CA lane-splitting rules unveiled

Discussions regarding Government Affairs issues. Moderated by the GA officer

Re: CA lane-splitting rules unveiled

Postby PhilAger » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:31 pm

Not much Feedback from the Peanut Gallery! George's response was not very supportive for our Lane Splitting point of view... #-o

As we sat in crawling traffic this morning on Route 210, I sure would've liked to be able to sensibly lane split... [-o<

Put on your thinking caps, boys & girls. Give us a few more ideas, por favor! We meet with the MD Highway Administration next Thursday.

Ciao!
Phil & Karen
PhilAger

Postby biometrics » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:22 am

Okay... I have basically tried to stay out of the debate, but since you feel that the peanut gallery has been too quiet, here is my feedback.

Without trying to be argumentative, I have to side with George... I don't think that we should allow special privileges for motorcycles [-X anymore than I think motorcycles should be allowed to use bicycle lanes... (even though they ARE bicycles, eh?). They are simply motor vehicles that require additional skills to operate... having those skills doesn't convey any special road privileges in my mind.

While I DO enjoy the privilege of using the HOV lanes without having a Pillion on board, I have absolutely no idea why it is allowed since we are not HOV-2.

Just my $0.02
1983 R100 /T with Velorex Sidecar
2000 K1200LT (Sold!)
1999 R1100RT-P (Sold!)
1983 Honda Nighthawk 650 (Sold!)
1973 Yamaha 125 Enduro (Ripped off!)
My Avatar? U.S. Army - Kagnew Station, Asmara, Eritrea, East Africa, 1972-1973
biometrics
Frequent Poster

Postby Unity » Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:12 pm

Fred Rau's column in the May issue of Motorcycle Consumer News takes an interesting look at the potential downsides of the new CA "guidelines" from insurance companies' and lawyers' viewpoints. Some of his conclusions follow:

Fred Rau in MCN wrote:From the insurance companies: If an accident happens while a motorcycle is lane-splitting, there's an almost 90% probability that the fault will be attributed to the motorcycle rider. If either the insurance adjuster or the court finds that the motorcyclist's carelessness was in any way contributory to the accident, the rider is completely out of luck when it comes to recovering any sort of damages. And remember, this was before the new guidelines came into being. Now, the insurance adjusters see things as weighted even more in their favor. For example, if the rider was lane-splitting anywhere other than between lanes 1 and 2 [the furthest left lanes]; if he were traveling at more than 10 mph faster than traffic; if traffic was moving at 30 mph or more; or he "violated" any of the other provisions in the guidelines, then the insurance company can claim recklessness.

From the lawyers: In a nutshell, the rider is probably screwed. His only hope is that he can prove most, if not all, of the following circumstances:
1. That he was riding safely and carefully -- not speeding or weaving in and out of traffic.
2. That he is an experienced rider (at least 10 years), with no moving violations.
3. That he has completed a motorcycle safety riding course in the past two years.
4. That the driver of the other vehicle did something even more dangerous than lane-splitting.

He finishes the piece saying that "Lane-splitting is dangerous. It should only be practiced under very limited and specific circumstances, and I think these guidelines go a long way toward defining what those circumstances should be."

--John
2002 R1150RT, Silver
Silver, the "cool and aloof" color.
(Road & Track Vol. 56, No.2, p. 19)

1971 Triumph Bonneville, Gold
Gold, the "paying the restorer" color.
(Trust me.)
Unity
Shaman

Postby Maria V » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:27 pm

Interesting viewpoint, John. Thanks for sharing.
I hope to get some quality time this weekend to catch up on my MCN reading. :D
Maria
Retired Presidente
Kermit's Ride Rule: "Don't hit the person in front of you and no whining."
2009 F650GS - "Moose" Veni, Vidi, Vroom!
Maria V
Attack Ninja

