VCOM Legislative Roundtable

Discussions regarding Government Affairs issues. Moderated by the GA officer

VCOM Legislative Roundtable

Postby dcgsrider » Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:47 pm

VCOM is gearing up for the 2015 session, and held its legislative roundtable on Aug 31.

Some of the items discussed:

Amending VA law to make it easier to install auxiliary lighting and brake light modulators. Under current law a modulated brake light may pulse for 5 seconds, when must turn steady.

Seeking a police and prosecutorial remedy to right-of-way violations that kill or injure motorcyclists (and other road users). Many times these are written up as "failure to yield" (a minor infraction.) VCOM argues that under existing law, police have the discretion to charge the higher offense of "reckless driving." Attempts to mandate this treatment of these cases have failed in the General Assembly in past years.

Legalize lane-splitting in stopped traffic. Apparently a study is underway on this issue and will be published in a few months.

Helmet law repeal for riders over 21.

Full report here: http://us6.campaign-archive1.com/?u=225 ... 78b3093847
Paul Wilson
Arlington, Va.
2009 R1200GS "Franz" Namibia Orange
IBA# 12143
KI4PW
dcgsrider
Board Guru

Re: VCOM Legislative Roundtable

Postby Chiba » Wed Sep 10, 2014 3:12 pm

dcgsrider wrote:Many times these are written up as "failure to yield" (a minor infraction.)

Indeed. This is what the woman who ran into me got - 1 point & a $75 fine. I got three surgeries and spent a year learning how to walk again. Totally fair.
BMW MOA Digital News Editor www.bmwmoa.org
- 05 R1200GS - 98 K1200RS + Hannigan Classic sidecar -
Chiba
The FUNNY One

Postby STATMATT » Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:33 pm

I think the important thing is to know when to target our legislators or which legislators with calls and cards in the mail. these are important issues especially the overheated thing. I waited on the side of 66 for a half hour when my heat indicator when above the triangle. When the temp went down enough for me to get back on, I could still see where I got out of traffic.

STATMATT
STATMATT
Frequent Poster

Postby eap » Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:23 pm

eap
Chesapeake Bay Watershed http://www.chesapeakebay.net
"Over the Mountains Of the Moon, Down the Valley of the Shadow, Ride, boldly ride, E.A.Poe
14 R1200GS LC
01 R1150GS (100K smiles)
81 R80G/S (~50k smiles)
IBA # 60680
eap
Board Wizard

Return to Government Affairs