The Mini-vacation from Hell

Stop and smell the roses, and while you're at it take a picture or two.

The Mini-vacation from Hell

Postby RocketMan » Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:05 pm

Jeanne and I decided to use up some time-share points that were due to expire with a trip to Ocean City for 5 days/four night mini-vacation since we hadn't done much this year. We stayed all of two nights before deciding this was just not working out!
The trip down Sunday went well, no traffic tie-ups at the bridge and we were there in 3 and half hours. The location of the time-share unit was nice enough, north end of the city on the bay side right on the marsh but that's about all that was nice about the unit or the building. We decided that this place must have been recently bought by the time share company and most likely had be closed for time prior. The room was so musty that we couldn't keep the AC on, luckily the weather was decent last weekend so having the deck doors open and the ceiling fan going keep the room comfortable. One of the maids admitted they had had to have the duct work vacuumed out prior to re-opening but it was still pretty bad. Plus there was moldy spots on the ceiling and one door on the kitchenette pantry was falling off the several out appliances were slowly pulling the mounting hardware out of the wall. After two days Jeanne's allergies really kicked in and between that and the sinus problems and headaches I been having of recent drove us to decide to head home after the second night. We'll never be staying at that unit again!

But all was not lost, we did get to have a few nice meals by the water on the bay side, walked the boardwalk and watched the characters and performing arts do there thing, some better than others!
One young girl was dressed in a dog suit with a bucket asking for “tips to help with college” she didn't do anything of note just stood there in the dog outfit. Don't think she had much in the tip bucket, Duh!

Saw a blue man and a artist doing some cool paintings using just cans of spray paint. But with the head congestion my balance was off and walking any distance quite the challenge! On the last day we did drive down to the island to see the ponies and walked around a bit looking at the marshland habitat so the trip wasn't a total loss. But it sure could have been better!
Anyway's here's a selection of shots from the trip.

Oh, yeah forgot to add that they decided to close the Bay bridge on Tues, when we were heading back due to reports by the painters working on it of higher than normal swaying, so we sat in traffic for an hour till it reopened at noon. then Wed. I broke out a rash of hives from exposure to poison ivy, probably from when we were walking around island of Assateague, though it cleared up in a day. And when I went to move my car Tuesday when we got back, the battery was dead stone cold! And just to top off a glorious week, Thursday I went in to have Balloon Sinoplasty done on my left sinus to try to relive the pressure they think may have been causing my headaches, so I spent the rest of the day bleeding out my left nostril like a stuck pig! The jury is still out if that will clear up my problems of late.

Anyone what to trade realities??

Enjoy.

a rather elaborate sand sculpture

like the shirt!

I added some of the birds myself

the birds sitting on the back of the pony eat bugs and ticks so the pony's don't seem to mind them riding along.

you may have to zoom out some since this last one is a pano of three shots taken of the bay side on the island.

RM
Fromerly MR. MonkeyButt now Mr. Breezy-Butt!
http://roadrunes.com

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts" - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

"I think you're a NUT!"- Tina
RocketMan
Board Wizard

Re: The Mini-vacation from Hell

Postby Unity » Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:52 pm

It's a shame about your miserable stay (or leave, I guess), but you did find some unusual photo subjects! :shock:

--John
2002 R1150RT, Silver
Silver, the "cool and aloof" color.
(Road & Track Vol. 56, No.2, p. 19)

1971 Triumph Bonneville, Gold
Gold, the "paying the restorer" color.
(Trust me.)
Unity
Shaman

Postby Flash! » Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:15 pm

I'm sorry, Jeff, but your "vacation from hell" had me laughing in disbelief--at least until I got to the part about the surgery. Then it ceased to be funny. :( I hope you're feeling much better by now and that your congestion and balance problems get better quickly. Thanks for the cool photos.

Jody
You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to
skydive twice.

2012 F650GS, Yellow and Black
Flash!
Board Guru

Postby BMWGirl » Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:53 am

Jeff - always look on the bright side - I don't think the vacation caused your surgery and you had a pleasant time if it wasn't for the smell - at least your vehicle didn't break down like 2 other members while they were 2000+ miles away from home!! Things could always be worse. I hope you were sitting in your AC of your car while the bridge was closed and not in full gear on the motorcycles. :D

Good luck with the nose thing, hopefully it clears up your headaches!! Get well and try another vacation.
:mrgreen:
BECAUSE I CAN!!!
IBA #37898 - IBR - 2017 IBA #565 Woohoo

2015 R1200GSA white w/PURPLE :-)
'10 K1300GT
'05 R1200ST

"Riding is about having an adventure - you just go with it and No Whining!" Kermit
BMWGirl
GO COWBOYS!

Postby Rick F. » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:06 pm

RM,

Fun photos! Sorry about your sinus issues--I hope things are better now.

As for your pictures, this one was breathtaking:

As for this one, however, you should be ashamed of yourself! I mean, the blatant exploitation of girls in bikinis, just to popularize your posting... Some nerve! [-X

In fact, to quote from my own most recent Trip Report, "Wait a minute, how did this scenic photo get here?? Image "
Image.

:D

Rick
For all my tour articles, check out rsftripreporter.net.

2020 Mercedes-Benz SL550
2013 BMW 335i convertible (sold)
2007 Aston Martin V8 Vantage (sold)
2006 BMW Z4 3.0i roadster (sold)
2005 BMW R1200GS (retired)
2003 BMW F650CS (sold)
Rick F.
Board Wizard

Postby biometrics » Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:04 pm

Spent some time in OC a month or so ago... that same sand sculpture was there, and is apparently maintained on a daily basis by someone local... since it rained heavily one day and 'melted' much of the sculpture, and the next day it had been completely renewed... a very interesting implementation of Matthew 28:19-20.

-John
1983 R100 /T with Velorex Sidecar
2000 K1200LT (Sold!)
1999 R1100RT-P (Sold!)
1983 Honda Nighthawk 650 (Sold!)
1973 Yamaha 125 Enduro (Ripped off!)
My Avatar? U.S. Army - Kagnew Station, Asmara, Eritrea, East Africa, 1972-1973
biometrics
Frequent Poster

Return to Impressions