CA lane-splitting rules unveiled

Discussions regarding Government Affairs issues. Moderated by the GA officer

Re: CA lane-splitting rules unveiled

Postby grownup » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:05 pm

Unity wrote:
T.Wesley wrote:IMO if you're on the road, you should be treated the same as any other vehicle on the road

But there are already recognized differences. Trucks have speed, lane, and use restrictions that the rest of us don't have. Why? because they're great big. Maybe those of us who are little-bitty should get appropriate recognition too.

--John

I am for lane splitting and a universal helmet law in the US, but I don't either will happen. As for splitting, I think lane splitting for most BMW riders is not practical. For example, take your typically BMW rider. I have yet to meet a little-bitty BMW. A GS rider uses metal cans that widen the rear about 6-12 inches on each side. Your typical RT riders put extended saddle bags and a top case on their bike. So realistically most BMW profiles are just too wide to safely squeeze around vehicles. Also lane splitting, requires riders to ride a bit more aggressively and take more risks. Many BMW riders wouldn't like splitting. Lane splitting only makes sense for commuters on narrow bikes that are in dense traffic. This is a very limited demographic. So, I think the law is highly unlikely to change. For me, legally splitting would only save me between 2-5 minutes on my commute. Furthermore, regardless of the law people in cars are still going to feel animosity. For example, riders that lane split in California are not immune to road rage from drivers. Rather than lane splitting laws, I would like to see laws that require slower traffic to stay right. Additionally, automating tolls 100% would reduce congestion. Finally, smart traffic signals would be better than the dumb timed lights we have at intersections that create the greatest congestion. And on a side note if SHA would remove the silly guard rails GS riders could just ride the grassy knolls when there is congestion.
Last edited by grownup on Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ted
2002 R1150-RTP
2013 R1200 GSA
2016 S1000 XR ( 1 BTC Bike )
grownup

Postby PhilAger » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:13 pm

Notes from the MD Motorcycle Safety Coalition bi-monthly meeting.

Phil & Karen sat in on the discussions concerning Designing Highways with regard for Motorcycle Safety. After finding conference room #4 in Glen Burnie, we were welcomed to participate in the routine discussions of representatives from various Maryland Highway management agencies and affiliated civilian parties interested in furthering the safe passage of all highway users throughout Maryland. With emphasis on changes/additions to Maryland’s Strategic Highway Safety Plan (SHSP – “a living document”), attendees created a list of topics that can affect the safety of motorcyclists in the design phase and the operational phase of Maryland’s multimodal roadways. Items such as: pavement milling, railroad crossings, sewer grates, steel plates, highway surface maintenance, tar snakes, and water management were discussed in relation to long-term thinking and MD highway design/construction philosophy.

We reconnected with Mr. Jean Y. Point-du-jour and Mr. Andrew Krajewski as well as other motorcyclists interested in the safe-passage of motorcycles on Maryland’s highways. They discussed avenues of communication to exchange messages regarding Maryland’s highways and Motorcycle Safety. They want to broadcast ways to contact the government with issues and safety concerns on motorcyclists’ minds. They intend to compile and distribute paper/laminated Points of Contact (POCs) in the future at places where motorcyclists gather. It may be a business card type format, or it was mentioned something of the dimension of US currency to fit in one’s wallet for additional space. August’s theme will focus further on ‘communications’ (both to & from motorcyclists) and perhaps Protective Equipment (PE) if there is enough time.

We were welcomed to attend future meetings. Mr Peter Moe, MVA’s Driver Instructional Services Manager led the discussions and mentioned to us his awareness of BMWBMW through both Tina & Chaz! Bob Henig was absent from today’s conclave, but we’re certain it was for a good reason – Egh Bob? Andrew said he shared my email to him with attached pdf from the April BTS concerning the BoD’s initiative to further “The Look Twice – Save a Life” advertising campaign.

