CA lane-splitting rules unveiled

Discussions regarding Government Affairs issues. Moderated by the GA officer

CA lane-splitting rules unveiled

Postby Unity » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:17 am

Our RT-riding CA son says, "Their lane-splitting definition matches my personal approach all along. I can only hope other states follow suit."

http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/Motorcycle-lane-splitting-rules-unveiled-4270272.php

--John
2002 R1150RT, Silver
Silver, the "cool and aloof" color.
(Road & Track Vol. 56, No.2, p. 19)

1971 Triumph Bonneville, Gold
Gold, the "paying the restorer" color.
(Trust me.)
Unity
Shaman

Re: CA lane-splitting rules unveiled

Postby BKling » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:09 am

Now, if other states would wake up, smell the roses, and adopt the same philosophy. It would save time, gas and maybe even ease congestion a little.
Bryant

In Case of Emergency - OPEN HEAD - USE BRAIN
BKling
Board Wizard

Postby STATMATT » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:44 pm

You could always send a letter to encourage VCOM to take this matter up or contact your congressman individually. I don't think enough people contact their representatives regarding changes to irritating laws. The only way this will work is to call or write. The NRA has a great website on how to figure out who your representative is.

STATMATT
STATMATT
Frequent Poster

Postby sati8d » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:54 pm

Just sent http://www.chp.ca.gov/programs/lanesplitguide.html to my representatives in MD
Smooth throttle and spirited twisties!

Tony
'09 R1200 GS Adv
...and the piggy's still saying: "whhhhiiiiiiii"
sati8d
Babies GS

Postby dcgsrider » Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:21 pm

As I understand it, the difference in California is that it's not expressly illegal for a motorcycle to share a lane with an automobile, and law enforcement has decided to develop guidelines for a practice that lies within a statutory gray area. Most states have outright prohibitions, including Virginia, and it makes changing the law all the more difficult. This came up last year when the Virginia legislature legalized two motorcycles sharing a lane. Some legislators were concerned that legalizing "riding abreast" would be tantamount to legalizing "lane sharing." The changes were very narrowly crafted as a result, including a further clarification added at the insistence of the Virginia Senate, which added an amendment stipulating that only two-wheelers could ride abreast of another two-wheeler.

§ 46.2-857. Driving two abreast in a single lane.

A person shall be guilty of reckless driving who drives any motor vehicle so as to be abreast of another vehicle in a lane designed for one vehicle, or drives any motor vehicle so as to travel abreast of any other vehicle traveling in a lane designed for one vehicle. Nothing in this section shall be construed to prohibit two two-wheeled motorcycles from traveling abreast while traveling in a lane designated for one vehicle...

There is a movement afoot to change the law in Oregon. They have a Facebook page. I'm not sure how serious the effort is or what their chances are. States tend to follow the lead of other states, and once we have the benefits of experience in a handful of states (i.e., motorcycle lane sharing doesn't produce mass casualties) we might see a repeal effort. It could take years. As a regular Virginia-to-DC commuter the benefits are self-evident to me, but we have to convince the non-riding public that it's prudent, effective and relatively safe.
Paul Wilson
Arlington, Va.
2009 R1200GS "Franz" Namibia Orange
IBA# 12143
KI4PW
dcgsrider
Board Guru

Postby jmb122mp » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:19 am

Lane-splitting is coming soon to Maryland... once they figured out how to tax it.

If you can dream it... Maryland will tax it!

Cheers,
Jim

'04 R1150R Rockster (Black/Orange)

"Don't Dude me". Dexter Morgan
jmb122mp

Postby eap » Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:04 pm

sati8d wrote:Just sent http://www.chp.ca.gov/programs/lanesplitguide.html to my representatives in MD

Did you include a specific 'ask' or recommendation? If so please share your talking points for us lazies....
eap
Chesapeake Bay Watershed http://www.chesapeakebay.net
"Over the Mountains Of the Moon, Down the Valley of the Shadow, Ride, boldly ride, E.A.Poe
14 R1200GS LC
01 R1150GS (100K smiles)
81 R80G/S (~50k smiles)
IBA # 60680
eap
Board Wizard

Postby PhilAger » Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:05 pm

eap wrote:
sati8d wrote:Just sent http://www.chp.ca.gov/programs/lanesplitguide.html to my representatives in MD

Did you include a specific 'ask' or recommendation? If so please share your talking points for us lazies....