Postby RocketMan » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:52 pm

As someone who spent a good deal of time lane-splitting/filtering in DC traffic years ago while I worked as a messenger and also on my private machine, I think the whole idea and importance of lane-splitting has been way over hyped. When I did it on a daily basis (time was money as a courier) I found it to be one of the most teeth-grinding, exhausting aspects of riding in traffic. With all the dangers posed by traffic, purposely adding to that danger by cutting up between lanes of cars driven by already distracted, pissed off cagers just seems like a bad option. As for the arguments presented such as a means of reducing traffic congestion or preventing bike from overheating, these seem (to me) pretty much bogus arguments.
1. The reducing traffic congestion argument: If motorcyclist represented a sizeable section of the daily commuter traffic, then perhaps this might be valid, but lets face, at best they represent, what, 5%? of daily traffic (and I'm probably being generous here) so not much impact I can see here. Given the increased distraction of drivers these days and the rising road rage… bad idea to give cagers one more reason to dislike bikers.
2. The prevents bikes from overheating argument: Given that most modern bikes have water cooled, oil cooled or some other from of auxiliary cooling and given that most bike used for commuting are most likely one of these, this again seems rather bogus. Fact is if its hot enough for one of these to overheat, then chances are its hot enough for a car to suffer the same cooling failure, therefore any older car should be allowed to lane-split too, right?
3. And as was pointed out insurance may well go up in this area if it is allowed and most likely would result in the biker being found at fault so.. why should my insurance rates climb because of the need for some to lane-split.
Riding takes enough concentration as it is, adding to that by the heightened dangers of lane-splitting does not seem to make sense. How many times has someone in a car moved over in their lane on you? How often have you had to make sudden adjustments because of that, even if the car didn’t complete the lane change (or perhaps was just wandering within their lane)? When having a full lane the biker has the room to move over, in lane-splitting situations, not so much.
Interestingly enough most riders I’ve talked to about this that were once couriers agree that the added strain for daily riding just would not be worth it and don’t support this effort.
If you ask me, I’d be more concerned about pushing for some more important issues such as
1. Driver Awareness training, for both cagers And bikers. How many times have you been riding and some other rider tried to pass you, In Your Own Lane, recently? Its been happening to me more lately and I take issues with Anyone trying to share my lane, esp. someone I don’t even know!
2. Cracking down on distracted driving: Making cell phone usage a primary offence along with other distractions such the makeup, eating, reading, etc we see so often.
3. Helmets: they Should be mandatory and remain so where the laws are under review for repeal. Face it, they help save lives and serious head trauma and while we have rights, the right to choose to do things that negatively impact others has to carefully considered and weighed against the general population’s rights. And yes, not wearing helmets Do impact others, via higher insurance rates for everyone in those states that don’t have them, if nothing else. While I generally don’t cotton to anti-stupidity laws, sometimes they just have to be enacted.
4. Motorcycle safety issues as regards design issues: Esp. with sports bikes, the rear lighting is on quite a few models, essentially non-existent. Tail lights, brake lights and turn signals are essentially ineffective. I know there have been a number of times I could not see them when they were braking or turning even at night some models hardly show the existence of the bike when coming up from behind. Putting the biker as risk All just for sake of “style”. We mandate other safety issues why should one type of bike be excluded.
So for this issue, I cannot lend my support, there just too many other issues of much greater importance, at least to me. You asked for opinions, well here’s one more in the CON column.
And like George, I don’t see us, as riders, being deserving of any special privileges just because we ride. If us why not sky divers, or scuba divers, or jive divers.. I say let skydivers land in the middle of highways and ensure everyone Has to make way for them, and let scuba diver swim in the sewers (yuck!)and come crawling out of man hole covers in the street and ensure everyone avoid hitting them when they do, cause well, their special..
Fromerly MR. MonkeyButt now Mr. Breezy-Butt!
http://roadrunes.com

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts" - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

"I think you're a NUT!"- Tina
RocketMan
Board Wizard

Postby dcgsrider » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:57 pm

biometrics wrote:Okay... I have basically tried to stay out of the debate, but since you feel that the peanut gallery has been too quiet, here is my feedback.

Without trying to be argumentative, I have to side with George... I don't think that we should allow special privileges for motorcycles [-X anymore than I think motorcycles should be allowed to use bicycle lanes... (even though they ARE bicycles, eh?). They are simply motor vehicles that require additional skills to operate... having those skills doesn't convey any special road privileges in my mind.

While I DO enjoy the privilege of using the HOV lanes without having a Pillion on board, I have absolutely no idea why it is allowed since we are not HOV-2.

Just my $0.02

If HOV lanes are being sold as a congestion mitigation scheme, then allowing motorcycles makes perfect sense. Besides, it's federal law. (Oddly, the FHWA justifies motorcycle use of HOV as a "safety" measure.) http://ops.fhwa.dot.gov/freewaymgmt/faq.htm#faq15

And you can ask Bob Higdon about the long struggle to get VDOT to follow the law and allow motorcycles in the HOV lanes.

It does bug me I have to pay the same "2-axle" rate as a massive SUV on the Dulles Toll Road.
Paul Wilson
Arlington, Va.
2009 R1200GS "Franz" Namibia Orange
IBA# 12143
KI4PW
dcgsrider
Board Guru

Postby dcgsrider » Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:05 pm

RocketMan wrote:1. Driver Awareness training, for both cagers And bikers. How many times have you been riding and some other rider tried to pass you, In Your Own Lane, recently? Its been happening to me more lately and I take issues with Anyone trying to share my lane, esp. someone I don’t even know!

