My Bike

Stop and smell the roses, and while you're at it take a picture or two.

My Bike

Postby MrE » Thu Nov 18, 2004 10:41 am

This is a thread where people can post pics of themselves and their bikes. What I would like (for starters at least) is to keep it to one or two pics per person and not have a whole bunch of discussion in this thread. In other words, I would prefer that each post not get 15 or 20 "Nice bike" posts. Make sense? If not, post a complaint in the general thread and we'll make mods to this policy as needed.
Last edited by MrE on Thu Nov 18, 2004 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane.
Mark Twain,
MrE
Adventurer Wannabe

Postby MrE » Thu Nov 18, 2004 10:43 am

I'll start. 1999 R1100 GS. Pretty much stock except for my Hella Optilux Model 2020 driving/fog lights on homemade light bar.
(look, I have hair in this pic!!!)

ADV-Rider salute.
The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane.
Mark Twain,
MrE
Adventurer Wannabe

Postby DogHouse » Thu Nov 18, 2004 11:08 am

My 1990 K100LT. I guess it's stock. I bought it used and I have no idea what if anything has been done to it

Last edited by DogHouse on Tue Jan 18, 2005 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DogHouse
What? Again? Oy

Postby JimVonBaden » Thu Nov 18, 2004 11:38 am

Mike, that first picture is how old? :lol: I know you didn't actually wash your bike, and you have hair! :D

Nice bike Rick! I love the older K bikes.

My R1100RS.

On the BRP!

Come on everyone, show your stuff!

Jim 8)
JimVonBaden
Smooth Motorcycle Operator

Postby dc2028 » Thu Nov 18, 2004 6:21 pm

Let's see if I figured this out...

one mo time...

Ok, there she is. Stock '97 except for the valve guards, Corbin seat, friction throttle lock, spongy grip thingees, and custom pinstriping. I may explore removing the pinstriping...not sure yet. Thoughts?

First upgrades may include exhaust, shocks, windscreen, brake lines, heated grips. Anyone have experience with replacing wheels? I like the post-2002 5-spoke variety. Any other thoughts on customization/upgrades? This is my first BMW so I'm suffering a bit from the kid in the candystore syndrome.

Will
dc2028

Postby Unity » Thu Nov 18, 2004 9:47 pm

dc2028 wrote:I may explore removing the pinstriping...not sure yet. Thoughts?

If your pinstripes are paint laid on by hand with a sword brush, it would probably take serious violence to remove 'em and you'd be looking at repainting the bike. Unless the striping is inexpertly done or otherwise unattractive, I'd say enjoy it -- custom handwork is cool! :D

--John 8)
2002 R1150RT, Silver
Silver, the "cool and aloof" color.
(Road & Track Vol. 56, No.2, p. 19)

1971 Triumph Bonneville, Gold
Gold, the "paying the restorer" color.
(Trust me.)
Unity
Shaman

Postby JimVonBaden » Thu Nov 18, 2004 11:25 pm

Ok, there she is. Stock '97 except for the valve guards, Corbin seat, friction throttle lock, spongy grip thingees, and custom pinstriping. I may explore removing the pinstriping...not sure yet. Thoughts?

First upgrades may include exhaust, shocks, windscreen, brake lines, heated grips. Anyone have experience with replacing wheels? I like the post-2002 5-spoke variety. Any other thoughts on customization/upgrades? This is my first BMW so I'm suffering a bit from the kid in the candystore syndrome.

Sweet bike Will!

ImageDon't take this to your bike yet! LOL

Exhaust-If you are looking for a power boost you can't beat stock. If you are looking for a better sound, I have a used Laser with cat eliminator for $200, they run about $700. Otherwise the stock exhast is quiet and makes the best power.

Shocks-Your best investment! There are several vendors with good shocks, but the best by far is Ohlins. That is what I and many RS guys have. The price for all aftermarket shocks range from $800-1400.

Windscreen-You already have an aftermarket, my guess is Aeroflow. Great for winter, but get a stocker for summer. You will need the airflow.

Brake Lines-Not much help on an ABS bike. The brakes are great already. However, if the old lines need changing, go for the stainless.

Heated Grips-Definitely, the sooner the better. About $250 for the kit.

Wheels-Anton has done this, and while it isn't hard, it isn't cheap either. Figure near $1K for the wheels and parts, used.

Best upgrade after the heated grips, since you have a seat, GPS! :lol:

We should get together soon. I went through what you did about 9 months ago, and I may be able to help. I would certainly love to show you how to do your own maintenance, and save $25-350 for a 6K service.

Jim 8)
JimVonBaden@comcast.net
JimVonBaden

Postby dc2028 » Fri Nov 19, 2004 9:21 am

Thanks Jim,
I'm definitely interested in learning how to maintain the bike and it's due for the 18k service anyway.

What are you doing tomorrow :wink: ?
dc2028

Postby JimVonBaden » Fri Nov 19, 2004 11:27 am

dc2028 wrote:Thanks Jim,
I'm definitely interested in learning how to maintain the bike and it's due for the 18k service anyway.

What are you doing tomorrow :wink: ?

Wide open for the next 10 days! :lol:

Jim 8)
JimVonBaden

Postby Ken-WVHills » Wed Dec 08, 2004 9:11 am

Hans, the little pig, and me at Dolly Sods Wilderness Area, Grant County, WV

Bear (aka: big pig, bus, other expletives) at Spruce Knob, WV's Highest Point

Ken-WVHills

Postby Kres » Wed Dec 08, 2004 11:26 am

Ken-WVHills wrote:Hans, the little pig, and me at Dolly Sods Wilderness Area, Grant County, WV... {F650GS}

Bear (aka: big pig, bus, other expletives) at Spruce Knob, WV's Highest Point... {1150GS}

I was soooooooooo close to getting the base F650GS in "yeller" - It's sharp lookn.

I'll have to team up with ya in them-thar hills. I loved hiking and camp'n around the Sod's and Seneca. (Spent a really cold night or two on Spruce Knob as well... that mountain is trying to kill me)

Welcome to the group.
-Kres
Kres
My other bike is a station wagon

Postby Ken-WVHills » Wed Dec 08, 2004 2:31 pm

Thanks for the welcome, Kres. I'm generally willing and usually able to ride most weekends, weather permitting. Sunday is my 'domestically' agreed upon ride day, but that's always up for discussion .

I ride solo almost all the time so I would enjoy meeting and riding with one or two other folks. I've only ridden in one group ride and it didn't really impress me much.

[fixed by mike]
Ken-WVHills

Postby The Dude! » Wed Dec 08, 2004 9:04 pm

If you fella's don't mind a tag-a-long I love camping, motorcycles, and am looking for some places within a few hours ride where camping is not parking the RV somewhere else for the night.
The Dude!

Steve's '95 R1100GS & Ken's '02 R1150GS, GW Natl Forest,

Postby Ken-WVHills » Sat Jan 15, 2005 11:28 am

Steve's bike might look a little familiar, too. It came into his hands via Bob's last year.
Ken-WVHills

Kres and the Dakar

Postby Kres » Wed Jan 19, 2005 2:02 am

Awww... I match my bike. :-)

It's like 16 degree's out in this shot, but the still steaming Gerbing and the Fieldsheer Highlander are keeping me toasty.
-Kres
Kres
My other bike is a station wagon

Next

Return to Impressions