BMW Motorcycle Rider Training

Products including farkle, clothing, helmets, heck even motorcycles that have been purchased and reviewed by bmwbmw.org members.

BMW Motorcycle Rider Training

Postby Joints4sale » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:46 pm

I signed up for a two day off road class at the BMW Performance Center in Greer, SC a few months ago. Between then and the class I had a slow speed off playing around without proper gear on and twisted my ankle and knee, resulting in a bad sprain of the ankle and a meniscus tear in the knee. Despite my injuries I didn't cancel, but tried to heal up before hand. I was probably %80 when I attended the class. I wish I would have been in better shape. Enough about me being out of shape :lol: and on to the review.....

OH MY GAHD....... I had such a blast and am astounded with the amount of information/training that was provided. I signed up for the class on a GSA and am amazed at what that huge bike is capable of as long as you learn how. The instructors are absolutely top notch as are the facilities and the equipment. =D> If you ever have the opportunity to attend this class do it in a heartbeat. One piece of advise is to come well rested, I was absolutely beat at the end of each day.
Joints4sale

Re: BMW Motorcycle Rider Training

Postby ChaseH » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:26 pm

I too had a great time (last September). The advice I would give is 1. Bring a camelback. Especially if there during the warm months. Mine was envied and it can get really hot there. Although they do provide water and sports drinks during breaks. 2. Again heat related, bring some mesh motocross armor. This was also key, as it was in the high 90s and humid. I don't know if I could have made it if I was wearing a full riding jackets and JEANS like other were!

The class for me was a blast and made me a better all around ride. The gravel pit kicked my ass though.
09 R1200 GS
14 S1000RR HP4

Scuba Travel & Motorcycle photos
http://chaseh.smugmug.com/
ChaseH
Where GS = Gone Skidding

Postby stevebmw » Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:07 pm

I would agree fully with these assessments of the off-road school. I led the first dealer group ever through there in November 2007, and we did the one day school. It was great fun and very informational for all of us. My group ranged in off-road experience from none (not even a gravel road) to experienced hare scramble riders. All of us learned something that day. I certainly gained a lot of confidence taking an R 1200 GS through that course. I'd recommend it to anyone.

My write-up is at http://www.mortonsbmw.com/offroad.html
Steve Anderson
2002 R1150GS
Morton's BMW Motorcycles
Your HQ for GS fun!
Fredericksburg, Virginia
540-891-9844
steve@mortonsbmw.com
http://www.mortonsbmw.com
stevebmw
Board Viking

Postby anoop » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:31 pm

What tire pressure were you running off road (compared to the street) ?
Thx.
anoop

Postby stevebmw » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:45 pm

anoop wrote:What tire pressure were you running off road (compared to the street) ?
Thx.

I think it was around 20-24 lbs in the front and 25-28 lbs in the back. I didn't check them at the time, but that should be pretty close.
Steve Anderson
2002 R1150GS
Morton's BMW Motorcycles
Your HQ for GS fun!
Fredericksburg, Virginia
540-891-9844
steve@mortonsbmw.com
stevebmw
Board Viking

Postby Motorhead » Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:49 pm

Great write-up Steve! Based on everyone's reviews I signed up for the September 24-25 class. I'm planning on riding down to Greer from MD on Friday September 23, and I'd love to ride with company in case there are others.
Please let me know - thanks.
Not owning a BMW at the moment, but I do wear the BMWBMW decal proudly on my "other" bike :-)
Motorhead
Frequent Poster

Postby stevebmw » Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:03 pm

Awesome! I think you'll have a great time. After you take the class, make sure you put your skills to use by joining us on some of our GS rides and weekend outings!
Steve Anderson
2002 R1150GS
Morton's BMW Motorcycles
Your HQ for GS fun!
Fredericksburg, Virginia
540-891-9844
steve@mortonsbmw.com
stevebmw
Board Viking

Postby anoop » Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:08 pm

I'm looking to go at the end of October, if anyone wants to come with....
anoop

Return to Reviews