MD proposes changes in Antique registrations

Discussions regarding Government Affairs issues. Moderated by the GA officer

MD proposes changes in Antique registrations

Postby tatort » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:55 am

I'm relativey confident that I'm not the only one here who runs antique bikes, so...

There is a Bill in Annapolis that would make a few changes to the Antique/Historic/Vintage registration, including increasing the vehicle age (from 20 to 25 years), redefining the usage limitations, and requiring the purchase of specific historic, show or antique insurance coverage.

Full text HERE.
tatort
Frequent Poster

Re: MD proposes changes in Antique registrations

Postby JimVonBaden » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:07 am

Sounds like VA car rules for antiques. Makes sense to me. If you have an antique, and wish to run permanent antique plates (which in VA means a one-time fee instead of yearly renewal and no inspections) then the restrictions make sense. If you plan on riding it all the time, then you should have regular plates and follow the regular rules.

Jim :cool:
JimVonBaden
Smooth Motorcycle Operator

Postby tatort » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:13 pm

MD only offers the one-time registration on vehicles over 60 years old; otherwise, tags are renewed biennially.

also, MD only requires a safety inspection when the title transfers, and does not (yet) require motorbikes to have emissions inspections, so there are no changes there.

for motorbikes, the significant change appears to be to require the vehicle to be covered under a special insurance policy.
tatort
Frequent Poster

Postby ERC Scott » Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:54 am

I'm curious as to how "antique" vehicle insurance would differ from "non-antique" vehicle insurance and, more to the point, why would MD or VA care as long as the owner carried liability coverage on the antique? My neighbor owns a casualty insurance office; I'll run it by him and let folks know. Scott
2016 R1200RS
2005 R1200 GS
2015 1290 SuperDuke-R

You don't choose your life, you live it.
ERC Scott
Board Wizard

Postby radon222 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:00 pm

Scott,

Antique registration and insurance (liability) coverage are generally much cheaper than regular prices because its presumed that the "antique" will see limited on the road the roads compared to what a daily driver would see. The intention was the restored show cars that are garage queens or driven to weekend shows.

It was not meant for the daily commuter driving around a 25 yr old beater lol
'14 GSAW <--mine
'12 R1200RT <-- The Wifey's pimpin ride
radon222
Board Guru

Postby JimVonBaden » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:06 pm

radon222 wrote:Scott,

Antique registration and insurance (liability) coverage are generally much cheaper than regular prices because its presumed that the "antique" will see limited on the road the roads compared to what a daily driver would see. The intention was the restored show cars that are garage queens or driven to weekend shows.

It was not meant for the daily commuter driving around a 25 yr old beater lol

In VA you have a very specific limit on how much you can drive a car/bike that has antique plates on it. If you intend to drive more, you must get regular plates! Antique plates are one time plates, and require at least liability insurance, but allow for antique coverage that limits miles driven as well.

http://www.dmv.state.va.us/webdoc/citiz ... ntique.asp

http://www.dmv.state.va.us/webdoc/pdf/antique_faqs.pdf

Jim :brow
JimVonBaden
Smooth Motorcycle Operator

Postby ERC Scott » Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:51 pm

Those answers make sense to me. Thanks. Scott
2016 R1200RS
2005 R1200 GS
2015 1290 SuperDuke-R

You don't choose your life, you live it.
ERC Scott
Board Wizard

Postby Anton » Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:12 pm

In Virginia the Antique plate is widely and flagrantly abused. Anyone who doesn't want to repair his vehicle can just get an antique tag (as long as he also has a registered vehicle with a regular plate). Remember, late '80s cars now qualify! Buick Grand National, Mercedes 560SEL, F250, etc. I see them all with antique plates and in horrible condition (no inspections needed). It's abused the same way the Farm Use tag is. I have a 1985 R80 in the shop now with an antique plate. Next year, Muffin will be eligible!

Yes there are restrictions on usage, but they seem to be unenforceable. One allowed use is 'parade.' Meredith says her R51/3 is so slow, every time she rides it there's a parade. :)
Anton Largiader
The Muffin Man
http://vamotorrad.com
Anton
Board Wizard

Return to Government Affairs