Helmet: Schuberth C3 vs. C3Pro

Products including farkle, clothing, helmets, heck even motorcycles that have been purchased and reviewed by bmwbmw.org members.

Helmet: Schuberth C3 vs. C3Pro

Postby ERC Scott » Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:45 pm

After seeing on Revzilla.com that the C3 Pro has a 2dB lower noise rating than the already quiet C3 (this is a significant reduction, if true) I am thinking of upgrading to the C3 Pro. Does anyone have experience in making the jump from C3 to C3 Pro? Have you found there is a noticeable drop in sound pressure levels? I buy almost all my gear at the local dealerships, but Revzilla offers hassle-free returns on goods that don't work out -- my assumption is that a half hour ride to determine helmet loudness will meet their return policy. I'm not aware of local dealers offering a trial ride for helmets or gear (for obvious reasons) but if I'm wrong, please let me know. I would much rather buy locally. Scott
2016 R1200RS
2005 R1200 GS
2015 1290 SuperDuke-R

You don't choose your life, you live it.
ERC Scott
Board Wizard

Re: Helmet: Schuberth C3 vs. C3Pro

Postby ERC Scott » Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:11 pm

Looking into Revzilla fine print (really not so fine - I didn't look hard enough) I see that it's OK to try a helmet on for size, but a test ride of said helmet is verboten. So I have to rely on you lot to verify their claim. Scott
2016 R1200RS
2005 R1200 GS
2015 1290 SuperDuke-R

ERC Scott
Board Wizard

Postby Adventurer » Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:31 pm

Well found my way back! (though membership never expired).

Can't really give you a comparison between C3 vs. C3Pro as I have only the Pro which I purchased for my cross country to the BMWMOA Rally last summer in Oregon. I previously had a Shoei 1100 and upgraded to the Pro....truly enjoy it.
Richard
'04 GS

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."

Albert Einstein
Adventurer

Postby Pilot » Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:28 pm

Christine and I both just upgraded to the pro from the C3... I can tell you it is lighter, and it is quieter. I can also tell you it's a bit more comfortable with a fully removable liner in this model. The inside visor is a bit shorter, which makes it easier to see your gauges md possibly gps if you have one, but it does take a bit of getting used to since the C3 shade lens was a bit longer or wider depending how you look at it.

We are both happy with our upgrade.
Pilot

IBA# 45949
2020 R1250 GSA Red/White/Blue
2013 K1600GT Dark Graphite (His (Gone))
2010 K1300GT Red (Hers (Gone))
Pilot

Postby ERC Scott » Thu May 01, 2014 9:45 am

Looks like I'm in good company. Thanks for the input! During a try-on it felt comfy and snug, so I took a chance and bought a C3Pro at a recent dealer's open house taking advantage of the OH discount. Went with racing red color for a change of pace - maybe not as conspicuous as previous high viz yellow, but not too bad in daylight according to a buddy riding well behind. At this early date, I find the C3Pro to be extremely quiet in the clear airstream of the F800R, and a notable improvement even from the C3. However, still trying to find a way to decrease the buffeting off the AdvR screen - looking at Givi. Once that is sorted out, I expect to see similar noise reduction on that bike too. One downside of the noise reduction when on the 800R is that I can "hear" my tinnitus when riding at highway speeds. The bright side of that downside (I hope) is that there will be less progression of hearing loss and tinnitus. One thing with tinnitus is that you're never "alone".
Scott
2016 R1200RS
2005 R1200 GS
2015 1290 SuperDuke-R

ERC Scott
Board Wizard

Postby adooley » Thu May 01, 2014 10:04 am

I concur with everyone's evaluation of the C3 Pro. I bought one recently at significant discount and was very pleased with its fit, compared with my Nolan 103. Rode home and half way, switched helmets. The C3Pro was quieter and felt lighter. The ventilation was also much better than the Nolan. Overall, I am pleased with the performance of the C3Pro as compared with my Nolan. On another note, if I had to pay full retail, I am not so sure it would have been worth it for an almost $800 helmet for me.
adooley

Return to Reviews