P3 Lights

Products including farkle, clothing, helmets, heck even motorcycles that have been purchased and reviewed by bmwbmw.org members.

P3 Lights

Postby Motorhead » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:02 pm

Sorry for opening another P3 topic, but the other one is locked, and I really think more people should buy these.

Recently I heard too many stories about fellow riders getting rear-ended, so I picked up a set of P3 lights at Bob's this Tuesday just before Jim Hyde's CDR presentation.

I was planning to install the lights over the weekend, but one look outside the window at the fog this morning changed my priorities... It took me under 20 minutes to install these, and I felt much better riding to work in the fog with the P3 lights installed!

The kit includes everything you could possibly need for the install (even black tie-wraps), and the tap connections are high-quality, so there's no need for soldering and tape! The instructions are clear and detailed, so almost anyone can do this.

Before I got the P3 lights I used to tap my breaks constantly before and during stops to flash my break lights. Now I don't have to worry about that, and in addition to the break lights I want to mention that the pulsating effect of the running lights is very effective, so you are being noticed from the back much better even without touching the breaks!

Many times I happen to ride behind several club members who have the P3 lights installed, and I must say that they are impossible to ignore.

You can get them from Jerry Skene (a fellow BMWBMW member) directly (http://www.lights.skenedesign.com/P3_Features.shtml) or from other local stores.

Thank you Mr. Skene for a great life-saving product!

Avner

The photo is showing the P3 lights installed and on. It looks as if the break light is on, but it is not - it is just the running lights. This is how bright they are! You can see a set of LEDs I had on the bike when I got it just below the bright P3 lights and see how dim the old LEDs are compared with the P3.
Attachments
P3 Lights on HelgaLR.jpg
Not owning a BMW at the moment, but I do wear the BMWBMW decal proudly on my "other" bike :-)
Motorhead
Frequent Poster

Re: P3 Lights

Postby Chiba » Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:40 pm

I have felt very comfortable ... well, more comfortable at any rate ... riding the last 2 mornings in the fog knowing my P3s have my back - literally.
BMW MOA Digital News Editor www.bmwmoa.org
- 05 R1200GS - 98 K1200RS + Hannigan Classic sidecar -
Chiba
The FUNNY One

Postby sati8d » Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:14 pm

+1 on the P3's - one of my very first purchases.
Smooth throttle and spirited twisties!

Tony
'09 R1200 GS Adv
...and the piggy's still saying: "whhhhiiiiiiii"
sati8d
Babies GS

Postby henwin » Sun May 27, 2012 7:12 pm

Motorhead wrote:Sorry for opening another P3 topic, but the other one is locked, and I really think more people should buy these. Recently I heard too many stories about fellow riders getting rear-ended, so I picked up a set of P3 lights at Bob's this Tuesday just before Jim Hyde's CDR presentation. Avner

The one thing I would remind you to do is check their operation. My experience is that MY P3 lights forget their settings from time to time and need to be reprogrammed. You should check the operation of yours from time to time, just in case. Jerry was kind enough to replace the controller--long after the warranty period expired--but that didn't help. I opted not to bother him again and just check the operation from time to time =D> and re-program when necessary.
KTRSD,

Henry S. Winokur, Treasurer
Retired MSF & Total Control Instructor
The problem is not high-performance motorcycles. It's low-performance riders...
Remember when sex was safe and motorcycles were dangerous?
henwin
Board Wizard

Postby ChaseH » Sun May 27, 2012 7:14 pm

I find the settings change when the rider grabs the front break immediately after turning on the electrics, which resets or changes the light's settings.
09 R1200 GS
14 S1000RR HP4

Scuba Travel & Motorcycle photos
http://chaseh.smugmug.com/
ChaseH
Where GS = Gone Skidding

Postby henwin » Sun May 27, 2012 7:28 pm

ChaseH wrote:I find the settings change when the rider grabs the front break immediately after turning on the electrics, which resets or changes the light's settings.

I'll check and see if that's the problem. Maybe it's me?
KTRSD,

henwin
Board Wizard

Postby Chiba » Tue May 29, 2012 8:03 am

ChaseH wrote:I find the settings change when the rider grabs the front break immediately after turning on the electrics, which resets or changes the light's settings.

I've found if you just grab the brake lever (don't pump it 2-3 times) then it won't change the settings.

The upside is even if it does change the settings, you're more than likely going to change it to just on - you won't get any blinks, but you'll still get the benefit of the way brighter LEDs when you hit the brakes.
BMW MOA Digital News Editor www.bmwmoa.org
- 05 R1200GS - 98 K1200RS + Hannigan Classic sidecar -
Chiba
The FUNNY One

Postby henwin » Tue May 29, 2012 8:25 am

But doing that shouldn't effect the settings...at least according to the directions. :? According to the directions you have to activate the brake many times in a short time frame to change the settings. Squeezing the brake once should do nothing to the settings...
KTRSD,

henwin
Board Wizard

Postby PhilAger » Wed May 30, 2012 8:48 pm

Speaking of P3 Lights (at the Spring Fling Rally)!

Here's a shot of our new Jerry Skene Photon Boosters mounted on our GS factory hand-guards. Karen's appear brighter here as they would when the turn signal is flashing OR if we hit the brake pedal Twice (quickly) to illuminate the warning feature to Dead-Heads thinking of turning left in front of us! Good Job Jerry on these snazzy Hi-Viz Safety Features! I think THEY'RE GREAT! as Tony the Tiger would say... =D>

Looking forward to seeing Ya'll at the 2012 Square Route Rally this weekend!

Ciao!
Phil & Karen

2010 F800GS,
2009 F650GS,
2009 Kawasaki KLX250S,
2008 Honda CRF230L, and
1975 R90S.
RIP, 2003 K1200LT w/129,124 mi.
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
“…And pray that there’s intelligent life somewhere up in space,
‘Cause there’s bugger all down here on Earth.” – Eric Idle’s The Galaxy Song
Check it out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23Dm7sQ1C1E&feature=related
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
PhilAger

Postby ERC Scott » Thu May 31, 2012 9:56 am

You used Jerry and dead-heads in the same paragraph. coool :lol:
I guess that dates me. Scott
2016 R1200RS
2005 R1200 GS
2015 1290 SuperDuke-R

You don't choose your life, you live it.
ERC Scott
Board Wizard

Postby ChaseH » Thu May 31, 2012 10:38 am

I wish I rode 15-20 years ago the way I do today. Would have made Dead tour a lot more fun.
09 R1200 GS
14 S1000RR HP4

Scuba Travel & Motorcycle photos
http://chaseh.smugmug.com/
ChaseH
Where GS = Gone Skidding

Postby ObiWan » Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:59 pm

First add-on I did on my bike. The stand-off distance increased in traffic immediately.

Pretty sure these saved me from being rear-ended in Tacoma, WA on June 8th.

Heavy traffic on I-5 south bound. Standard friday rush hour (speed up, slow down). I saw the slowdown ahead before the driver behind me. And I knew it. I was in the left lane and I had about 2 feet between the line and the t-wall. I was able to go left and the driver behind me could cheat to the right inside the lane.

A near miss for sure and I am nearly certain the driver behind me saw the P3s and reacted!
13 Ducati Multistrada GT
11 FZ6R (The Missus's)
06 K1200GT (didn't make it)
98 FXDL

"I feel more like I do now than when I got here"
ObiWan
Club Whiner

Return to Reviews