Motorcycle Only Parking in DC

Discussions regarding Government Affairs issues. Moderated by the GA officer

Motorcycle Only Parking in DC

Postby ASLRider » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:06 am

I regularly park in the motorcycle only street spots scattered throughout the city, and over the past year I have remarked on the inconsistency of these spots. There are a number of convenient locations, but unfortunately the rates, time limits, and meters vary widely. Spots on 11 st nw between G and H are 12 hours with coin operated meters at 25 cents per half hour. Virginia ave SW has spots at the same rate but with a 4 hour limit. Moto spots in DuPont circle and most recently at GWU on Eye st nw have upgraded meters that accept credit cards directly, but don't have motorcycle specific rates- despite the fact that there are 4 Moto spots in the space of one car, these meters charge $2/hour. At GWU these new meters are marked as 12 hour parking, but the meters are programmed to max out at 1 hour of parking. Further, the parkmobile an pay-by-phone options do not respect motorcycle only parking rates, and I have been told that some people have gotten tickets and been told that it doesn't apply to motorcycles.

All that to say- how can we advocate for consistency in Moto street parking regulation in DC? I get the impression that, rather than intentionally excluding motorcycles and raising the parking rates for them, no one has considered motorcycle parking when technology and policy is updated. Ideas? Can we talk to DDoT as a group about this?

G
-G
http://www.gerardwilliams.net
1994 R1100RS "Erni" (thanks Karl!)

"Winter is coming"
ASLRider

Re: Motorcycle Only Parking in DC

Postby dcgsrider » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:12 pm

Title 18 of the DC Municipal Regulations, §2404, sets the rates for meters and "pay to park" spaces. If they are charging anything more than 25 cents/hour for dedicated motorcycle spaces, DDOT is violating its own regulations.

http://os.dc.gov/os/frames.asp?doc=/os/ ... ter_24.pdf
Paul Wilson
Arlington, Va.
2009 R1200GS "Franz" Namibia Orange
IBA# 12143
KI4PW
dcgsrider
Board Guru

Postby biometrics » Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:37 pm

Based on what you posted I sent this to the Mayor today:

Mr. Mayor,

I know this may be a minor issue for DC considering the challenges you meet every day, but as a motorcyclist who commutes to the District from Virginia, it is not a minor issue for me to be overcharged on a daily basis.

DC Parking Regulations 18-2404 specifies parking fees in the District to be charged by parking meters.

Even if the maximum allowable charges are used for parking in designated Premium zones, the meters for designated motorcycle parking on C Street between 12th and 13th Streets SW, adjacent to the Department of Agriculture are overcharging motorcyclists in violation of DC parking regulations. These meters are currently charging $0.25 per HALF HOUR of parking. Even by the rates given for PREMIUM parking zones this is twice as much as the parking regulation authorize to be charged, and I do not believe that this zone is a premium demand parking zone.

Here are the published rates in the DC Parking Regulations:

2404.15 Except as provided in § 2424, the rates for parking meters in the “Premium Demand Parking Meter Rate Zones” shall be as follows:

(b) Twenty-five cents per hour (25¢/hr.) for motorcycle size spaces;

2404.17 The rates for parking meters in the “High Demand Parking Meter Rate Zones"
shall be as follows:

(c) Twenty-five cents for ninety minutes (25 [cents]/90 min.) for motorcycle
size spaces.

2404.17 Except as provided in § 2424, the rates for parking meters in the "Normal Demand Parking Meter Rate Zone" shall be as follows:

(b) Twenty-five cents for two hours (25¢/2 hrs) for motorcycle size spaces.

2404.19 The rates for parking meters in the “Lower Demand Parking Meter Rate Zones”
shall be as follows:

(c) Twenty-five cents for four hours (25 [cents]/4 hrs.) for motorcycles size
spaces.

If these spaces fall within the definition of a Lower demand parking zone as I suspect, then the District is overcharging for these motorcycle spaces by 800 percent.

Please take appropriate action to bring these motorcycle spaces specified above into line with the DC regulations for parking.

Thank you for your attention to this matter.

===============

Hope that causes some action...
1983 R100 /T with Velorex Sidecar
2000 K1200LT (Sold!)
1999 R1100RT-P (Sold!)
1983 Honda Nighthawk 650 (Sold!)
1973 Yamaha 125 Enduro (Ripped off!)
My Avatar? U.S. Army - Kagnew Station, Asmara, Eritrea, East Africa, 1972-1973
biometrics
Frequent Poster

Postby ASLRider » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:05 am

Wow- that is excellent. Would it benefit us to have a comprehensive list of motorcycle street parking rates throughout the district? I would be happy to come up with a list. The rates are woefully disparate.

Also see the link below which explains Saturday enforcement, increased rates, and 2 zone meters, but does not mention changes to motorcycle only parking. Ideas?

http://ddot.dc.gov/DC/DDOT/Services/Par ... g+Meters#0
-G
http://www.gerardwilliams.net
1994 R1100RS "Erni" (thanks Karl!)

"Winter is coming"
ASLRider

Return to Government Affairs