBMW a club of the members, by the members, for the members!!!
GSFun
Board Guru

Postby dcgsrider » Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:35 am

SB 836 did pass the committee on Wednesday, but the the committee did not accept the substitute language that would have removed the prohibition, except where standing would threaten life, limb or property of any person. Instead the bill reads standing is permitted for "safety" and for "no longer than necessary." That seems to me to still give law enforcement a lot of discretion and that "safety" is in the eye of beholder, not the rider. Actual bill text is here. http://lis.virginia.gov/cgi-bin/legp604 ... +SB836+pdf

At least the provision that one must remain seated at all times would be removed.
Paul Wilson
Arlington, Va.
2009 R1200GS "Franz" Namibia Orange
IBA# 12143
KI4PW
dcgsrider
Board Guru

Postby STATMATT » Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:49 pm

Fortunately I've never been pulled over for this. When preparing for lots of off-roading, I've been known to ride from DC to IAD on my pegs using 95 and the Airport Access roads. Good to know.
STATMATT
Frequent Poster

Return to Government Affairs