Hot Lane info

Discussions regarding Government Affairs issues. Moderated by the GA officer

Hot Lane info

Postby ChaseH » Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:10 pm

Maybe not right for Gov't Affairs, but:

I Ride a Motorcycle

You can use the Express Lanes anytime
without paying a toll.

You do not need an E-ZPass® for your motorcycle.

http://495expresslanes.com/how-do-you-travel
09 R1200 GS
14 S1000RR HP4

Scuba Travel & Motorcycle photos
http://chaseh.smugmug.com/
ChaseH
Where GS = Gone Skidding

Re: Hot Lane info

Postby dcgsrider » Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:54 pm

But...if you do carry an EZ-Pass on your bike, might it be a good idea to make a "tin-foil hat" for it? To ward off the HOT lane transponders. :shock: Or will the system "know" the EZ-Pass belongs to a bike and your account won't be debited?
Paul Wilson
Arlington, Va.
2009 R1200GS "Franz" Namibia Orange
IBA# 12143
KI4PW
dcgsrider
Board Guru

Postby ChaseH » Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:09 pm

The Hot Lanes will require a new switchable EZ-Pass, one that toggles from On to HOV. That way it knows not to charge cars that are carpooling. I don't know what would happen to vehicles carrying the old style pass, if they're automatically get charged or default to not charge.
09 R1200 GS
14 S1000RR HP4

Scuba Travel & Motorcycle photos
http://chaseh.smugmug.com/
ChaseH
Where GS = Gone Skidding

Postby Chiba » Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:57 pm

ChaseH wrote:The Hot Lanes will require a new switchable EZ-Pass, one that toggles from On to HOV. That way it knows not to charge cars that are carpooling. I don't know what would happen to vehicles carrying the old style pass, if they're automatically get charged or default to not charge.

That's a great question - I wonder what will happen.

It'd make a great BTS article :)
BMW MOA Digital News Editor www.bmwmoa.org
- 05 R1200GS - 98 K1200RS + Hannigan Classic sidecar -
Chiba
The FUNNY One

Postby dcgsrider » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:14 pm

ChaseH wrote:The Hot Lanes will require a new switchable EZ-Pass, one that toggles from On to HOV. That way it knows not to charge cars that are carpooling. I don't know what would happen to vehicles carrying the old style pass, if they're automatically get charged or default to not charge.

Interesting. My EZ-Pass currently carries a "motorcycle" rate code.
Paul Wilson
Arlington, Va.
IBA# 12143
KI4PW
dcgsrider
Board Guru

Postby biometrics » Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:01 pm

I had the "rate-code" discussion with an EZ-Pass rep on the the phone a few months ago. I had a problem getting into my account online and called them. While I had them on the phone I asked them if I could add my motorcycle to the list of authorized vehicles for my EZ-Pass... The person told me I needed to get a "motorcycle" class pass for the bike.

For each additional pass you put on your account, they will debit you $35.00 every time you reach the replenishment level of funds... We currently get debited $70.00 (for two passes) when our funds run below that level... I sure didn't want it to jump to $105. I asked what the difference was in the toll costs between a car and a motorcycle and was told there is NO difference in the toll... my next question was "then why do you have to have a separate "motorcycle" class pass?"

There really wasn't an answer to that question... it's like they haven't really thought it through... so I didn't add the bike to my account, and didn't get a separate pass, and on those occasions when I use the bike on the Greenway, or the Dulles Toll Road, I just grab the pass out of my car and take it with me on the bike.

(I bought one of those cell phone pouches with arm strap that people wear while jogging and the EZ-Pass fits perfectly in it.) I wear the pouch on my forearm in the approximate orientation that it would be in the car. It hasn't failed to pay the toll yet... the only issue is that the toll booth thinks it was my car that just passed through...

I am not aware of any road that has "hot lanes" except the Inter-County-Connector between I-270 and I-95... it is the only all electronic toll road in the area as far as I know... I would have only a rare occasion to use it. I guess I should put my EZ-Pass in some kind of a shielded pouch ("tin foil hat") if I travel that road so I don't get charged for driving my car in the Hot Lane. :oops:
1983 R100 /T with Velorex Sidecar
2000 K1200LT (Sold!)
1999 R1100RT-P (Sold!)
1983 Honda Nighthawk 650 (Sold!)
1973 Yamaha 125 Enduro (Ripped off!)
My Avatar? U.S. Army - Kagnew Station, Asmara, Eritrea, East Africa, 1972-1973
biometrics
Frequent Poster

Postby dcgsrider » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:18 pm

biometrics wrote:
For each additional pass you put on your account, they will debit you $35.00 every time you reach the replenishment level of funds... We currently get debited $70.00 (for two passes) when our funds run below that level... I sure didn't want it to jump to $105. I asked what the difference was in the toll costs between a car and a motorcycle and was told there is NO difference in the toll... my next question was "then why do you have to have a separate "motorcycle" class pass?"

Virginia may not have motorcycle-specific toll rates, but other jurisdictions in the consortium do, so getting the right code is probably a compatibility requirement. EZ-Pass facilities that have motorcycle rates include the GW Bridge, Holland and Lincoln Tunnels. It's a significant discount up there.
Paul Wilson
Arlington, Va.
IBA# 12143
KI4PW
dcgsrider
Board Guru

Postby biometrics » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:31 pm

Thanks for that
Information Paul!
1983 R100 /T with Velorex Sidecar
2000 K1200LT (Sold!)
1999 R1100RT-P (Sold!)
1983 Honda Nighthawk 650 (Sold!)
1973 Yamaha 125 Enduro (Ripped off!)
My Avatar? U.S. Army - Kagnew Station, Asmara, Eritrea, East Africa, 1972-1973
biometrics
Frequent Poster

Postby Anton » Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:27 am

10-4 on the discounts in other places. From what I remember about riding around NYC about ten years ago, the bridges were something like half price for bikes, and the full toll can be around $10. The savings can add up pretty quickly.
Anton Largiader
The Muffin Man
http://vamotorrad.com
Anton
Board Wizard

Return to Government Affairs