impressions of small bikes from a big bike rider

Stop and smell the roses, and while you're at it take a picture or two.

impressions of small bikes from a big bike rider

Postby grownup » Sat Dec 28, 2013 2:07 pm

The other day I took my R1200 GS in for an annual at Bob's. Since Bob's has a loaner program, I always take a loaner.

So far, I have mostly riden the R1200 loaners. It seems with BMW most of the big bikes feel the same.
So, this time I wanted to change it up. I was torn between taking the scooter or the G650 GS.

Since I was toying with the idea of getting a smaller bike, I borrowed the G650 GS for my loaner.
Although I didn't have an opportunity to take the bike offroad, I found the bike a little terrifying on the road.

How can people ride small bikes on the highways ?

Compared to a R1200 GS, the BMW G650GS seems to accelerate very slowly. The bike gets toused around in the wind.
And, you get a lot of turbulance from other vehicles. On the loaner BMW G650 my knee's felt as if they were up too high.
My preception of speed seemed distorted. For example, I thought I was flying down 295,
but I look down to see the spedo only reading 50MPH.
Ted
2002 R1150-RTP
2013 R1200 GSA
2016 S1000 XR ( 1 BTC Bike )
grownup

Re: impressions of small bikes from a big bike rider

Postby Chiba » Sat Dec 28, 2013 5:27 pm

grownup wrote:My preception of speed seemed distorted. For example, I thought I was flying down 295,
but I look down to see the spedo only reading 50MPH.

I think that's where the old adage about riding a slow bike fast is preferable to riding a fast bike slow. Sounds like it was an interesting experience!
BMW MOA Digital News Editor www.bmwmoa.org
- 05 R1200GS - 98 K1200RS + Hannigan Classic sidecar -
Chiba
The FUNNY One

Postby ERC Scott » Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:10 pm

It is amazing the variation in "feeling" that bikes can effect. For me the sweet spot is under 500lbs and with sufficient torque to make a rapid pass. My F800 easily meets those criteria as long as you keep the rpm above 5000. Riding below 5000, it feels a little sedate, which is wonderful for in-town riding but not on the roads. As for interstate/multi-lane roads, I try to avoid them as much as possible regardless of the bike.
2016 R1200RS
2005 R1200 GS
2015 1290 SuperDuke-R

You don't choose your life, you live it.
ERC Scott
Board Wizard

Postby RocketMan » Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:57 pm

650, small?? When I saw the title I thought you meant small as in really Small, but heck a 650 is what I had in mind.Mid-weight prehaps but small? Nope.. i have a 700 IT700V which has never felt small to me but i supose its all realative....
Now if you want to talk about Small....

This is Small...

Ha Ha!

RM
Fromerly MR. MonkeyButt now Mr. Breezy-Butt!
http://roadrunes.com

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts" - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

"I think you're a NUT!"- Tina
RocketMan
Board Wizard

Postby BKling » Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:53 pm

RocketMan wrote:650, small?? When I saw the title I thought you meant small as in really Small, but heck a 650 is what I had in mind.Mid-weight prehaps but small? Nope.. i have a 700 IT700V which has never felt small to me but i supose its all realative....
Now if you want to talk about Small....

This is Small...

Ha Ha!

RM

Maybe you should change your ID to Pop Bottle RocketMan. =D>
Bryant

In Case of Emergency - OPEN HEAD - USE BRAIN
BKling
Board Wizard

Return to Impressions