Motoport Air Mesh Kevlar over-pants/ Riva jacket

Products including farkle, clothing, helmets, heck even motorcycles that have been purchased and reviewed by bmwbmw.org members.

Motoport Air Mesh Kevlar over-pants/ Riva jacket

Postby mikel » Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:53 am

Motoport Air Mesh Kevlar over-pants (hi-viz, really it's green), and Air Mesh Riva jacket (hi-viz)

Motoport in California: http://www.motoport.com

Purchased May 2011

Very satisfied so far

I decided to make the move to high-quality gear. Mainly considered BMW, but almost none of the stuff I looked at fit me properly/comfortably; I am 5-11, 130lbs. After searching I eventually came across Motoport. I took all the measurements as described on their site, called, and Mr. Boyer himself talked through the measurements with me and asked for a couple more because of my size, or lack thereof. Motoport is very amenable to customization. For example, I asked him to keep all the pockets off of the jacket since my main goal is to get as much ventilation as possible. After several weeks I received the pants and jacket and couldn't believe how well they fit. I actually have gear that fits me! I keep the two pieces zipped together most of the time so it's like a one-piece. Easy in and out. Easy to wash. It's not hi-viz in the bright neon way, but it is an eye-catching color. Only thing is it faded somewhat even with using the fabric protector spray. To be fair, though, I rode around 15,000 miles in it through spring and summer, so I think anything would fade at least somewhat in that much sun. It's still at least a light color that attracts attention, which was the main goal. The mesh is very breathable in summer--no issues with that. The whole combo is very light. I went with the standard tri-armor since I wanted the lightest suit possible, and since the main thing I look for is preventing road rash. My impetus in getting this gear, by the way, came from watching a rider rolling along the pavement at 50 mph in nothing but a t-shirt and jeans. If I crash, I expect to break bones, regardless of the armor. Perhaps I will regret that approach, versus the quad-armor, but time will tell. Cost was around $1100 (directly comparable to high-end BMW gear), but given the advertised level of abrasion protection, the best guarantee in the business, and the fact that it was tailored to my exact body measurements, I think Motoport has the best value of any moto clothes. You should buy some now and be ready for spring and summer--and to support an American business. If you wait to order until early spring like I did, it could take close to two months. I should have ordered a lot more reflective on the front and arms so I wouldn't have to wear a reflective vest over the suit (an issue if you ever go on military posts/bases or the Pentagon reservation). But I learned for you, so get lots of reflective. I would order this again, and I plan to eventually order other Motoport Kevlar items.
mikel

Re: Motoport Air Mesh Kevlar over-pants/ Riva jacket

Postby ERC Scott » Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:42 am

Thanks for the succinct review. The custom sizing is a really nice feature for riders that have fit problems. I know a couple other riders who wear Motoport air mesh gear, and none of them have regretted the purchase other than the color fading. A fellow instructor bought a red air mesh, and his faded to a deep pink -- quite a contrast to his black Harley :lol: .

Scott
2016 R1200RS
2005 R1200 GS
2015 1290 SuperDuke-R

You don't choose your life, you live it.
ERC Scott
Board Wizard

Postby mikel » Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:02 pm

Regarding the reflective neon vest issue for military bases, it turns out that was never really a requirement, at least on Fort Belvoir (so maybe for all, but I don't know for sure). I guess it was selectively emphasized. Turns out the military (on Fort Belvoir, at least) can't turn riders (i.e. citizens, employees, contractors, tax payers) away from bases just because they aren't glowing or reflecting, but riders on Belvoir must still have long sleeve shirts, long pants, gloves, eye protection, etc. (all the basic MSF gear requirements for taking the class). There's still a few guys wearing the vests, but most stopped immediately after they got the memo. So next time I'm not worrying about hi-viz or reflective. Maybe just good ol' black--or gray. I don't think drivers take the hi-viz stuff seriously anyway having tried it now for a while...

But I'm still totally satisfied with the performance of the suit itself. I'm just getting really, really, really tired of hearing, "aren't you hot in that?" My answer now is just, "no." It's unfathomable to just about anyone that a person can be perfectly comfortable (or as comfortable as one can be in 100-degree-plus weather) in something that covers up skin, and no one is buying the "I'm more comfortable than you because the sun isn't hitting my skin" argument, so I stopped trying to sell that one. No one will believe that the Motoport air mesh is really mesh, that the air actually goes right through it, that I freeze in grocery stores or any place with a/c with it on, or that I need rain gear on below about 75 degrees (because then it gets too cold). It's actually kind of given me a complex... But the stuff really works as far as ventilation, or I wouldn't keep wearing it all the time.

It's great for winter too. Unless it's really cold, street clothes and rain gear on over the suit works just fine. The mesh is perfect for this since it lets the sweat escape from the skin before it gets trapped, which would make me wet and cold. I'm still deciding what my next set will be (other than NOT hi-viz...).
mikel

Postby STATMATT » Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:02 am

This is Army Specific.

