ABATE in Annapolis...

Discussions regarding Government Affairs issues. Moderated by the GA officer

Re: ABATE in Annapolis...

Postby RocketMan » Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:39 pm

Anton wrote:I actually still have the posts from the Airheads list where this was mentioned in late November, 2005:

========
I have in front of me the local free motorcycle magazine "Bikes & Babes". On page 24 in an article by Jim George state director ABATE of Georgia. He reports that when the weather turns cold and we wear scarves and full face helmets our inflow of fresh oxygen is decreased and is replaced with our own exhaled carbon dioxide. Allegedly this increase in CO2 causes the rider to become "light headed" possibly causing a "black-Out" which usually results in an accident, often fatal.
He further alleges that former astronaut Pete Conrad died in a MC crash in 1999 the cause of which was a direct result of "oxygen deprivation"
======================
All due respect to the Astronaut but he was riding a Harley farm tractor, speeding, and failed to negotiate a fairly simple turn. The weather at that time was in the 70-80 degree range. I doubt seriously that he had a scarf on. Furthermore, he was wearing one of those Tupperware helmets.
======================
... An astronaut of all people would be well aware of the symptoms....
=============================
More gems from "Greetings from God's Country, the State of Georgia" by Jim George of ABATE ... "A related cause of single vehicle accidents resulting in fatalities is wearing full face helmets and gear." - Jim George in B&B, Dec. '05 issue

(so we are to believe that someone who gets a mag called Bikes and Babes, is actually going to READ it??? Yeah, right, like I used to "READ" playboy as kid... uh huh, sure......!) :lol: (although I did know a guy who used work for PB writing some of the "letters" from readers... You mean they aren't Real letters from Real people???????) :lol:

now, you see, you just can't make that sh*t up! "What a Tool" seems like an appropriate response to such non-sense...

everyone knows the biggest single cause of motorcycle accidents is well

Riding Motorcycles, DUH!

( I mean think about it, when was the last time you heard of someone dieing while riding a motorcycle when operating their Car???)

RM
Fromerly MR. MonkeyButt now Mr. Breezy-Butt!
http://roadrunes.com

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts" - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

"I think you're a NUT!"- Tina
RocketMan
Board Wizard

Postby radon222 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:39 pm

like I used to "READ" playboy as kid... uh huh, sure......!

I was just talking about that today with a buddy at work. I can honestly that I know one guy that only read Playboy for the articles, and not once did he look at the girly pictures. My apartment mate in grad school was totally blind and had a subscription to the Braille version of PB 8) .
'14 GSAW <--mine
'12 R1200RT <-- The Wifey's pimpin ride
radon222
Board Guru

Postby dcgsrider » Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:55 pm

Anton wrote:I actually still have the posts from the Airheads list where this was mentioned in late November, 2005:

========
I have in front of me the local free motorcycle magazine "Bikes & Babes". On page 24 in an article by Jim George state director ABATE of Georgia. He reports that when the weather turns cold and we wear scarves and full face helmets our inflow of fresh oxygen is decreased and is replaced with our own exhaled carbon dioxide. Allegedly this increase in CO2 causes the rider to become "light headed" possibly causing a "black-Out" which usually results in an accident, often fatal.
He further alleges that former astronaut Pete Conrad died in a MC crash in 1999 the cause of which was a direct result of "oxygen deprivation"
======================

Good grief. I hadn't seen that before. Until ABATE disavows the zany Helmet Flat-Earthers in its ranks, I have hard time taking the organization seriously. :twitching:
Paul Wilson
Arlington, Va.
2009 R1200GS "Franz" Namibia Orange
IBA# 12143
KI4PW
dcgsrider
Board Guru

Postby shelion » Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:23 am

ABATE is like Mensa in that they require an IQ test for membership. Except where Mensa has a minimum, ABATE has a maximum. :D

Imagine how much smaller and more efficient government would be if they didn't invent solutions for non-existent problems.
It's hard to dance with the devil on your back, so shake him off.

2010 F650GS
shelion
Fire Goddess

Postby Anton » Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:43 am

The tire aging bill was defeated a few weeks ago, BTW.

"Tires sold in the United States now carry an imprint showing the date of manufacture in what Kramer described as a "cryptic code" that few consumers understand. For instance, a tire stamped with the number 1308 would have been made in the 13th week of 2008."

Man, that is serious NSA-level encryption.

The bill would have done very little. Very rarely are dangerously old tires sold; most tires are that old because they've been sold a long time ago and the proposed warning would have been long forgotten.
Anton Largiader
The Muffin Man
http://vamotorrad.com
Anton
Board Wizard

Postby RocketMan » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:22 pm

Pisst... dude........over here...
wanna buy some brand new motorcycle tires, cheap?

Are the they fresh?

Fresh? but of course... see this stamp right here...

You mean the one that reads 36 PSI Max?

Yeah, see the 3 stands for the hour it was made, the 6 for how many days ago.... can't get any fresher than that!

But whats the PSI MAX mean?

Man, that's the initials of the guy who make 'em, geeezzzz, everyone knows that!

OK, I'll buy all three!

RM
Fromerly MR. MonkeyButt now Mr. Breezy-Butt!
http://roadrunes.com

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts" - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

"I think you're a NUT!"- Tina
RocketMan
Board Wizard

Previous

Return to Government Affairs