Spring Colors: A Challenge, show us your best shots

Stop and smell the roses, and while you're at it take a picture or two.

Spring Colors: A Challenge, show us your best shots

Postby RocketMan » Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:34 pm

These were all taken on my way home in the space of an hour or so except the last few. Since many of the colors will fade quickly I propose the first BMWBMW Photo Challenge entitled:

A Spring Challenge: Show us Your Colors

I saw around a dozen different colors or shades in the space of an hour and half and I wasn't even trying, how many can you find and shoot before they fade?
Here’s mine.

And just to make if more fair I took all these (except the last 4) with my little Sony Compact digicam not the Nikon D80, so no one should feel intimidated! :lol:
Remember its the photographer, not the camera, that makes the shot!

Image Image

RM
Fromerly MR. MonkeyButt now Mr. Breezy-Butt!
http://roadrunes.com

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts" - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

"I think you're a NUT!"- Tina
RocketMan
Board Wizard

Postby RocketMan » Sun Apr 01, 2007 6:13 pm

Well I see my atempt to generate some interest in starting an informal photo challenge going in hopes of inspiring others to share some spring-time is a-coming pictures, went over like a lead ballon!

I thought it might be fun to start an very informal version of the challenges they have on Dgrin...different subjects as suggested by different folks, based on events or things that surround us in our daily passage thru life on two wheels (or off for that matter)

Oh well.....

RM

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts" - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

RocketMan
Board Wizard

Postby JimVonBaden » Sun Apr 01, 2007 6:24 pm

Great pictures Jeff, and now that I am done with my DVD I will be doing some more riding! :D

So, pics to come!

Jim 8)
JimVonBaden
Smooth Motorcycle Operator

Postby RocketMan » Sun Apr 01, 2007 8:01 pm

JimVonBaden wrote:Great pictures Jeff, and now that I am done with my DVD I will be doing some more riding! :D

So, pics to come!

Jim 8)

excuses, excuses! :P :P

Took a nice little trip down to Dillwyn this weekend (you all have heard of Dillwyn, right? :lol: ) for the adapted in-laws 60 wedding aniversry party. Kinda gray both days but managed to stay out of any rain and cool weather riding does have it's rewards. around 140 miles each way thru some nice horse country in parts. of course tomorrow has to be 80 and sunny! maybe I'll play hookie.....

RM

RocketMan
Board Wizard

Postby Newzpix » Mon Apr 02, 2007 1:07 pm

edit
Last edited by Newzpix on Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Newzpix

Postby bigwillys » Mon Apr 02, 2007 4:45 pm

bigwillys

Postby RocketMan » Mon Apr 02, 2007 4:47 pm

Newzpix wrote:Who needs color?

While I suspect this is more of a rhetorical question I rise to the bait anyway..:lol:

As to shot, it is certainly a very nice shot and it does show the flowers on the tree nicely, but does it say “spring” as much as the same shot in color? To me, not so much and besides the theme was the colors of spring not simply the form of spring which this shot seems more geared to…

You could always start a B&W of spring challenge and see if anyone rises to the occation, I certainly didn’t seem to have much luck with my idea,

As to who “needs” color…

Well, since you asked... :lol:

While I could go into a long dissertation as to the many advantages of seeing in color suffice it to say that since most higher forms of life have evolved the ability to see color, I'd have to say there seems to be a definite advantage to the ability to see in color, we use it constantly in our daily lives, it helps us tell good fruit from bad, when to pick the crops, when the meat on the grill is done, and so on and so on.

Not withstanding that for me spring is all about the emerging colors, its the primary clue, if you will, the speaks of the change from winter to spring. Certainly B&W studies have their own unique challenges, I see that as perhaps more appropriate to a fall foliage challenge where form and function would be the main theme of the photos, the leaves piling on the ground, the now bare branches casting their patterns against a stark gray sky, etc etc.

Back in the day when I did a lot of dark room work processing my own photos and doing enlargements I worked mostly in B&W not only because of the cost savings but because of time saving factor, but now with digital working in color is not any more expensive, at least as it remains digital and you are not printing large volumes of photos.

So to answer your question , you need color, I need color, and personally I think the world would be much duller place without it.

Besides, I choose the theme so I can make it anything I want to! :D

RM

RocketMan
Board Wizard

Postby Newzpix » Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:25 am

edit
Last edited by Newzpix on Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Newzpix

Postby JimVonBaden » Tue Apr 03, 2007 3:56 pm

Newzpix wrote:Whatever dude. I was trying to contribute my vision to your thread.

And I don't need a lecture from you. I was a fine art photography major in college, have been a photojournalist for 28 years and an instructor at the Corcoran College of Art + Design. We could discuss this all day and I'd still would say 'who need's color' when I posted the above B/W photo.

I don't need to know you've dipped your hands in Dektol to understand your mindset. You said enough :roll:

Given the poor response to this thread, I thought you would have welcomed my participation. Perhaps I should have left out my color statement.

This is the second time you have attacked me in a forum. There's an old saying that I feel is appropriate for you; "you will catch more bees with honey than with vinegar."

Since I don't want to violate the rules of your thread. Here's an orchid photo.

Hey Cliff,

Knowing Jeff as I do, I strongly suspect he was not attacking you, just playing along with a little debate.

He is a very nice, and gennerally inoffensive guy, and I am sure he respects your skills and knowledge as a professional.

Jim 8)
JimVonBaden

Postby BKling » Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:57 pm

Here's couple. some at home and a few downtown, you know, the tourist cherry blossom thingy.

Bryant

In Case of Emergency - OPEN HEAD - USE BRAIN
BKling
Board Wizard

Postby JimVonBaden » Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:14 pm

Very nice Bryant!

Jim 8)
JimVonBaden

Postby BchrisL » Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:55 pm

A couple of cliché cherry blossom shots:

BchrisL

Postby RocketMan » Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:30 pm

now we're rolling! Keep 'em coming, spring is almost over, I've noticed that trees from a week ago that were in full bloom are now already pask their peak and fading although even the combination of green showing the through adds to the effect.

RM

RocketMan
Board Wizard

Postby RocketMan » Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:37 pm

BKling wrote:Here's couple. some at home and a few downtown, you know, the tourist cherry blossom thingy.

Ha Ha! That deffinately say Spring in DC fer sure! :lol: when the street folks are getting out and about and taking their homes with them.

RM

RocketMan
Board Wizard

Postby Ben_Ricci » Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:40 pm

RocketMan wrote:now we're rolling! Keep 'em coming, spring is almost over, I've noticed that trees from a week ago that were in full bloom are now already pask their peak and fading although even the combination of green showing the through adds to the effect.

RM

We aren't blooming in southern PA yet! :lol: We're just at the beginning of spring. I'll join the fun when the blossoms are ready to participate. Cool thread concept and nice shots so far.
Ben_Ricci

Next

Return to Impressions