Michelin PR3 Review

Products including farkle, clothing, helmets, heck even motorcycles that have been purchased and reviewed by bmwbmw.org members.

Re: Michelin PR3 Review

Postby bdimon » Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:08 pm

I don't know why Michelin does not put this information on their web site. I called them, 800-346-4098, and this is a summary of what they said.

Solo: Front 32 psi and rear 36 psi
Loaded: Front 36 psi and rear 42 psi

Michelin's representative said to use these pressures. There is also a version of the Pilot Road 3 with a "B" rating.
It means the sidewall is stiffer for two-up riding. Standard is for single riding. The load rating is the same but the stiffer sidewall will help the tire stay round when two-up. They will both last the same mileage.
Bruce Dimon
2020 F900XR
President :D
bdimon
Board Guru

Postby Unity » Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:54 pm

bdimon wrote:I don't know why Michelin does not put this information on their web site. I called them, 800-346-4098, and this is a summary of what they said.

Michelin's representative said to use these pressures. There is also a version of the Pilot Road 3 with a "B" rating.
It means the sidewall is stiffer for two-up riding. Standard is for single riding. The load rating is the same but the stiffer sidewall will help the tire stay round when two-up. They will both last the same mileage.

I think it also makes a difference whether you're Karen (Mrs Membership) or Chiba, for example. For the former, I'd say use the 32psi and 36psi recommendation. For the latter, a bit more, I think. Point is, there's no absolutely correct single recommendation for everybody. We should each do what makes sense to us, check ride, handling, and wear, and adjust if needed.

--John
(I observed that Nate used 18psi F and R on his old boxer S's, for max traction. Of course, he went through them really fast.)
2002 R1150RT, Silver
Silver, the "cool and aloof" color.
(Road & Track Vol. 56, No.2, p. 19)

1971 Triumph Bonneville, Gold
Gold, the "paying the restorer" color.
(Trust me.)
Unity
Shaman

Postby henwin » Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:43 pm

bdimon wrote:I don't know why Michelin does not put this information on their web site. I called them, 800-346-4098, and this is a summary of what they said.

Those pressures make a lot more sense to me. I think I'll let some air out of my tires, (maybe 34/40 or 36/40) and see how they do...I've always thought things were a bit harsh going over bumpy roads. :x Perhaps that's why :?: Though I've never thought a couple of pounds would make that much difference in either handling or ride quality. I have no idea what it would do to wear, though. The weight of the bike goes up and down significantly just by riding it and using fuel :!:
KTRSD,

Henry S. Winokur, Treasurer
Retired MSF & Total Control Instructor
The problem is not high-performance motorcycles. It's low-performance riders...
Remember when sex was safe and motorcycles were dangerous?
henwin
Board Wizard

Postby dgraling » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:43 pm

I run 39 on the front and 42 on the rear and try to check them frequently. I just swapped out a set of tires with 15,000 miles on them. I had a 2,000 mile trip coming up and knew I could not have gotten through the trip with those tires. If I had been doing local rides I may have kept them on longer. I really like the way the PR3's handle in all kinds of weather. I think I swap them 3 times this year and each time I kept getting the interval longer and longer.
Don Graling
Centreville, Virginia
2009 R1200RT
dgraling
Frequent Poster

Postby henwin » Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:44 pm

dgraling wrote:I run 39 on the front and 42 on the rear and try to check them frequently. I just swapped out a set of tires with 15,000 miles on them. I had a 2,000 mile trip coming up and knew I could not have gotten through the trip with those tires. If I had been doing local rides I may have kept them on longer. I really like the way the PR3's handle in all kinds of weather. I think I swap them 3 times this year and each time I kept getting the interval longer and longer.

What bike are you riding, Don? I've been running at 40/42, but lately I keep thinking I'm detecting a bit of slipage. Running a bit softer (down to 36/40, perhaps) would prevent that feeling, since they're not even close to worn out.
KTRSD,

henwin
Board Wizard

Postby dgraling » Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:47 pm

Bike is a 2009 R1200RT - I have not noticed any slippage at 39/42.
Don Graling
Centreville, Virginia
2009 R1200RT
dgraling
Frequent Poster

Postby henwin » Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:18 pm

dgraling wrote:Bike is a 2009 R1200RT - I have not noticed any slippage at 39/42.

Stupid me! It does say that on your sig, doesn't it? #-o :D
KTRSD,

henwin
Board Wizard

Previous

Return to Reviews