Desired Review Auxillary Lights

Products including farkle, clothing, helmets, heck even motorcycles that have been purchased and reviewed by bmwbmw.org members.

Desired Review Auxillary Lights

Postby STATMATT » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:12 pm

I've heard of this being the most important add on to any bike. I'm looking to add them to a F650 GS-single.
Anyone purchase a light that the really like?
Anyone have any stories about thier lights?
Anyone have a horror story with Customer Service on a brand of lights?
Anyone have thier lights for several years with no problems?

I know many have lights added onto their bikes, I want to get the most value for the buck, so durability and long term workability are important to me.

Thanks,

STATMATT
STATMATT
Frequent Poster

Re: Desired Review Auxillary Lights

Postby slvrblt » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:25 pm

I am currently running a set of the Denali D2 lights on my 2006 F650GS. At night with the high beam on and the lights at full bright it is like day in front of the bike. I ran a set of PIAA 510's with 35w bulbs for several years. The LED's put out more light and draw less power than one PIAA, which allows me to run the lights and my heated jacket at the same time.
Bruce
2006 F650 GS
2007 K1200 GT
slvrblt
Board Guru

Postby Chiba » Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:57 am

LEDs & HIDs are all the rage nowadays - and even I have to admit, after I put HIDs on my bike, the increased output over regular lights was pretty impressive. The cost goes way up, of course, but the old adage "you get what you pay for" applies in a lot of cases.

PIAA is kind of the industry standard as far as aftermarket lights go, but there's tons of additional choices.

If I was going to add aux lights, I'd be awful tempted to do whatever Jerry Skene advised me to - he's got a great set of LEDs on his K12RS with a controller he's selling that varies the output of any (non-HID) lights.
BMW MOA Digital News Editor www.bmwmoa.org
- 05 R1200GS - 98 K1200RS + Hannigan Classic sidecar -
Chiba
The FUNNY One

Postby ChaseH » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:30 am

Paging Jerry Skene...

I really like what Jerry recently mounted on his bike. I can't remember the brand, but they resemble the Clearwater lights, but he said at about 1/3 the price. Perhaps he can chime in with the name and a description of the wiring he performed which adds some features.
09 R1200 GS
14 S1000RR HP4

Scuba Travel & Motorcycle photos
http://chaseh.smugmug.com/
ChaseH
Where GS = Gone Skidding

Postby Motorhead » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:30 pm

Since it is a 650 there are two things you want to look for - size and power consumption. This should eliminate the HIDs.

In addition, if you (or your son) are planing on dropping the bike as much as I do, then build quality and durability are important as well.

I see that many people use the Denalis (http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/pr ... /5224/790/), and I am thinking of getting a kit myself.

I liked the Rigid Industries LEDs I put on my 1200GS so much, that I purchased one small version of them to try on my 650 Sertao. They are indestructible even for me, and are reasonably priced.

See photo of the 1200 LEDs + the small one from Rigid Industries: http://www.rigidindustries.com/product-p/90211.htm

Honestly I think the Denalis are a better fit, but I like to stir things up a bit :wink:

Here's a nice write up about the Denalis installed on an F800GS: http://www.webbikeworld.com/lights/denali-led-lights/
Attachments
90211-2.jpg
LEDS.jpg
I chose the amber version for visibility - they give less light than the bright white. On the Sertao I installed Jerry's Photon Blasters.
Not owning a BMW at the moment, but I do wear the BMWBMW decal proudly on my "other" bike :-)
Motorhead
Frequent Poster

Postby jskene » Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:43 pm

So far I've had good luck with the Model 60 LEDs from this reseller:

http://stores.intuitwebsites.com/hstria ... Detail.bok

I bought them from a different reseller, but they are the same lights. This reseller is in the US, while the one I bought them from was in China and may be difficult to deal with if there was a problem.

There's a long forum on these on ADVrider.com:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=607184

Of course I run them from one of my IQ-170 intelligent light controllers, so I can set the brightness to match conditions.
jskene
Board Guru

Postby STATMATT » Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:15 pm

I purchased from ADVMONSTER on July 11th.

ADVMonster Items
2 Black Model 44 LED off road flood light (heavy duty (+$10)) @ $81.00 = $162.00
1 Rotary LED Dimmer with High Beam Bypass @ $44.95 = $44.95
2 Waterproof Connector @ $4.05 = $8.10
2 Xpel Clear Light Protection @ $4.50 = $9.00
Sub-Total: $224.05
Shipping: $10.28 (Priority Mail)
Sales Tax: $0.00
ADVMonster Total: $234.33

Not bad. I got to the forum on ADVRider, BMWMOA, and F650.com. All seemed to say great things. I'm no electrician nor engineer. Does anyone know how to mount these things and wire them correctly. I think I'm giong to get the controller from Jerry. I like that conspicuous double flash part. I'll send the rotary dimmer back.

Thanks,

STATMATT
STATMATT
Frequent Poster

Postby DarrylKennedy » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:14 am

STATMATT wrote:I've heard of this being the most important add on to any bike. I'm looking to add them to a F650 GS-single.
Anyone purchase a
led light that the really like?
Anyone have any stories about thier lights?
Anyone have a horror story with Customer Service on a brand of lights?
Anyone have thier lights for several years with no problems?

I know many have lights added onto their bikes, I want to get the most value for the buck, so durability and long term workability are important to me.

Thanks,

STATMATT

Hello friend sorry for old thread reply but have you got the auxiliary lights for your bike? I am looking to get new lights so please help me with some suitable options..
DarrylKennedy

Postby STATMATT » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:40 am

Yes, these have been installed and functioning on my Wife's bike for over a year now. I am jealous that I don't have a set on my own bike, and If I didn't think my son was going to change bikes in a year I'd install a set on his.

As far as mounting I ended up buying a mount for a PIAA light set specifically made for the F650GS. I think I had to dremel out a few plastic pieces but it has worked brilliantly.

I used the controller from Jerry Skene and that double flicker thing rocks. If you see a potential left hand turner... double flick.. They notice you, doesn't mean they'll stop, but they notice and they are trying to figure out if you are Law enforcement or not!

Very well worth the money time and effort.
I did not instal the Waterproof connectors and because I lost one of the Clear light protection things I didn't install them either. I never returned the rotary dimmer as I used one from Jerry Skene instead.

Once again I love these lights!

Matt
STATMATT
Frequent Poster

Return to Reviews