The Army had some issues not too long ago with all of the bases having different criteria so the Rapid Action Revision was created. It was so bad that you could get onto fort Meyer wearing one thing, but when you got to Fort Meade or Fort Belvoir they wouldn't even let you on post. Mostly relating to the reflectivity requirement. So they made reflectivity an encouragement, not a requirement. It used to be when I pulled up to the gate, I'd have to show my ID card, my license, my MSF completion card for BRC and ERC, some would check for the DOT sticker on my helmet, it was asinine. Now I keep a reflective vest in my pannier as some base security isn't aware of the new changes and it isn't worth keeping a copy of the regulation with me.

Also at one time even contractors were required to have the MSF cards to get onto base, that has changed now and it is optional. However it is still available. Also dependents and retirees can take the training for FREE as noted below.

Cheers!
STATMATT

AR 385–10 • 23 August 2007/RAR 4 October 2011

Para 11-9. a. (5)-(8)
(5) Motorcycle riders who operate motorcycles on or off post must comply with the skills training, licensing, and
permit requirements of their state, HN, or SOFA.
(6) All civilian personnel or contracted laborers that are properly licensed to ride a motorcycle shall not be required
to receive service-sponsored training or to prove that they have taken other motorcycle training in order to operate a
motorcycle on a DOD installation.
(7) DOD civilians and authorized dependants may attend Army-provided training at no cost to the individual on
request. However, priority of training must be—
(a) Soldiers and other Servicemembers on Joint bases.
(b) Department of the Army civilians who request training.
(c) DOD civilians on Joint bases who request training.
(d) Authorized dependants.
(8) Retirees on a space available basis at no cost to the government.

Para 11-9 d.
d. Motorcycle and all-terrain vehicle rider protection. Commanders will ensure that all individuals covered by this
regulation and all persons at any time on an Army installation wear the following PPE while riding motorcycles and
ATVs. Commanders are highly discouraged from adding PPE requirements at the local level.
(1) Helmets.
(a) For personnel riding motorcycles and ATVs in the United States, helmets shall be certified to meet DOT Federal
Motor Vehicle Safety Standard No. 218, United Nations Economic Commission for Europe Standard 22–05, British
Standard 6658, or Snell Standard M2005 in accordance with DODI 6055.04, April 20, 2009, references (v), (w), (x),
and (y).
(b) For personnel riding motorcycles and ATVs outside the United States, helmets must meet the HN standards. In
those instances where the HN has no standard, helmets must, at a minimum, meet the DOT Federal Motor Vehicle
Safety standard.
(c) All helmets shall be properly fastened under the chin.
(2) Eye protection. Eye protection designed to meet or exceed ANSI Z87.1, reference (z) for impact and shatter
resistance includes goggles, wraparound glasses, or a full-face shield (properly attached to a helmet). A windshield or
fairing does not constitute eye protection.
(3) Foot protection. Foot protection includes sturdy over-the-ankle footwear that affords protection for the feet and
ankles (durable leather or ballistic-type cloth athletic shoes that cover the ankles may be worn).
(4) Protective clothing. Protective clothing includes long-sleeved shirt or jacket, long trousers, and full-fingered
gloves or mittens made from leather or other abrasion-resistant material. Motorcycle jackets and pants constructed of
abrasion-resistant materials such as leather, Kevlar®, or Cordura® and containing impact-absorbing padding are
strongly encouraged. Riders are encouraged to select PPE that incorporates fluorescent colors and retro-reflective
material.

Para 11-7 a. (5)-(6)
(5) Mandatory motorcycle training. Under the Progressive Motorcycle Program, all Soldiers who operate a motorcycle
are required to take the following motorcycle training:
(a) Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF) basic rider course (BRC) or Deputy Under Secretary of Defense (Installations
and Environment) DUSD(I&E)) endorsed, State-approved, curriculum for motorcycle operator’s safety training.
(b) Experienced rider course (ERC) or the MSF BRC II.
(c) Military sportbike riders course (MSRC).
(d) Motorcycle refresher training (MRT) for Soldiers deployed for more than 180 days.
(6) Motorcycle sustainment training. Based on the type of motorcycle owned or operated, Soldiers are required to
complete motorcycle sustainment training every 3 years, which consists of, at a minimum, retaking an ERC or the
MSRC. A Soldier can meet the sustainment training requirement, at no expense to the government, by taking an Army
approved advanced level motorcycle course. A list of courses meeting the criteria is located on the U.S. Army Combat
Readiness and Safety Center Web site, https://safety.army.mil
STATMATT
Frequent Poster

Postby sundaeman » Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:50 pm

I can finally weigh in on this one a bit. I'll keep it simple, a few years back... 15-20mph Ford F150 vs. me wearing a Motoport Hong Kong Jacket + less expensive over pants (convenience). Sore for a week or so on some upper body dings, several months of PT on my hip. The padding in the less expensive pants wasn't close to the Motoport pads, since things were fairly low speed abrasion resistance wasn't a big factor.

I've seen some gear that has been replaced by Motoport and heard the stories that went with it. The stuff rocks.
2006 R1200RT-P

"Who is John Galt?"
sundaeman
Unhappily Ranked

Return to Reviews