ABATE in Annapolis...

Discussions regarding Government Affairs issues. Moderated by the GA officer

ABATE in Annapolis...

Postby RJP3579 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:18 am

So ABATE held a rally in Annapolis to get the helmet law repealed again as well as rally support for the aging tire bill. The tire bill would require a manufacturer or distrubutor to affix a label on the tire with the tires date of manufacture as well as a bit about how age affects a tire. Then the merchant who sells you the tire must have you sign a disclosure as to the age of the tire and they must keep a copy for three years.
So, the gubermint can't tell me to wear a helmet for my safety but it can tell businesses to put more labels on stuff and have me sign more stuff and have the cost of tires go up to pay for all these labels and disclosures when I can look on the tire and see the date of manufacture myself, for my safety.

http://wbal.com/article/87941/3/template-story/See-Video-Motorcyclists-Rally-In-Annapolis
Rick :rider:
RJP3579
Are you not entertained?

Re: ABATE in Annapolis...

Postby Chiba » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:59 am

Yeah, that totally makes sense. Sheesh, bureaucracy.
BMW MOA Digital News Editor www.bmwmoa.org
- 05 R1200GS - 98 K1200RS + Hannigan Classic sidecar -
Chiba
The FUNNY One

Postby ERC Scott » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:07 am

Pretty sure that every street legal tire (car & bike) sold in USA has a "born-on" date code impressed onto the tire sidewall, along with max pressure & other info.
The code is 4 numerals: first 2 are the # of week of production & last 2 are the year. So a code of 1011 indicates a production in early March 2011. Scott
2016 R1200RS
2005 R1200 GS
2015 1290 SuperDuke-R

You don't choose your life, you live it.
ERC Scott
Board Wizard

Postby RocketMan » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:58 am

ERC Scott wrote:Pretty sure that every street legal tire (car & bike) sold in USA has a "born-on" date code impressed onto the tire sidewall, along with max pressure & other info.
The code is 4 numerals: first 2 are the # of week of production & last 2 are the year. So a code of 1011 indicates a production in early March 2011. Scott

How do you know it doesn't mean 1911 ???? I mean really, they did have motorcycles back then....

RM
Fromerly MR. MonkeyButt now Mr. Breezy-Butt!
http://roadrunes.com

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts" - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

"I think you're a NUT!"- Tina
RocketMan
Board Wizard

Postby ERC Scott » Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:07 pm

RocketMan wrote:
ERC Scott wrote:Pretty sure that every street legal tire (car & bike) sold in USA has a "born-on" date code impressed onto the tire sidewall, along with max pressure & other info.

How do you know it doesn't mean 1911 ???? I mean really, they did have motorcycles back then....

RM

True -- but they (we) didn't have a DOT or a mandate for safety info on tires :lol: Or, helmets for that matter. In fact, my grandfather started riding not too long after 1911 as a dispatch courier in WWI operations. I have a photo of him astride his Indian sidecar in USA uniform 8) wearing what I think was a campaign hat (Smokey bear wide brim). Kept the rain out of his eyes.

Scott
2016 R1200RS
2005 R1200 GS
2015 1290 SuperDuke-R

You don't choose your life, you live it.
ERC Scott
Board Wizard

Postby dcgsrider » Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:46 pm

RJP3579 wrote:So ABATE held a rally in Annapolis to get the helmet law repealed again as well as rally support for the aging tire bill. The tire bill would require a manufacturer or distrubutor to affix a label on the tire with the tires date of manufacture as well as a bit about how age affects a tire. Then the merchant who sells you the tire must have you sign a disclosure as to the age of the tire and they must keep a copy for three years.
So, the gubermint can't tell me to wear a helmet for my safety but it can tell businesses to put more labels on stuff and have me sign more stuff and have the cost of tires go up to pay for all these labels and disclosures when I can look on the tire and see the date of manufacture myself, for my safety.

http://wbal.com/article/87941/3/template-story/See-Video-Motorcyclists-Rally-In-Annapolis

Sounds like a solution in search of a problem. Is there really a rash of unscrupulous dealers and tire distributors fobbing off dodgy tires on an unsuspecting public? Besides, whatever happened to "caveat emptor"? Look at the date codes.
Paul Wilson
Arlington, Va.
2009 R1200GS "Franz" Namibia Orange
IBA# 12143
KI4PW
dcgsrider
Board Guru

Postby Georgeinva » Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:02 am

This is true for tire built after 2000. Before 2000 they will have a 3 digit code.

Listening to the video it sound like he said titling bill. He also said it applies to scooters and mopeds. I don't know if scooter tires have date codes.