Cagers seem to be doing this way more often of late. I write it off as equal parts stupidity and selfishness. I had an Arlington cop (no lights/siren) come up beside me on the left, in my lane. I was sitting at a light, blinker on, waiting for the left turn. This is a particularly troublesome light near my house, because unless you stop way to the right in the left-turn lane, right on top of the detector loop, the light won't trip. You have to "protect" your lane, but it's not always possible due to road conditions. You have to be eternally vigilant for drivers doing stupid crap. SMH. :Blaster:
Paul Wilson
Arlington, Va.
IBA# 12143
KI4PW
dcgsrider
Board Guru

Postby Georgeinva » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:56 pm

I can not find it now be seem to remember several people gripping about cars pulling up next to them at wide intersections. If you pass a law making a motorcycle anything less than a full vehicle limited to but also untitled to a full lane just wait for the carnage. Bad idea don't do it.
Gridlock Motors
7155 Opal rd
Warrenton VA. 20186
(571) 318 2472
http://www.beemersuberalles.com
http://www.gridlockmotors.com/

"It needs to be about 20% cooler "
Georgeinva
Board Guru

Postby PhilAger » Wed May 01, 2013 6:35 pm

Sadly, our May 2nd meeting with the MD SHA was just postponed due to Mr. Ward's demanding schedule. #-o

That provides us some extra time to discuss this issue. I think it's a matter of drivers' education; God knows our community needs better drivers & more education!

I also heard from a supporter in CA who is tracking legislation in CA & Nevada to allow "lane splitting" IAW the new CHP Guidelines.
Check out their cool sticker!
=D>
http://lanesplittingislegal.com/tag/sb-350

Here's another link on the topic for those who are supportive of the Lane Splitting Concept and are registered in Facebook (which we're not). :lol:
https://www.facebook.com/Lanesplittingislegal

I'll let you know how our initial meeting on M/C safety goes just as soon as it occurs. Further Discussion/Thoughts??? :mrgreen:

Sláinte! (Gaelic)
Phil & Karen
2010 F800GS,
2009 F650GS,
2009 Kawasaki KLX250S,
2008 Honda CRF230L, and
1975 R90S.
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
“…And pray that there’s intelligent life somewhere up in space,
‘Cause there’s bugger all down here on Earth.” – Eric Idle’s The Galaxy Song
View at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23Dm7sQ1C1E&feature=related
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
PhilAger

Postby dcgsrider » Thu May 02, 2013 9:09 am

Georgeinva wrote:I can not find it now be seem to remember several people gripping about cars pulling up next to them at wide intersections. If you pass a law making a motorcycle anything less than a full vehicle limited to but also untitled to a full lane just wait for the carnage. Bad idea don't do it.

Had another driver pass me on the right (and veer onto the shoulder to do so) on 66 the other day. I was in the left hand "mini-lane" at the time. In Virginia, driving on the shoulder is reckless driving. Apparently I wasn't moving fast enough for her taste. I was cruising with the flow of traffic and preparing to exit soon from the right-most lane. Good thing I religiously scan my mirrors. No shortage of selfish, thoughtless idiots out there.
Paul Wilson
Arlington, Va.
IBA# 12143
KI4PW
dcgsrider
Board Guru

Postby Unity » Thu May 02, 2013 11:19 am

dcgsrider wrote:Had another driver pass me on the right (and veer onto the shoulder to do so) on 66 the other day. I was in the left hand "mini-lane" at the time. In Virginia, driving on the shoulder is reckless driving. Apparently I wasn't moving fast enough for her taste. I was cruising with the flow of traffic and preparing to exit soon from the right-most lane. Good thing I religiously scan my mirrors. No shortage of selfish, thoughtless idiots out there.

This is way OT, but back when I van-pooled on I-66, there was a guy in an aging Nissan Altima who would purposely poke along well below traffic speed in the left lane, causing people to take chances to get around him. After a while, he would cut across traffic to the shoulder, zoom ahead a half-mile or so, push his way back to the left lane ahead of those who had passed him, and resume his passive-aggressive pace. He scared me.