Depending on our summer riding schedule, we may be able to attend the August bureaucrats’ Motorcycle Safety conclave. I’m still keen to keep Lane Sharing on the radar screen with regard to motorcycle rights and motorcycle safety! We just received our new, mini Lane Splitting is Legal bumper stickers: https://www.facebook.com/Lanesplittingislegal

Sláinte! (Gaelic)
Phil & Karen
2010 F800GS,
2009 F650GS,
2009 Kawasaki KLX250S,
2008 Honda CRF230L, and
1975 R90S.
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
“…And pray that there’s intelligent life somewhere up in space,
‘Cause there’s bugger all down here on Earth.” – Eric Idle’s The Galaxy Song
View at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23Dm7sQ1C1E&feature=related
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
PhilAger

Postby PhilAger » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:37 pm

Got my mug shot recently added to the Lanesplittingislegal Facebook page. 8)
https://www.facebook.com/Lanesplittingislegal

As Laozi once said some 2,500 years ago, "A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step."

It could happen here in the east - someday. We'll stay involved with the SHA, but first we're off to Oregon...
:wink:

Sláinte! (Gaelic)
Phil & Karen
2010 F800GS,
2009 F650GS,
2009 Kawasaki KLX250S,
2008 Honda CRF230L, and
1975 R90S.
“…And pray that there’s intelligent life somewhere up in space,
‘Cause there’s bugger all down here on Earth.” – Eric Idle’s The Galaxy Song
View at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23Dm7sQ1C1E&feature=related
PhilAger

Postby Flash! » Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:19 am

Thanks for keeping us up-to-date on the Lane Splitting, and have a wonderful trip West.

Jody
You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to
skydive twice.

2012 F650GS, Yellow and Black
Flash!
Board Guru

Postby sati8d » Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:23 pm

Got my stickers on my panniers!
Smooth throttle and spirited twisties!

Tony
'09 R1200 GS Adv
...and the piggy's still saying: "whhhhiiiiiiii"
sati8d
Babies GS

Postby Unity » Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:44 pm

Rider Magazine wrote:Complaint Forces CHP to Remove Lane-Splitting Guidelines from Website

Rider Magazine Staff
July 18, 2014

The California Highway Patrol and other state government agencies have been forced to remove information from their websites that was intended to help motorcyclists safely execute the allowed lane-splitting maneuver due to a single complaint from a Sacramento man.

Kenneth Mandler, a longtime state employee who now conducts training sessions on how to get a state job, petitioned the California Office of Administrative Law in 2013, claiming the CHP created an “underground regulation” by formulating and distributing guidelines for safe lane splitting.

Lane splitting, also called lane filtering, is the practice of riding a motorcycle or scooter between lanes of stopped or slowly moving traffic. The practice has been permitted in California for decades and no statute prohibits it. No other state allows the maneuver.

The CHP posted its guidelines with the intention of helping motorcyclists and motorists understand safe practices and to discourage unsafe lane splitting.

“Some have interpreted the recently published Motorcycle Lane Splitting Guidelines as rules, laws or regulations that could or would be enforced by the department,” according to a CHP statement. “The guidelines were never intended for this purpose and were prepared simply as common sense traffic safety tips and to raise public awareness.”

The Office of Administrative Law sided with Mandler, noting that CHP Commissioner J. A. Farrow certified that his department would not “issue, use, enforce, or attempt to enforce the public education information.” The OAL determined that posting the guidelines on the website was “issuing” them.

“By forcing the California Highway Patrol to remove its guidelines, Mr. Mandler and the Office of Administrative Law are denying the public vital safety information,” said Nick Haris, AMA western states representative and a member of the California Motorcyclist Safety Program Advisory Committee, which helped write the guidelines.

“Lane splitting is still allowed, and motorcyclists are still using this long-recognized riding technique to relieve traffic congestion and improve safety,” Haris said. “But now, neither riders nor motorists have a place to turn for authoritative guidelines on the practice.”

The AMA supports the continued use of safe lane splitting in California and the implementation of lane-splitting laws in other states, coupled with extensive rider and driver education programs.

The AMA position statement reads, in part: “Reducing a motorcyclist’s exposure to vehicles that are frequently accelerating and decelerating on congested roadways can be one way to reduce front- and rear-end collisions for those most vulnerable in traffic.”

Denny Kobza, of the Bay Area Riders’ Forum and a member of the California Motorcyclist Safety Program Advisory Committee, said he was extremely disappointed that the CHP was forced to take down the guidelines.

“It is very disturbing that one person can affect three years of hard work,” Kobza said. “We put a lot of hard work into those guidelines, because lane splitting is a safer way to go than waiting for a motorist to make a mistake.”