This Forum and Tony's brief remark urged me to find somebody in the MD government to contact. I've edited the text that I sent to Ms Saab - since she is no longer in their employ! #-o
I figured that this is not really a political kind of thing at this point, so I looked for Transportation bureaucrats (like the CHP). :?: Maybe the Governor would listen? Don't know... :roll:
I also cc'd my text to a Point-Of-Contact at the MD Vehicle Administration, 'mpurcell@mva.maryland.gov' and to a "drop box" w/Maryland State Police: 'MSP.FOB@maryland.gov'
I Embedded all of the included Hyperlinks below in my email which I've shown in entirety for your reuse! :wink:

Here's the MD DoT link I worked from: http://www.mdot.maryland.gov/ContactUs/TSO_ExecutiveStaffList.html

TO: Darrell B. Mobley [I've since observed he’s running the show... dmobley@mdot.state.md.us]
Acting Customer Service Manager
The Secretary's Office
Maryland Department of Transportation
Hanover, MD 21076
410-865-1228

Maryland Citizen & Avid Motorcyclist
My Address & Phone…

SUBJECT: Awareness of Lane Splitting Guidelines from the California Highway Patrol

Dear Mr. Mobley:
I’m writing concerning new guidelines recently published by California’s Highway Patrol (CHP) regarding their implementation of legal Lane Splitting (aka Lane Sharing).
[http://www.chp.ca.gov/programs/lanesplitguide.html ] I’m using email so that the embedded hotlinks are easily accessible to you and your DoT staff. This came to my
attention in a post on BMWBMW’s [http://www.bmwbmw.org/ ] online forum: CA lane-splitting rules unveiled [http://www.bmwbmw.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=20029 ]
that links to a San Francisco Chronicle article [http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/Motorcycle-lane-splitting-rules-unveiled-4270272.php#photo-4178541 ] announcing new
motorcycle Lane Splitting rules. You’ll observe in the Chronicle’s article that motorcyclists find it safer when they’re able to Lane Split versus being hemmed in by often
inattentive 4-wheeled drivers (i.e. rear end collisions). A “Lane Sharing Revisited” article on page 30 of the October 2012 Motorcycle Consumer News stated “The NHTSA
data shows that 5% of all fatal vehicle crashes involve a rear-end collision, or about 223 fatal motorcycle crashes. If this number were reduced to 1-2.8% to correspond with
the European numbers, this would eliminate between 98-178 fatal motorcycle crashes in the United States.” [MCN article not available online]

I had to write and share this innovative driving concept with you and the other Maryland state officials I’ve identified. I hope that this road expanding concept is not new
to you. The Lane Splitting philosophy is used around the world to great effect as far as moving more people safely on crowded highways in a shorter time span while saving
petrol and reducing pollution. It would then encourage more drivers to utilize motorcycles and scooters for their commuting needs. I’ve used the ability to lane-split myself
when traveling across Europe. And as an owner of a “Historic” air-cooled BMW, I can’t sit in traffic for very long on a hot summer’s day without the possibility of a motorcycle
meltdown (same applies to most Harley-Davidson cycles). If officials in California deem this strategy as a safe and effective aid to move more people on their crowded highways,
then I believe that it should be considered and implemented on other states’ over-crowded highways (such as those found in Maryland). It puts more vehicles into the same
overall space without the government or taxpayer having to pay for additional lanes!

Additionally, I’m certain that you recently read in the Washington Post that Washington D.C. obtained a number 1 rating
[http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/trafficandcommuting/washington-rated-the-worst-for-traffic-congestion--again/2013/02/04/125be724-6ee3-11e2-8b8d-e0b59a1b8e2a_story.html ]
in wasting time and energy in the latest 2012 Texas A&M University transportation study.
[http://s3.documentcloud.org/documents/566377/2012-urban-mobility-report.pdf ] The Table on page 24 indicates that the Washington DC metro area wastes even more time,
money, and fuel on its congested highways than the Los Angeles and San Francisco areas in part because Lane Splitting is not allowed in the other 49 states. Everyone’s growing
level of frustration could be diminished to some extent if motorcyclists were able to legally Lane Split within Maryland. Eventually, as more frustrated drivers crawling on I-95, I-270,
I-495 and I-695 watch motorcyclists safely pass their cars and trucks in a non-threatening manner, perhaps more commuters will consider switching to two wheels. It should happen
here on the east coast as it happened long ago in California. All that’s needed is some drivers education, an amended traffic law, and time for familiarization.

