Help stop restricting motorized recreation in national monum

Discussions regarding Government Affairs issues. Moderated by the GA officer

Help stop restricting motorized recreation in national monum

Postby henwin » Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:46 pm

From the AMA's Action Alerts:

"When the president delivered the State of the Union speech on Tuesday, January 28, he stated that he plans to use executive orders to bypass congressional gridlock. One such measure that is often employed is the American Antiquities Act of 1906. This act gives the president the authority to declare “objects of historic or scientific interest” as national monuments. While national monuments do not necessarily ban motorized recreation, it is not uncommon for that to occur and restricting motorized recreation in national monuments is becoming more commonplace."

To read the entire article and sign the petition, go to:
http://cqrcengage.com/amacycle/app/take-action?engagementId=38928&ep=AAAAC2Flc0NpcGhlcjAxDkLGVnrr_01K2beqn5qvvEAEBP1LCDk5bPQkBM2aLgtFLxXZlye4Sf-3_2lY5uTnf8nXUB6tK1C0Nq2RmDlqIA&lp=0
KTRSD,

Henry S. Winokur, Treasurer
Retired MSF & Total Control Instructor
The problem is not high-performance motorcycles. It's low-performance riders...
Remember when sex was safe and motorcycles were dangerous?
henwin
Board Wizard

Re: Help stop restricting motorized recreation in national m

Postby RocketMan » Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:39 pm

Please take no offense this is simply an observation

I have to comment on the presentation of this information. Recently you posted information about black boxes in consumer vehicles entitled "Important information about black boxes" which included links to several articles and presented a balanced set of views. A simple presentation of information without any seeming bias.
In this one however the very title seems to be espousing a particular course of action (and a link to an article that is sic[rather] biased) rather than simply presenting relevant information about a potential area of concern for our community. As sitting chair member I think that it is important that you consider the manor in which the provided information is presented/titled. I don't think its proper for the club to appear that they and/or their representatives, are encouraging a particular course of action any more than we as a club, push support for any particular charity. People are free to post about any they happen to feel is important and look for help but it is not done so under the auspices of the club.

Maybe its just me and no one else read it as such in which case I'll just slide back into the shadows....

RM
Fromerly MR. MonkeyButt now Mr. Breezy-Butt!
http://roadrunes.com

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts" - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

"I think you're a NUT!"- Tina
RocketMan
Board Wizard

Postby henwin » Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:11 pm

RocketMan wrote:Please take no offense this is simply an observation
I have to comment on the presentation of this information. Recently you posted information about black boxes in consumer vehicles entitled "Important information about black boxes" which included links to several articles and presented a balanced set of views. A simple presentation of information without any seeming bias.
In this one however the very title seems to be espousing a particular course of action (and a link to an article that is sic[rather] biased) rather than simply presenting relevant information about a potential area of concern for our community. As sitting chair member I think that it is important that you consider the manor in which the provided information is presented/titled. I don't think its proper for the club to appear that they and/or their representatives, are encouraging a particular course of action any more than we as a club, push support for any particular charity. People are free to post about any they happen to feel is important and look for help but it is not done so under the auspices of the club.
Maybe its just me and no one else read it as such in which case I'll just slide back into the shadows....
RM

The article you referred to came from the AMA's Action Update, which comes out every couple of weeks. In any event, I posted it for several reasons:

1. because there may be people here who might be concerned by such legislation, and
2. because I'd like to see more activity on this portion of the Forum, and perhaps that activity could include people who are not regularly online.

While I don't disagree that the Board needs to concerned with what gets posted, I think it's a bit unfair to consider that what a member of the Board posts during "free time" might be taken as something the Board cares about or takes a position on. I think the way to do this is that if the Board wants to take a position on something it needs to be done over the president's signature and clearly stated that it is the BoD taking that position. If there is no clear statement that something comes from the BoD, then the posting needs to be considered in the light that it was posted by an individual and carries no political weight and is simply something important that the individual felt needed to be brought to the attention of those who read these forums.

Lastly, I see no reason for you to "slide back into the shadows...", since you, like everyone else here, has the right to question why something was posted.
KTRSD,

Henry S. Winokur, Treasurer
Retired MSF & Total Control Instructor
The problem is not high-performance motorcycles. It's low-performance riders...
Remember when sex was safe and motorcycles were dangerous?
henwin
Board Wizard

Postby STATMATT » Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:27 pm

I particularly like these posts, and I could name maybe two board members if I really tried. [I don't know who is a board member and who isn't!] We live in a politics prone area. I think all readers are capable of reading and deciding what is propaganda and what isn't. If things are slanted, then follow up with how you disagree with them. I agree that this area (Govt Affairs) should be used and I check it every once and awhile to see what is showing up.

This topic is important to motorcyclists and I've seen it first-hand in trips to Colorado where many of the roads on the map once open to all have now been banned to motorized traffic. For us off-roaders this is of particular importance.

Thanks.

STATMATT
STATMATT
Frequent Poster

Return to Government Affairs