VA- Riding 2 Abreast and MC-only checkpoint bills

Discussions regarding Government Affairs issues. Moderated by the GA officer

Re: VA- Riding 2 Abreast and MC-only checkpoint bills

Postby stevebmw » Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:58 pm

JimVonBaden wrote:I tend to agree. Other than when stopped at a light or sign, I NEVER ride next to someone. There are very few riders I would trust to have the skills to maintain safe distances with me, and then there is the unexpected. There is just no good reason to do it IMHO.

In general, I agree, though there are plenty of times my fellow riders and I have briefly pulled up next to each other to signal a need to exit for gas or whatever. The stories I was hearing were more about pulling up next to another rider at a light and getting ticketed, rather than extended riding that way.

By the way, both measures have now passed the Senate and, after a minor reconciliation in the House on the riding abreast issue, are headed for the Governor's signature. The new change will take effect on July 1.

The elimination of motorcycle-only checkpoints is a major advance for motorcyclist rights in Virginia. I applaud all who worked both of these issues.
Steve Anderson
2002 R1150GS
Morton's BMW Motorcycles
Your HQ for GS fun!
Fredericksburg, Virginia
540-891-9844
steve@mortonsbmw.com
http://www.mortonsbmw.com
stevebmw
Board Viking

Postby dcgsrider » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:10 pm

The House of Delegates voted yesterday 87-10 to accept the Senate's minor amendment to HB97. The amendment clarified the two-abreast exemption applies only to two-wheeled motorcycles. So, both pieces of legislation await the governor's signature.
Paul Wilson
Arlington, Va.
2009 R1200GS "Franz" Namibia Orange
IBA# 12143
KI4PW
dcgsrider
Board Guru

Postby henwin » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:30 pm

JSWillis wrote:§ 46.2-857. Driving two abreast in a single lane.
A person shall be guilty of reckless driving who drives any motor vehicle, including any motorcycle, so as to be abreast of another vehicle in a lane designed for one vehicle, or drives any motor vehicle, including any motorcycle, so as to travel abreast of any other vehicle traveling in a lane designed for one vehicle. <<snip>>

My question is: how does the law in VA define "drives"? The reason I ask is that I've heard of motorcyclists being ticketed for being stopped abreast at an intersection. I would define "drives" as the vehicle is moving, but perhaps VA [-X defines "drives" differently?
KTRSD,

Henry S. Winokur, Treasurer
Retired MSF & Total Control Instructor
The problem is not high-performance motorcycles. It's low-performance riders...
Remember when sex was safe and motorcycles were dangerous?
henwin
Board Wizard

Postby STATMATT » Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:39 pm

Only a few more days!!!

Does anyone know where I can print a copy of the law. I'm invariably a cop-with-a-bad-attitude magnet. :lol:

STATMATT
STATMATT
Frequent Poster

Postby dcgsrider » Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:16 pm

STATMATT wrote:Only a few more days!!!

Does anyone know where I can print a copy of the law. I'm invariably a cop-with-a-bad-attitude magnet. :lol:

STATMATT

Matt, here you go:

http://lis.virginia.gov/cgi-bin/legp604 ... l+CHAP0007
Paul Wilson
Arlington, Va.
2009 R1200GS "Franz" Namibia Orange
IBA# 12143
KI4PW
dcgsrider
Board Guru

Postby STATMATT » Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:26 pm

So now that is is legal, My wife and I tend to use this on a daily basis. I didn't think much of it except the intersections, but there are a few more uses.
When merging into traffic I don't have to look for a space that will fit both bikes. I can merge in and then she can merge in beside me. Thick 'clutch-control' style traffic. We enjoy being side by side sharing in the misery of 4.5mph it also keeps people from cutting in between us which had happened on occaision. The other advantage is if we are both at a stop sign we can start together, hey that's two vehicles through in the queue of 12 cars. I'm sure they all appreciate it.

We do practice riding abreast at speed on the highway not because we need to, but because we can. (Can I say FREEDOM!) it is definitely a skill that we like and seeing others drive by looking at us like we did something illegal is a charm. If you don't ride together often, I don't recomend it, but we ride 70 miles together every day we also have comm systems to communicate our intentions to each other.

STATMATT
STATMATT
Frequent Poster

Previous

Return to Government Affairs