Kobza said he has full faith in the California Highway Patrol’s continued advocacy for motorcycle safety, and he hopes the guidelines can be reposted to state government websites soon.

The deleted CHP guidelines can still be downloaded from the AMA here, and can be found on the Rider website here.

--John
(Quoted from http://www.ridermagazine.com/latest-new ... bsite.htm/)
2002 R1150RT, Silver
Silver, the "cool and aloof" color.
(Road & Track Vol. 56, No.2, p. 19)

1971 Triumph Bonneville, Gold
Gold, the "paying the restorer" color.
(Trust me.)
Unity
Shaman

Postby middleview » Sat Aug 09, 2014 4:22 pm

[The CHP posted its guidelines with the intention of helping motorcyclists and motorists understand safe practices and to discourage unsafe lane splitting.

“Some have interpreted the recently published Motorcycle Lane Splitting Guidelines as rules, laws or regulations that could or would be enforced by the department,” according to a CHP statement. “The guidelines were never intended for this purpose and were prepared simply as common sense traffic safety tips and to raise public awareness.”]

Hi all,

Well, this is my first post to the forum. I joined the club in January, but regret that work and other duties have kept me from being able to join in much of the club activity. But, I do commute into DC almost every work day, and would like to share experience I've previously gained with Lane-splitting and what might be a reasonable long-term approach to acceptance here. First, some context:

I moved back to Alexandria last winter after 4 years living/riding in Europe. I "learned" to ride in Alaska in 1985 on a used Goldwing and sold it the same summer. I didn't get back on a bike until 25 years later! In spring 2010 I renewed my M1 rating with a MSF class in Alaska, returned to Belgium where I bought a 2010 GSA kitted out - and that's honestly where I learned to ride =D> . I lived and worked in Brussels and the ride to work was exactly 3 miles and it takes 45 minutes in a car. In Europe a high percentage of traffic is scooters and then a lot of motorcycles. Still overall we represent maybe 10% of total vehicle movement on our best day. Lanes in urban areas are narrower than in America. My cage is a an old Audi A6, and it's terrifying at first to learn to drive it on narrow streets with parked cars on both sides! The most popular option on a European car is automatic folding mirrors...

So, in 2010 I'm barely able to ride as a newbie and I cue up for the stop and go traffic on the big Beemer. And being scared to death of dropping the big bike after a sudden stop in slow traffic I was super careful, centered in my lane... Along comes a scooter - zzzziiiippppp! Emergency flashers on, weaving literally between the mirrors, and followed in quick succession by 3 more scooters. Hmmm. There goes a Ducati, then an RT, finally a guy on a GS. Frankly, everyone in a car is looking at me like the village idiot. So, within a very short time I found myself tentatively joining the center line riders.

Even with stop and go traffic, the risk of a quick lane change by a cager is always there. But, suffice to say, after 25k miles and 4 full 4-season riding years I did my share of splitting and filtering. A lot, in fact, probably about 2000 miles total! I saved a lot of time and became really appreciative of the integration of the technique into European society. I'll also note lane splitting is not a "fair weather" technique - it's good any time. Makes a big difference in 4-season riding, though the risks go up because there are so few riders out and you become the exception rather than the rule.

I had to lay into my brakes fully maybe 5 times - for very late, unexpected stops or lane changes, but always knew it only takes one time going bad and always covered. In tight situations I tapped 2 mirrors with my handlebars and really whacked a third. In that case, I broke the plastic backing off a Spanish car's mirror one night inbound to Madrid - I was tired and Sunday traffic returning into the city was bumper to bumper for 50 miles. I was probably exceeding the CHP recommended 10mph differential, closer to 20mph difference. I stopped and we reinstalled his plastic without incident. He was incredibly nice about it, though I didn't speak Spanish and I startled everyone in the car. The incident stopped my splitting for that night - you really do need to be hyper alert. And, you need to be fully willing to accept responsibility for any damage you may cause. I rolled by probably 4-5 accidents that I believe likely involved splitting in 4 years. I witnessed one on the peripheral road in Paris, and honestly the rider deserved it (wasn't hurt, but his scooter was crunched).

I've described the most serious incidents, but there are others, usually related to the discomfort cagers feel when a bike comes up between the cars and they didn't expect it. Euro riders run their flashers, flash their high beams, honk periodically or rev their motors so people will know they're coming before they arrive. Still, occasionally you roll by someone and surprise the hell out of them.