The only relevant issue I see is warranty. Most manufactures will not cover a tire that is over 5 years old.
Gridlock Motors
7155 Opal rd
Warrenton VA. 20186
(571) 318 2472
http://www.beemersuberalles.com
http://www.gridlockmotors.com/

"It needs to be about 20% cooler "
Georgeinva
Board Guru

Postby redman » Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:19 am

Scooter tires do have date codes. At least the 8 I have do.
redman
Board Guru

Postby guitardad » Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:17 am

'zactly. The new front tire I need for Sonic arrived this week - date code 3811. I'll assume it's not 1911. (OK with you, Jeff? :D ) It's actually a Federal DOT requirement. Not sure why we need another state law to address it.
Chaz
'16 S1000XR "Raquel" - Red, the "energetic and quick-thinking" color
'79 R65 "Hans" - Red also ( I sense a pattern!)
guitardad
Original Oilhead

Postby henwin » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:28 pm

guitardad wrote:

'zactly. The new front tire I need for Sonic arrived this week - date code 3811. I'll assume it's not 1911. (OK with you, Jeff? :D ) It's actually a Federal DOT requirement. Not sure why we need another state law to address it.

We don't need a state law--we've got the Feds covering for us. =D> It just shows you that certain lawmakers are not to ....(I don't want to be too harsh, here) uh, OK, bright, when it comes to making laws. You'd think they'd at least do a #-o little investigation to see if what they want to do isn't already covered by somebody else--maybe higher up the food chain. I call these people FMs (the 2nd word is "morons"). :lol:
KTRSD,

Henry S. Winokur, Treasurer
Retired MSF & Total Control Instructor
The problem is not high-performance motorcycles. It's low-performance riders...
Remember when sex was safe and motorcycles were dangerous?
henwin
Board Wizard

Postby Anton » Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:32 pm

ABATE... the same folks whose Georgia chapter director thought that full-face helmets endangered riders because they reduced the availability of oxygen.

Seriously.
Anton Largiader
The Muffin Man
http://vamotorrad.com
Anton
Board Wizard

Postby henwin » Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:48 pm

Anton wrote:ABATE... :flask: the same folks whose Georgia chapter director thought that full-face helmets endangered riders because they reduced the availability of [-X oxygen.Seriously.
#-o
He/she rides on the MOON, right :?: Another example of a FM.........
KTRSD,

Henry S. Winokur, Treasurer
Retired MSF & Total Control Instructor
The problem is not high-performance motorcycles. It's low-performance riders...
Remember when sex was safe and motorcycles were dangerous?
henwin
Board Wizard

Postby RocketMan » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:35 am

guitardad wrote:

No [-X #-o

RM

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts" - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

RocketMan
Board Wizard

Postby RocketMan » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:45 am

Anton wrote:ABATE... the same folks whose Georgia chapter director thought that full-face helmets endangered riders because they reduced the availability of oxygen.

Seriously.

Actually, if you think about it, the greater danger would be suffocation due to all the C02 getting trapped inside the helmet rather than a lack of O2...

just saying....

then again, if you actually did think about it, you'd realize how incredibly numskullery idiotic someone would have to be to even consider it a possibility!

And as far as the on the Moon comment made by someone else..... hate to tell you but..... there is NO air on the moon so it wouldn't even Be an issue, Duh!!! :lol:

RM

RocketMan
Board Wizard

Postby Anton » Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:22 pm

I actually still have the posts from the Airheads list where this was mentioned in late November, 2005:

========
I have in front of me the local free motorcycle magazine "Bikes & Babes". On page 24 in an article by Jim George state director ABATE of Georgia. He reports that when the weather turns cold and we wear scarves and full face helmets our inflow of fresh oxygen is decreased and is replaced with our own exhaled carbon dioxide. Allegedly this increase in CO2 causes the rider to become "light headed" possibly causing a "black-Out" which usually results in an accident, often fatal.
He further alleges that former astronaut Pete Conrad died in a MC crash in 1999 the cause of which was a direct result of "oxygen deprivation"
======================
All due respect to the Astronaut but he was riding a Harley farm tractor, speeding, and failed to negotiate a fairly simple turn. The weather at that time was in the 70-80 degree range. I doubt seriously that he had a scarf on. Furthermore, he was wearing one of those Tupperware helmets.
======================
... An astronaut of all people would be well aware of the symptoms....
=============================
More gems from "Greetings from God's Country, the State of Georgia" by Jim George of ABATE ... "A related cause of single vehicle accidents resulting in fatalities is wearing full face helmets and gear." - Jim George in B&B, Dec. '05 issue
Anton Largiader
The Muffin Man
http://vamotorrad.com
Anton
Board Wizard

Next

Return to Government Affairs