2013 Va. legislative session

Discussions regarding Government Affairs issues. Moderated by the GA officer

2013 Va. legislative session

Postby dcgsrider » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:02 pm

There are a few bills pending in the Virginia General Assembly that may affect motorcyclists.

I'll post a summary cribbed from VCOM here. If you want more details, and VCOM recommendation of support or opposition, visit the VCOM site. http://vcomonline.org/bills-of-interest/

Motorcycle training centers
Bill Number: HB 1476
Amends Virginia Code to relax the rules on the type of motorcycles which may be used in the Virginia Rider Training Program.

Helmet law applies only to those under the age of 21
Bill Number: HB 2010
Provides that Virginia’s mandatory motorcycle helmet law applies only to those under the age of 21.

Status: recommended to be tabled by subcommittee (in plain language meaning it's unlikely to advance)

Titling and registration of mopeds and distinctive license plates for low-speed vehicles.
Bill Number: HB 1984

The bill provides for the titling and registration of mopeds and distinctive license plates for low-speed vehicles. The bill also requires a moped operator to carry government-issued photo identification and wear a face shield, safety glasses, or goggles if his moped is not equipped with safety glass or a windshield. It also makes sales of all-terrain vehicles, off-road motorcycles, and mopeds subject to the same taxes as the sale of other motor vehicles and makes mopeds subject to the tangible personal property tax.

The bill also changes motorcycle-operator licensing and would adopt 3 classes: M3, M2 and M. M3 would be restricted to the operation of a 3 wheeled motorcycle and would be issued to those who test on a 3 wheeler or take the trike/sidecar course. M2 would be restricted to operation of 2 wheeled motorcycles and issued to those who test on a 2 wheeled motorcycle or take the basic rider course. M would allow riders to operate either a two wheeled motorcycle or a three wheeled motorcycle. If a rider currently holds an M classification they not be forced to take a new exam or get re-licensed.

Motorcycle rider training centers; requires motorcycles supplied meet certain criteria.
Bill Number: HB 1865
Requires that motorcycle rider safety training centers provide at least one motorcycle per student that meet the current criteria. That criteria is : (i) an engine displacement of no more than 500 cubic centimeters, (ii) a weight of less than 400 pounds, and (iii) is equipped with a seat whose height will accommodate each novice rider course participant.

Status: subcommittee recommends incorporating with HB 1476 (above)

Cold weather gear that partially covers the face.
Bill Number: HB 1810
Provides that the provisions of the Code section punishing the wearing of a mask by a person older than 16 as a Class 6 felony shall not apply to persons wearing cold weather gear that partially covers the face.

Status: recommended to be tabled by subcommittee (meaning it is unlikely to advance)
Paul Wilson
Arlington, Va.
2009 R1200GS "Franz" Namibia Orange
IBA# 12143
KI4PW
dcgsrider
Board Guru

Re: 2013 Va. legislative session

Postby ChaseH » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:29 pm

If I wear my balaclava right now it's a felony? Never knew that one. I better not take my [full face] helmet off in front of a LEO, revealing said mask.
09 R1200 GS
14 S1000RR HP4

Scuba Travel & Motorcycle photos
http://chaseh.smugmug.com/
ChaseH
Where GS = Gone Skidding

Postby Unity » Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:45 pm

Just don't forget to take it off before you go into the convenience store.

--John
2002 R1150RT, Silver
Silver, the "cool and aloof" color.
(Road & Track Vol. 56, No.2, p. 19)

1971 Triumph Bonneville, Gold
Gold, the "paying the restorer" color.
(Trust me.)
Unity
Shaman

Postby JSWillis » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:10 pm

Thnakfully global warming means we don't need cold weather gear anymore.

ChaseH wrote:If I wear my balaclava right now it's a felony? Never knew that one. I better not take my [full face] helmet off in front of a LEO, revealing said mask.
2007 K1200GT (well, sort of)
IBA#31809
Global Cooling - it's the coming thing.
JSWillis
Board Guru

Postby Georgeinva » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:08 am

ChaseH wrote: I better not take my [full face] helmet off in front of a LEO, revealing said mask.

Uncle Leo?
Gridlock Motors
7155 Opal rd
Warrenton VA. 20186
(571) 318 2472
http://www.beemersuberalles.com
http://www.gridlockmotors.com/

"It needs to be about 20% cooler "
Georgeinva
Board Guru

Postby ChaseH » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:26 am

George, Hello!
09 R1200 GS
14 S1000RR HP4

Scuba Travel & Motorcycle photos
http://chaseh.smugmug.com/
ChaseH
Where GS = Gone Skidding

Postby dcgsrider » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:58 pm

Update:

There are a couple of provisions of interest from the General Assembly heading for the Governor's signature. One allows for suspension of registration and cancellation of your insurance. You can re-activate your registration and pay a small fee to DMV to get your vehicle back on the road. Good for people away on temporary duty, overseas postings, or if you have that special garage queen you don't want exposed to the ravages of winter. (Probably the last category doesn't apply much to this group. :D ) The second is a separate licensure category for three- and two-wheeled motorcycles. As of July 1, those trained and/or tested on a three-wheeler will get an M3 endorsement. Those trained and/or tested on a two-wheeler will receive an M2. Current M endorsement holders are grandfathered. At the time of renewal, DMW will query you about two- or three-wheeled experience. The VCOM legislative update suggests you "let your conscience be your guide" in answering the clerk.
Paul Wilson
Arlington, Va.
2009 R1200GS "Franz" Namibia Orange
IBA# 12143
KI4PW
dcgsrider
Board Guru

Return to Government Affairs