This innovative improvement to our nation’s growing transportation deficiencies won’t happen unless motorcyclists like myself work to make it more widely known. I am thus
writing to you in order to make you aware of California’s enlightened way of thinking toward 2-wheeled commuting. Please let me know how I can further kick this topic down the
crowded road or if any legwork from the many interested motorcycle clubs within Maryland would be of help.

Very sincerely,
P & K A.

Hope that this verbiage can be of use in raising Lane-Splitting Awareness with your chosen state representatives! =D> :D =D>
I intend to track this thing further if I don't get any feedback! :x
Ciao!
Phil Ager
PhilAger

Postby sati8d » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:45 pm

jmb122mp wrote:Lane-splitting is coming soon to Maryland... once they figured out how to tax it.

Cheers,

LMAO :lol: :lol: :Blaster: :oops:

Tony
'09 R1200 GS Adv
sati8d
Babies GS

Postby PhilAger » Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:33 pm

jmb122mp wrote:Lane-splitting is coming soon to Maryland... once they figured out how to tax it.

Cheers,

Just to update all you prospective Lane Splitters, I got a respectable letter from Maryland’s Acting Secretary of Transportation, Mr Darrell Mobley on 7Mar13 regarding “lane splitting.” You know that anonymous proverb that said “The longest journey begins with the first step.” Well, we’ve just taken that first step. =D>

Mr. Mobley’s letter remarks about safety being a “top priority” of MDOT, as you’d expect (and I addressed the topic in my 14Feb email to them {see verbiage above}). Certainly we’re all concerned for our individual safety, and Lane Splitting puts that ball back into our hands. “The Motor Vehicle Administration (MVA) through the Maryland Highway Safety Office (MHSO) has just formed a ‘Maryland Motorcycle Safety Coalition’ with representatives from both the private and public sectors, law enforcement and motorcycle advocacy groups. ... A lane splitting strategy could be one of the measures recommended for consideration. MDOT will share this concept with the Coalition and will continue to monitor its application in California and its impact on mobility and safety of both motorcyclists and motorists.” MDOT’s response is better than a sharp stick in the eye! 8)

After thanking me for my input, Mr Mobley said I/we shouldn’t hesitate to contact Mr Cedric Ward, P.E., Director of Traffic and Safety, State Highway Administration, at 410-787-5815 (or 888-963-0307 or cward@sha.state.md.us ). Think that we/BMWBMW need to maintain our focus on this MD M/C Safety Coalition, and see if we can cooperatively guide it toward California’s enlightened approach to Lane Sharing in our Area of Operations! Hey – it could happen before Hell freezes over! [-o<

Sláinte! (Gaelic)
Phil & Karen
2010 F800GS,
2009 F650GS,
2009 Kawasaki KLX250S,
2008 Honda CRF230L, and
1975 R90S.
PhilAger

Postby sati8d » Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:38 pm

My local delegates in the MD house are looking into it as well....
Nice job Phil - I think that lead and the Coalition is our next point of entry.

Tony
'09 R1200 GS Adv
sati8d
Babies GS

Postby PhilAger » Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:57 pm

FWIW, we've got an appointment to meet with Mr. Ward at the SHA on Thursday, May 02, 2013 10:00 AM-11:30 AM. :P

We'll give you an update on MD's Motorcycle Safety Coalition après said meeting! :wink:

Do we have an active Government Chair involved with local government initiatives? If so, my emails are returned as Undeliverable... #-o

Sláinte! (Gaelic)
Phil & Karen
2010 F800GS,
2009 F650GS,
2009 Kawasaki KLX250S,
2008 Honda CRF230L, and
1975 R90S.
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
“…And pray that there’s intelligent life somewhere up in space,
‘Cause there’s bugger all down here on Earth.” – Eric Idle’s The Galaxy Song
Check it out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23Dm7sQ1C1E&feature=related
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
PhilAger

Postby PhilAger » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:49 pm

I jumped into this MD Motorcycle Safety Coalition business when John posted about California's new, Official, Lane Splitting Guidelines.

