A visit to Rippon Lodge Historical Site.

Stop and smell the roses, and while you're at it take a picture or two.

A visit to Rippon Lodge Historical Site.

Postby RocketMan » Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:31 pm

This happens to be just up the street from me and for some years I used to wonder where the iron gate and gravel drive located along the last section of Blackburn Road led to. the area is all wooded so there was no way to see up the drive past the first curve. The entire hill was fenced off with PW County property signs and more often than not the gate was closed and locked. A while ago I finally discovered that is was the site of the oldest home in the Woodbridge area and known as Rippon Lodge. More info from Wikipedia below. To call it a "lodge" is something of a misnomer, but I suspect it started out somewhat smaller than it is today. It was occupied until quite recently it seemed then PW county became the property owners and after some restoration work opened it up to the public three days a week. The view from the top of the hill on which it sits is quite nice, you can see all the way to the Potomac River and across to the Maryland shore line.

From Wikipedia...

"Rippon Lodge is the oldest house still extant in Prince William County, Virginia. Built ca. 1747 by Richard Blackburn, it lies on high ground overlooking Neabsco Creek at the south end of what is now the unincorporated town of Woodbridge at 15520 Blackburn Road. The house takes its name from Richard Blackburn's birthplace, the small city of Ripon in North Yorkshire, England.
The house is located along a remnant of the original Kings Highway (now known as the "Washington–Rochambeau Revolutionary Route" ); this vital roadway connected the 13 original colonies, stretching from Newport, Rhode Island to Yorktown, playing a vital role in the Revolutionary War It was along this road that colonial troops marched to defeat the British at Yorktown.

Originally a tobacco plantation, the land holdings stretched from Neabsco Creek westward to near what is now I-95 and amounted to about 21,000 acres (85 km²). The property featured its own port on Neabsco Creek and is close to the town of Dumfries, a once-important colonial seaport.

Built by Richard Blackburn, the house was passed to his son, Col. Thomas Blackburn. It was sold around 1820 to the Atkinson family who lived there for about 100 years."

I've also made arrangements with the caretaker to gain access to it some time in the early morning well before it opens to the public to take advantage of the early morning light with an agreement to allow them to use any pictures they like in promotional material, Kool beans! I'd get credit of course and not really looking for (or expecting payment, but I wouldn't refuse any either!)

The main house, love the porches!

a view of the side lawn facing the river

There is a nice vegetable garden behind the main house next to what I presume was the cookhouse

The side entrance facing the wooded area with a set of stone steps leading into the woods behind the house

the opening in the stone wall and small garden just outside the entrance above

A small out building across the main lawn from the lodge

This assume was the cookhouse

a nice garden path

another garden and a flower shot

This bunkhouse sits on the foundations of an old barn, it was last used as a bunkhouse for individuals that worked for one of the last owners of the Blackburn Family during the Great Depression, seems he ran his own mini CCC program for locals during that time.

and finally a link to the pano I took from the center of the main lawn
http://roadrunes.com/photo/main.php?g2_ ... emId=62607

RM
Fromerly MR. MonkeyButt now Mr. Breezy-Butt!
http://roadrunes.com

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts" - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

"I think you're a NUT!"- Tina
RocketMan
Board Wizard

Re: A visit to Rippon Lodge Historical Site.

Postby Unity » Sun Aug 22, 2010 4:24 pm

Wow, Jeff, very nice find. The Yorktown mention is fitting, in that it looks like it could be in Yorktown! Also a very nice 360º pano -- you've got that technology figured out!

--John
(Good on Prince William County for preserving the site for the public!)
2002 R1150RT, Silver
Silver, the "cool and aloof" color.
(Road & Track Vol. 56, No.2, p. 19)

1971 Triumph Bonneville, Gold
Gold, the "paying the restorer" color.
(Trust me.)
Unity
Shaman

Postby RocketMan » Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:13 pm

Unity wrote:Wow, Jeff, very nice find. The Yorktown mention is fitting, in that it looks like it could be in Yorktown! Also a very nice 360º pano -- you've got that technology figured out!

--John
(Good on Prince William County for preserving the site for the public!)

tanks!
the pano was rendered in Hugin, another linux tool

here's a link to some that was done using that tool.. it is used by the airbus training center to get pilots an overview of the cockpit, now this is Way kool!

http://www.gillesvidal.com/blogpano/cockpit1.htm

RM
Fromerly MR. MonkeyButt now Mr. Breezy-Butt!
http://roadrunes.com

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts" - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

"I think you're a NUT!"- Tina
RocketMan
Board Wizard

Postby Rick F. » Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:35 pm

RM,

Nice place! Thanks for the pic's and description.

Rick
For all my tour articles, check out rsftripreporter.net.

2020 Mercedes-Benz SL550
2013 BMW 335i convertible (sold)
2007 Aston Martin V8 Vantage (sold)
2006 BMW Z4 3.0i roadster (sold)
2005 BMW R1200GS (retired)
2003 BMW F650CS (sold)
Rick F.
Board Wizard

Postby Maria V » Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:51 pm

Very nice pics and story. Thumbs up!
Maria
Retired Presidente
Kermit's Ride Rule: "Don't hit the person in front of you and no whining."
2009 F650GS - "Moose" Veni, Vidi, Vroom!
Maria V
Attack Ninja

Postby adooley » Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:09 am

Very nice place and pictures! Thanks for sharing. I would not like to be the gardener for that place, much less mow that yard!
adooley

Return to Impressions