Helmet recommendation request

Products including farkle, clothing, helmets, heck even motorcycles that have been purchased and reviewed by bmwbmw.org members.

Helmet recommendation request

Postby Marius » Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:06 am

Has anybody transitioned from a modular (flip-up, I guess) helmet to a full face one?. I only had open face and flip-ups. My current HJC SY-Max is going into its 6th year and is supposed to be discarded after 5.

The reason I'm thinking to get a full face this time:
1. I use the current HJC almost only on the full face mode, I have an open face (AGV Blade) for urban / extreme hot weather
2. price *
3. weight

So, the questions: is it going to be a claustrophobic transition period? Am I going to miss the flexibility of, let's say, popping into a store for a quick purchase without taking off the helmet, or talking to a toll booths attendant, etc?

* Yes, I've heard that one should spend on the helmet proportionally to the value one puts on one's head. Nevertheless. $800+ Arai?

thanks for your input,

Marius
Marius

Re: Helmet recommendation request

Postby jmb122mp » Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:41 am

I've only used full face helmets but since you mentioned Arai's in the $800 range, I currently use an Arai Profile that I paid less than $500. Arai has discontinued the Profile and they are currently $380 at Revzilla. Don't know if its shape will fit your head but I found Revzilla's helmet fitting guide to be extremely useful. FYI.

Cheers,
Jim

'04 R1150R Rockster (Black/Orange)

"Don't Dude me". Dexter Morgan
jmb122mp

Postby Chiba » Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:33 am

I switch back & forth between a flip-front (Shoei Multitec) & a full-face (Shoei RF-1100). I don't notice that one is more or less claustrophobia-inducing than the other. The Multitec has a larger eye port and is a lot noisier - that's about the extent of the major differences I've noticed.

If HJC helmets fit my head properly, I'd use them. I bought one for my kid.
BMW MOA Digital News Editor www.bmwmoa.org
- 05 R1200GS - 98 K1200RS + Hannigan Classic sidecar -
Chiba
The FUNNY One

Postby Georgeinva » Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:31 pm

You might want to read some reviews from Motorcycle Consumer News. Price is a poor indicator of how much protection a helmet will give you. Some of the lower cost units do very well in the tests. Features like build in visors and quick release shields can add a lot to the price but do not offer any crash protection. Fancy paint is the best example of money for no addition protection.
I like Arai, they fit my head and have very clear visors. I have owned HJC, Bell, and others of all of them the Arai has by far the most plush liner the others feel like a burlap sack on your head.
Most importantly you need to buy a helmet that fits correctly. To this end I have never purchased a helmet online. Go to a dealer and try some on. When you find on that fits wear around the showroom for 30 min, sit on some bikes. Don't forget to bring and wear your jacket, some combos will have bunching issues at the back of the neck. When you find one that fits buy it, do not order a different color or go to Ebay, helmets are like shoes they are all slightly different.
Gridlock Motors
7155 Opal rd
Warrenton VA. 20186
(571) 318 2472
http://www.beemersuberalles.com
http://www.gridlockmotors.com/

"It needs to be about 20% cooler "
Georgeinva
Board Guru

Postby ERC Scott » Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:48 pm

I've used both modulars and full-face helmets over the years. Each has merits and detractions. Lots of good advice already -- glad you're diligent about replacement frequency. Scott
2016 R1200RS
2005 R1200 GS
2015 1290 SuperDuke-R

You don't choose your life, you live it.
ERC Scott
Board Wizard

Postby Unity » Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:48 pm

Georgeinva wrote:You might want to read some reviews from Motorcycle Consumer News. Price is a poor indicator of how much protection a helmet will give you. Some of the lower cost units do very well in the tests. Features like build in visors and quick release shields can add a lot to the price but do not offer any crash protection. Fancy paint is the best example of money for no addition protection.
I like Arai, they fit my head and have very clear visors. I have owned HJC, Bell, and others of all of them the Arai has by far the most plush liner the others feel like a burlap sack on your head.
Most importantly you need to buy a helmet that fits correctly. To this end I have never purchased a helmet online. Go to a dealer and try some on. When you find on that fits wear around the showroom for 30 min, sit on some bikes. Don't forget to bring and wear your jacket, some combos will have bunching issues at the back of the neck. When you find one that fits buy it, do not order a different color or go to Ebay, helmets are like shoes they are all slightly different.

Excellent advice, George.

--John
(Last week my daughter asked and I advised her the same way. Except the jacket part -- good tip!)
2002 R1150RT, Silver
Silver, the "cool and aloof" color.
(Road & Track Vol. 56, No.2, p. 19)

1971 Triumph Bonneville, Gold
Gold, the "paying the restorer" color.
(Trust me.)
Unity
Shaman

Return to Reviews