Don't know quite where our discussions are going to go come May 2nd, but it'll certainly lean heavily toward Motorcycle Safety!

So what topics rank way up there on your minds concerning Motorcycling, Highways, and Safety?

1. Lane Splitting: it would be wonderful if Maryland was the second state to allow it "legally!"
2. Tolls: why do motorcycles have to pay full fare to cross the Nice Bridge when our contact patch is ~6 sq in?
3. Distracted Drivers: too many cagers are not watching where they're going, and put us at significant risk.
4. Pot Holes: The poor state of our road surfaces can more easily impact bikers than cagers!

You Guys are certainly well-opinionated... What are your Safety concerns? :mully:

Sláinte! (Gaelic)
Phil & Karen
2010 F800GS,
2009 F650GS,
2009 Kawasaki KLX250S,
2008 Honda CRF230L, and
1975 R90S.
“…And pray that there’s intelligent life somewhere up in space,
‘Cause there’s bugger all down here on Earth.” – Eric Idle’s The Galaxy Song
Check it out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23Dm7sQ1C1E&feature=related
PhilAger

Postby Georgeinva » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:15 am

[quote="PhilAger"]

1. Lane Splitting: it would be wonderful if Maryland was the second state to allow it "legally!"
2. Tolls: why do motorcycles have to pay full fare to cross the Nice Bridge when our contact patch is ~6 sq in?
3. Distracted Drivers: too many cagers are not watching where they're going, and put us at significant risk.
4. Pot Holes: The poor state of our road surfaces can more easily impact bikers than cagers!

You Guys are certainly well-opinionated... What are your Safety concerns? :mully:

1) No if you can do it with a car why should you be allowed to do it with a motorcycle?
2) Because charging by contact patch or gross vehicle weight would be insanely complicated. Should sidecars pay the 3 axle price?
3) The same people who want to lane split know car drivers are distracted, suicide by cage.
4) Yes spend money fixing potholes don't waste it passing legislation that discriminates by vehicle.
Gridlock Motors
7155 Opal rd
Warrenton VA. 20186
(571) 318 2472
http://www.beemersuberalles.com
http://www.gridlockmotors.com/

"It needs to be about 20% cooler "
Georgeinva
Board Guru

Postby sati8d » Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:33 pm

1. Lane Splitting - prevent undo wear and tear on a air-cooled motorcycle due to over-heating in stop and go traffic. :emb:
One must understand when Splitting is allowed - in stop-n-go traffic only. You're not allowed to do it when everybody's doing 75 down the highway...
The cagers are moving at 10-20mph in SnG traffic, sitting in heated or air conditioned cars. Their cars are running at the most inefficient mode - stop n go. Motorcyclists should not be subjected to sit there in the pollution of cars. The CA law states 10mph over traffic speed, which means if you're in traffic you're barely rolling along. Besides, if you've ever done it (I used to ride in CA), you're on super high alert when you're splitting, anticipating and expecting someone to jart over to the other lane (like they're going to get somewhere 3/4ths of a second faster...)....
Our bikes overheat and I'd bet the new water-cooled GS would too, when you're in SnG traffic in August in 102 degree heat.
2. As far as motor vehicle safety - all motorized 2-wheeled vehicles must wear a helmet. See European Safety Standards.
3. Tolls - in MD, we register our EZPass for Motorcycles - but are not discounted for it, except to ride in HOV lanes(which is already great).
4. Distracted Drivers: Riding a motorcycle is inherently risky. It is incumbent upon the rider to be vigilant for his/her own safety to include not being seen; to be aware and ready for drivers on cell-phones, drinking coffee, putting on make-up, and now sexting....[-X You'll go blind.
5. Pot holes: luckily the law to approve whacky weed has not yet met muster - then you'll have POT holes.....talk about distracted drivers dude...like who's got the munchies and can we drive faster than 30 in a 55!! :twitching: :roll:

Tony
'09 R1200 GS Adv
sati8d
Babies GS

Next

Return to Government Affairs