--John
2002 R1150RT, Silver

(Trust me.)
Unity
Shaman

Postby PhilAger » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:43 pm

Meeting with MD State Highway Administration Officials

Karen and Philip finally met with representatives of Maryland’s State Highway Administration (SHA) with regard to California’s Lane Splitting Guidelines as we
initiated back in February (due to John Douglas’ post). We had a reasonable face-to-face encounter with Mr. Cedric Ward and Mr. Jean Point-du-Jour in Hanover,
MD. Mr. Andrew Krajewski, Driver Safety Division Director, (a ‘mature’ and dedicated Gold Wing rider) teleconferenced into our meeting from his office at MVA
HQs in Glen Burnie. Andrew commutes from Frederick to Glen Burnie regularly, so he knew what I was talking about when we discussed my frustration when it
comes to getting stuck in a sudden Stau (German for traffic jam)! As my email stated, this is becoming more common on Maryland’s highways all the time
(especially during the summer weekend getaway). I made reference to the Washington Post’s February report that Washington D.C. obtained the
number 1 rating in wasting time and energy in the latest 2012 Texas A&M University transportation study, and the fact that many countries allow and
encourage lane splitting on their highways and at traffic lights. Mr Krajewski had the boldness to say he has often uses the break-down lane to proceed
slowly during such traffic jams, where I reminded him that that isn’t technically LEGAL! He said he uses common sense and doesn’t want to excite already
irritated drivers. I remarked that my cousin in England told me that the whole point of riding a motorcycle on the M25 ring road is to be able to legally lane split
when necessary (which is everyday)!

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/trafficandcommuting/washington-rated-the-worst-for-traffic-congestion--again/2013/02/04/125be724-6ee3-11e2-8b8d-e0b59a1b8e2a_story.html

http://s3.documentcloud.org/documents/566377/2012-urban-mobility-report.pdf

We chatted constructively for almost an hour about the continuing development of Maryland’s Strategic Highway Safety Plan (SHSP), driver safety in general,
and motorcyclists in depth. We covered many of the topics that I had described in my initial email to MD bureaucrats on 14Feb13. Andrew said that he
participates in bimonthly meetings with selected individuals from various state agencies to further the production of the SHSP. One of those designated
individuals is our own Bob Henig who represents all MD motorcycle dealers. The next SHSP meeting is scheduled for June 10th, 1-3 PM on the ground floor
of the MVA HQs in Glen Burnie; I/we expect to attend and hear/steer the discussions more to motorcycle concerns (after the official business is concluded).
Address is: 6601 Ritchie Highway, N.E. Glen Burnie, MD 21062 (off I-695, Exit 3B, Rt. 2 South). The existing “working document” is at:
http://roads.maryland.gov/oots/SHSP.pdf

The MVA’s website states: "Traffic safety is a paramount concern in the State of Maryland," said Maryland Motor Vehicle Administrator John T. Kuo, who is
also Governor Martin O’Malley's Highway Safety Representative. "In Maryland, more people die in traffic crashes each year than from violent crime. More
than 500 people were killed in crashes in 2012." And “To reduce motor vehicle-related fatalities and injuries, Maryland is focusing not only on the issues
that cause the greatest number of traffic safety problems, but on the geographic areas where traffic crashes are most prevalent. Avenues toward zero
deaths on which Maryland will concentrate are distracted driving, impaired driving, aggressive driving, highway infrastructure, the wearing of seat belts
and pedestrian safety
.”

I guess we motorcyclists would be better off if the young, irrationally exuberant riders could grow-up and not kill themselves or others while doing stupid bike
tricks on our highways, and if the cagers would Pay Attention to Their Driving Tasks by keeping their eyes on the road and their hands on the steering wheel!
[-X [-o< [-X

Sláinte! (Gaelic)
Phil & Karen
2010 F800GS,
2009 F650GS,
2009 Kawasaki KLX250S,
2008 Honda CRF230L, and
1975 R90S.
“…And pray that there’s intelligent life somewhere up in space,
‘Cause there’s bugger all down here on Earth.” – Eric Idle’s The Galaxy Song
View at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23Dm7sQ1C1E&feature=related
PhilAger

Postby sati8d » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:06 pm

thanks Phil and Karen for that great update!
Smooth throttle and spirited twisties!

Tony
'09 R1200 GS Adv
...and the piggy's still saying: "whhhhiiiiiiii"
sati8d
Babies GS

Postby Chiba » Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:24 am

I think there's a certain measure in any subgroup of wanting to be treated special. Kind of funny, in a way, because many minority groups insist on being treated equally in many other arenas of life.

IMO if you're on the road, you should be treated the same as any other vehicle on the road & should be required to behave as every other vehicle on the road. That includes bicycles.

I enjoy the perk of being able to use the HOV lanes. Some toll roads afford lower rates for mc's, some don't. Doesn't really bother me much either way.
BMW MOA Digital News Editor www.bmwmoa.org
- 05 R1200GS - 98 K1200RS + Hannigan Classic sidecar -
Chiba
The FUNNY One

Postby Unity » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:18 am

T.Wesley wrote:IMO if you're on the road, you should be treated the same as any other vehicle on the road

But there are already recognized differences. Trucks have speed, lane, and use restrictions that the rest of us don't have. Why? because they're great big. Maybe those of us who are little-bitty should get appropriate recognition too.

--John
2002 R1150RT, Silver

(Trust me.)
Unity
Shaman

PreviousNext

Return to Government Affairs