Need advice about good roads near Fairfax

Our favorite roads and rides in the mid-Atlantic area - if you find a hidden gem please post!

Postby Dough Boy » Fri Aug 25, 2006 9:26 am

mrenloe wrote:One negative... You'll have to ride a mile or so of gravel road. It is usually in good shape at least the past several times I have been there.

You feeling ok Enloe?
Dough Boy

Postby MrE » Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:22 am

BreadMan wrote:
mrenloe wrote:One negative... You'll have to ride a mile or so of gravel road. It is usually in good shape at least the past several times I have been there.

You feeling ok Enloe?

Sorry... For ME, it is an absolute positive... except for the fact that the road is usually in good shape. But for Vin, on an R1100R and with a passenger on her first ride... That is the negative.

So I should have said: "One thing to note... You'll have to ride ..."
The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane.
Mark Twain,
MrE
Adventurer Wannabe

Postby vinman » Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:04 pm

Thanks for the advice guys!! Yes, a gravel road with a passenger on my R1150R, I'll have to be a little more careful than usual.

Turns out we couldn't coordinate our schedules until late this afternoon today (damn that work thing) so by the time we would have gotten to Chrysalis it would be close to closing. So we went for plan B. Had a great time. :D We'll have to head to Chrysalis another weekend.
vinman

Re: Need advice about good roads near Fairfax

Postby billnjan » Sat May 21, 2011 6:04 pm

We ride in Clifton area all the time. Fun places to check out are the haunted Bunnyman Bridge at the end of Colchester RD, the Fairfax Station Train Museum, the caboose at Clifton and the Clifton Market for some good food in the new restaurant section. Clifton is a good place to relax and watch the parade of classic bikes and cars that usually cruise by on the weekends. If you don't know the area well bring a map or gps. Very easy to get lost or disoriented until you know you're way around.
billnjan

Re: Need advice about good roads near Fairfax

Postby howardenichols » Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:19 pm

I ride the back roads just south of Clifton all the time. Head south down Rt 123 from Burke Center: There are 3 roads off of 123 -- Hampton (goes by Fountainhead Park), Clifton Road, and Henderson. All of these more-or-less interconnect so you can kind of loop around.
2011 R1200RT
2003 Honda VTX 1300
howardenichols

Previous

Return to Our Favorite Roads (VA, MD, WV, PA, DC)