European law, written in every language but English, is usually silent on lane splitting, just like California's was before and is now again. So, why does this work so well in Europe? Good question, but here's my theory:

1. Motorcycles and scooters are accepted much more readily as "respectable" transportation that a lot of people, regardless of income level, will use (including big Goldwing based motorcycle taxis in Paris). But, it's also seen as affordable to a large part of the lowest income class.
2. Europeans respect fuel efficiency and don't see any point in a motorcycle idling in traffic. Remember, they pay almost $10 a gallon for fuel.
3. Europeans are used to operating their vehicles in tight spaces. So, even with narrow lanes and larger and larger cars, they are tolerant of lane splitting bringing a bike literally inches from their quarter panels and doors.
4. Europeans generally observe lane position discipline better than Americans. For example, on my way to work on a 2-lane road through a 1-mile tunnel the cagers "spread out" and create the space in the middle whenever they can. It's just natural to them (and protects their mirrors). On the autoroute, no one passes to the right, and the left lane is not a place to cruise, it's a place to pass. This makes their lane changes more predictable.
5. Europeans are more comfortable with "gray areas" in their interpretation of motor vehicle law. Remember, as a continent, they write laws in over 20 languages and the various countries have approached the law from very different social norms. So, in the new European Union everyone has to be a little more tolerant of the other guy (it's true in their society at large, as well, in my experience).
6. European governments spend a lot of money on driver awareness of motorcycles and scooters... and a lot on speed cameras and stop light cameras - but they don't "patrol the highways" looking for infractions. If they're on the road and they see something stupid they'll do something about it, but that's not what they're up to as their primary mission.

So, my belief is those cultural expectations must be put in place for widespread splitting to be reasonably successful and safe. That takes years - aka California's long experience. I don't know how you'd make inroads in this part of the country in a meaningful way, absent a massive shift in awareness and tolerance. Working on that a little at a time is probably key.

(a) I think the best case scenario is encouraging adoption of the "silence" option California has taken on the topic (though I'm appreciative that they inadvertently published their own view of best practices, since it kind of tells me what they'll usually tolerate). Finding some compelling examples of training or daily driving videos and stories from overseas and showing how they could be applied in America might be useful to help garner support, too.

(b) And, for starters, targeting tolerance of limited, low-speed use of the breakdown lane for "filtering alongside traffic jams" might serve the best possible starting point to allow Americans to start getting accustomed to the flexibility and utility of a motorcycle in busy suburban highway systems, and to see them in tight spaces that today are not normal. I don't think that's obtained by lobbying the statehouse as much as by informal education campaigns with law enforcement associations and others who might be willing to partner in developing tolerance for the practice. Otherwise, I don't believe anyone will ever tell us it's a legal right in any of these cases.

So, I think the CHP did the good thing in permitting a "common practice" to be discussed. I do appreciate the impossible legal position it put them in, too. Now we just have to find a clever way to leverage their piece to start this big culture change, one driver at a time. Thanks for a spot to share my thoughts and experience.
middleview

Postby Unity » Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:53 pm

Thank you.

--John
2002 R1150RT, Silver
Silver, the "cool and aloof" color.
(Road & Track Vol. 56, No.2, p. 19)

1971 Triumph Bonneville, Gold
Gold, the "paying the restorer" color.
(Trust me.)
Unity
Shaman

Postby RocketMan » Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:34 am

The info on the CHIP pulling the information from their site just reinforces the fact that Lane Spitting" is not nor ever has been legal in CA. there is a big difference between lane Sharing with two bikes involved and lane splitting and filtering. Just because it was allowed did not mean it was legal, a technicality that many folks take advantage of in claiming it is/was legal in CA as if there was an actual regulation stating it was legal.
I'm pretty neutral on the whole issue myself, I did it when I was a currier because time was money and most of my riding was downtown/rush hour traffic, but since then its just not been worth it to me. I simply stay out of such situations, not something everybody has the luxury of doing, so I can understand why they might have to but it does make riding more "challenging" and pose a greater danger to the rider anyway you cut it.

RM
Fromerly MR. MonkeyButt now Mr. Breezy-Butt!
http://roadrunes.com

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts" - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

"I think you're a NUT!"- Tina
RocketMan
Board Wizard

Previous

Return to Government Affairs