Single Image HDR

Stop and smell the roses, and while you're at it take a picture or two.

Single Image HDR

Postby RocketMan » Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:37 am

Since I wasn’t real happy with the lighting in the set of photos taken at the last VA B-fest gathering and since trying to do multi-shot (bracketed) images when taking people/action shots is kind of pointless (unless you can get everyone to freeze for the duration!) I figured I try out some new scripts/workflow on the set and do some (sudo) HDR work from single images. Since I shot everything in RAW the images have a fairly wide tonal range (much better than jpg) and you can go a good one or two EV steps up or down and still get good detail in shadows or highlights. Granted not as great a range as bracketing, nor can you pull out detail that simply isn’t there but by combining several shots saved as tif iamges from the RAW image at different EV settings you can bring out detail or lighten or darken the image overall. Much better than you can get just playing with a single image, RAW or otherwise since you lose much of the tonal range when you convert to a non RAW format.

After trying out several different combinations of EV settings I settled on creating a total of four images (three copies and the original). I created one image at -1 EV and two at +1 and +2 EV since shifting the balance of the image set toward lightness had better results in my tests for this series.

I then modified my script accordingly and set it to process all the images in the directory where the RAW images were saved. The script basically does everything, creates the four images in TIFF, enfuses them (creates the HDR image), creates the tone-mapped overlay images, one for detail enhancement and one for color contrast enhancement, builds the Gimp .xcf file and brings in the three images on separate layers; base (HDR blended)image first, detail enhancement image on the next layer as an “overlay” at 55% opacity and the third color enhancement image on the top layer as “soft light” at 100%. After the script is finished doing all the grunt work of creating the final .xcf output, I can then go in and tweak each and do any fine tuning I need. If I don’t like the result of any of the images I can always modify the parameters in the script and re-run it on just those images I didn’t like.

So here are some comparisons "before" image first, "after" image second. The differences are subtle as I don't do a lot of tone-mapping in my HDR since I'm trying simply to bring out detail and colors "as seen by the human eye" in th shadows and highlights.

Look at the shadowed areas and you will set the greater detail by the choice of using 2 up and 1 under EV settings in the script. Detail in the clouds is Way better and colors more distinct and a bit brighter without being overdone and no halos around higher contrast areas that HDR tone-mapped images are prone too. And a big plus of using a single base image is that there no need for image alignment and absolutely no ghosting from movement in the series, since there is No movement!

For those interested most of the tools I’m using are available here and there are windows versions of most of them. As I understand it, when you install them some create batch files with icons that you can drag and drop images onto for automated processing. Look for Hugin, PFStools, Luminance HDR, Enfuse, Emblend, also RawTherapee and Gimp, all free software under the GNU license. (see links at bottom of post).

before

after

before

after

before

after

before

after

before

after

before

after

before

after

before

after

before

after

before

after

before

after

before

after

before

after

sometimes though it doesn't work out well and the non-HDR has a greater appeal (at least to me). I personally like the softer tones and less detail in these along with the deeper shadows.

before

after

before

after

Other links for info on the process are here

Using Enfuse

http://www.linux.com/archive/feature/127062

http://photoblog.edu-perez.com/2009/02/ ... linux.html

scripts for batch processing and sorting bracketed images into separate directories.

http://photo-en.tassy.net/

RM
Fromerly MR. MonkeyButt now Mr. Breezy-Butt!
http://roadrunes.com

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts" - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

"I think you're a NUT!"- Tina
RocketMan
Board Wizard

Re: Single Image HDR

Postby JimVonBaden » Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:41 am

Most of them just look a bit photoshopped to me.

Jim :brow
JimVonBaden
Smooth Motorcycle Operator

Postby BMWGirl » Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:44 am

I don't like the "after" pics, they look fake.
BECAUSE I CAN!!!
IBA #37898 - IBR - 2017 IBA #565 Woohoo

2015 R1200GSA white w/PURPLE :-)
'10 K1300GT
'05 R1200ST

"Riding is about having an adventure - you just go with it and No Whining!" Kermit
BMWGirl
GO COWBOYS!

Postby RocketMan » Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:59 am

JimVonBaden wrote:Most of them just look a bit photoshopped to me.

Aw you'r just jelous! :lol:

Seriously though I didn't like the washed out look of the originals, in fact all the images in the Bfest thread had that some look, not just mine due to the overcast sky. If I had shot these in jpg in the camera, the effect would have been similar without the added range of a blended image. That’s why I generally don't like to shoot jpg in camera much as it applies what the camera "thinks" the scene should look like rather than leaving it up the person taking the image. The other nice thing about using the layers is that I can always adjust the overlays to suit or just turn them off and still have the base image with greater tonal range. some of it could also be due to the display, just they look differant here at work than at home on my system there.
To me the after images look more like what I remember and give better detail and crispness, although sometimes it doesn't as shown in the last two, but to each their own. I’d be willing to bet if I had posted these by themselves without a comparison the “photoshopping” effect could have gone unnoticed.

RM

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts" - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

RocketMan
Board Wizard

Postby Rick F. » Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:15 pm

RM,

Good examples. I've been meaning to experiment with single-exposure HDR but haven't gotten to it yet. If I heard correctly, the newest version of Photomatix Pro has a built-in feature for tone-mapping with a single exposure.

Of course, that would be way easier than setting up Linux macros, interactive base-to-remote scripts, transcomputational hyper-distortion parameters, and so forth!

Rick
For all my tour articles, check out rsftripreporter.net.

2020 Mercedes-Benz SL550
2013 BMW 335i convertible (sold)
2007 Aston Martin V8 Vantage (sold)
2006 BMW Z4 3.0i roadster (sold)
2005 BMW R1200GS (retired)
2003 BMW F650CS (sold)
Rick F.
Board Wizard

Postby RocketMan » Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:47 am

Rick F. wrote:RM,

Good examples. I've been meaning to experiment with single-exposure HDR but haven't gotten to it yet. If I heard correctly, the newest version of Photomatix Pro has a built-in feature for tone-mapping with a single exposure.

Of course, that would be way easier than setting up Linux macros, interactive base-to-remote scripts, transcomputational hyper-distortion parameters, and so forth!

Rick

Yeah, geeks into digital photography, scary, ain't it? Hell I even have a binary editor for when I feel like really messin' with an image file!

The real plus as I said is for shots with lots of movement, either natural or camera induced.

RM

RocketMan
Board Wizard

Postby JimVonBaden » Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:42 am

Not exactly single image, but unretouched and directly out of my camera. I took thiis at the CO Canal, and did not use a tripod, just hand held.

JimVonBaden

Postby RocketMan » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:22 am

JimVonBaden wrote:Image

Not exactly single image, but unretouched and directly out of my camera. I took thiis at the CO Canal, and did not use a tripod, just hand held.

nice shot.
so this was combined from multiple shots in camera? (or was it "simulated" :lol:)

seriously thou, how'd ya do it?

RM

RocketMan
Board Wizard

Postby JimVonBaden » Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:04 pm

RocketMan wrote:
JimVonBaden wrote:Image

nice shot.
so this was combined from multiple shots in camera? (or was it "simulated" :lol:)

seriously thou, how'd ya do it?

RM

The G12 has a built in HDR that takes three shots in a row, then combines them in the camera to produce what you see here.

JimVonBaden

Return to Impressions