NOLAN N103

Products including farkle, clothing, helmets, heck even motorcycles that have been purchased and reviewed by bmwbmw.org members.

NOLAN N103

Postby IAMBOB » Wed May 05, 2010 4:00 pm

While coming back from Arlington I stop at a stop light and lift the front of the helmet to "air out", when I locked it back in place I noticed the visor wasn't shut, and wasn't even CLOSE to shutting. While trying to get the visor shut I noticed that the helmet clicked like it was locked, but something didn't feel or sound right (much more wind noise and lot more wind on my face than norm). Next stop light I check and the right side of the helmet is all discombobulated (technical term, I'll try to dumb it down)... come to find out one of the screws that holds the front of the helmet on was gone.

Forced the helmet closed and rode the rest of the way home without the nicety of being able to flip up the front.

Upon further inspection (luckily I have a Nolan N103 for my daughter so I stole a screw out of her helmet) of the 4 screws one was GONE, and one was very close to falling out, maybe a 1/2 turn away from being lost, and the other two were very loose.

Considering this a safety issue as one screw may or may not effect the integrity of the helmet, but two? If the helmet struck pavement I'm thinking the front of the helmet would have gone one way, my head and face the other.
2009 R1200RT (Da Wasp)
2002 R1150RS SILVIA (sold)
2006 John Deere 2305
IAMBOB
Board Wizard

Re: NOLAN N103

Postby Unity » Wed May 05, 2010 7:28 pm

Try on a Shoei Multitec. Functional, comfortable, and strong.

--John
(I hope they're strong -- sure seem to be. Jody and I wear them and like them way more than the Nolans we used to wear.)
2002 R1150RT, Silver
Silver, the "cool and aloof" color.
(Road & Track Vol. 56, No.2, p. 19)

1971 Triumph Bonneville, Gold
Gold, the "paying the restorer" color.
(Trust me.)
Unity
Shaman

Postby JimVonBaden » Wed May 05, 2010 8:11 pm

I had the 102 and 101 and never an issue. Have you ever taken it apart?

Jim :brow
JimVonBaden
Smooth Motorcycle Operator

Postby IAMBOB » Thu May 06, 2010 12:22 pm

JimVonBaden wrote:I had the 102 and 101 and never an issue. Have you ever taken it apart?

Never, and much different design from the 101 and 102. Bolts are external (four each) that hold the chin bar to the helmet. Apparently they vibrate loose over time.. Never thought I'd have to torque spec a helmet, and first time I've ever had a bolt, screw or nut come loose on a helmet.
2009 R1200RT (Da Wasp)
2002 R1150RS SILVIA (sold)
2006 John Deere 2305
IAMBOB
Board Wizard

Postby JimVonBaden » Thu May 06, 2010 2:04 pm

Sounds like they need blue locktite on the screws!

IAMBOB wrote:
JimVonBaden wrote:I had the 102 and 101 and never an issue. Have you ever taken it apart?

Never, and much different design from the 101 and 102. Bolts are external (four each) that hold the chin bar to the helmet. Apparently they vibrate loose over time.. Never thought I'd have to torque spec a helmet, and first time I've ever had a bolt, screw or nut come loose on a helmet.
JimVonBaden
Smooth Motorcycle Operator

Postby ZM73 » Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:51 pm

Just purchased one of these new at a around 50% off to replace a junky TMS modular off eBay. I'm surprised at how quickly it got fogged up without the pinlock secondary visor, but even with it installed it tends to get overwhelmed after an hour of slow maneuvers with condensation forming on the edges...
ZM73

Postby patrick1moon » Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:17 am

Me and my wife both have n103's and she lost one of her screws just the other day. These screws are not available for private purchase. We had to call CIMA (The NOLAN rep for USA) and they sent us a new screw and washer for free. It is pre dabbed with Blue lock-tight. I will make sure to check and lock-tight all of the other screws on her helmet as well as mine.

We found several posts on several other boards of people having the same problem. NOLAN was at first requesting people to send them their helment for testing/inspection but I guess they just sent people the screw now. I don't know why they went to the exposed screw design as compared with the N102 where no fasteners are visible.

I really like my NOLAN helmet and as any good company they are at least standing behind the product and correcting the problem at no charge. Now as far as Safety... I don't know. I hope to not find out how well it holds up in a get-off.
2010 Red Low Frame R1200GS
2013 Red Honda CRF250L
patrick1moon
Frequent Poster

Postby adooley » Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:24 am

That is very interesting. I had a Nolan 102 and now a N103 and never had any issues with the screws coming loose. Based on what happened to Bob, I will go and check my helmet for any loose screws. I don't really see this as a deal-breaker with Nolan. Just, maybe, a design flaw that can be easily corrected. I really have enjoyed my Nolan N103. Although, I would like to get my hands on one of the new Schuberth's to see what they are like. :D
adooley

Return to Reviews