Camping Spots - VA

Our favorite roads and rides in the mid-Atlantic area - if you find a hidden gem please post!

Camping Spots - VA

Postby DriveShaft » Thu Jun 22, 2006 3:47 pm

Lookin' to do some weekend camping jaunts this summer. I'm pretty much skyline'd out, so I'm curious about other destinations in the area that are worth checking out. Personally, I wouldn't mind finding some place near a trout-stocked pond...that would just totally rock. :D
DriveShaft

Postby LocalRider#7 » Thu Jun 22, 2006 3:55 pm

Don't know if they have trout, but Sherando Lake near Charlottesville, VA is a great camping spot. There are good rides (as well as offroad trails) and the lake there is great for fishing and/or taking a dip.
LocalRider#7

Postby The Dude! » Thu Jun 22, 2006 4:50 pm

Potomac near White Ferry - lots of islands and as the water level drops easily accessible on foot!
The Dude!

Postby philspace » Thu Jun 22, 2006 5:04 pm

LocalRider#7 wrote:Don't know if they have trout, but Sherando Lake near Charlottesville, VA is a great camping spot. There are good rides (as well as offroad trails) and the lake there is great for fishing and/or taking a dip.

+1 Sherando is great.

Also Seneca Shadows in WV. There are also some Fed and State parks along the river up there that you can book on line and fish at.
Phil Space
2015 R1200RT - Ebony Metallic
Springfield, VA
philspace
Board Guru

Postby Ted » Thu Jun 22, 2006 5:35 pm

I believe you can still "backwoods" camp just above Woodstock, VA at the Woodstock tower. There is also a half-decent campground there. Bonus is it is 10 minutes from SR-678 Powell's Fort Road :)
Image TedV
Moto Pages
'94 K75RT
"There's No Old Road ... That Doesn't Have Something Interesting On It" -- RickF
BMWBMW MoTY - 1996
Ted
Board Guru

GORP...my new internet fascination

Postby DriveShaft » Thu Jun 22, 2006 6:01 pm

Nice ideas, guys. Thanks!

Here's one from my own dillydallying...obviously...not a whole lot of work done today.

I've dropped by Gorp a long time ago for equipment commentary, but this is the first time I used it for hunting down a camping destination. Check these ideas out...pretty cool.

http://gorp.away.com/gorp/resource/us_n ... _geo_2.htm
DriveShaft

Postby MrE » Fri Jun 23, 2006 9:01 am

There is a campground at Wolf Gap. Great road up and down the other side into WV. GS riders there are MILES of forest service roads within a few mins of Wolf Gap.

Stocked Trout *streams*... Head down to Covington. Roaring Furnace is one camping area.

Also, Elizabeth Furnace just west of Front Royal.
The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane.
Mark Twain,
MrE
Adventurer Wannabe

Postby RocketMan » Fri Jun 23, 2006 9:50 am

also Seneca Rocks where some of the folks are headed this weekend, several places including the state parks and Yokum's. Areas around Goshen had some camping (butI've never been there so can't say what its like) and Lake Merryweather (across from the big Boy Scout reservation which I have been to) has public camping, (or did anyway) huge lake and is a very pretty area. Its off of Rt. 39 which is an awesome ride out of Lexington VA and is the feeder for the Cowpasture River, which is much nicer than its name implies! :lol:

There is also a place called the Low Water Campground on the Shenedoa (sp?) river which is nice, esp if you like canue/white water stuff.

RM
Fromerly MR. MonkeyButt now Mr. Breezy-Butt!
http://roadrunes.com

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts" - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

"I think you're a NUT!"- Tina
RocketMan
Board Wizard

Postby twehner » Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:12 am

Elizabeth Furnace in the GW forest near Front Royal.

We went for a night this week, and there was no one else there (it was Sunday.) Sites are very nice, with graveled pads for tents, stone fire pits with grills, trash cans at the site, lantern hanger. There are bathrooms with running water and shower but somewhat primitive.

Pros:
- $14 per night
- Fairly quiet (maybe not during peak times)
- Concealed handguns OK with CHP (bears, bad guys preying on people far from help. There is a sign at the entrance reminding you that you're in bear country. I try to avoid National Parks where you are required to submit to predation.)
- Stocked trout pond

Cons:
- Some sites near the road; you can hear the cars
- No alcohol. You can get away with it low-key I'm sure
twehner

Postby The Dude! » Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:24 am

twehner wrote:Elizabeth Furnace in the GW forest near Front Royal.

We went for a night this week, and there was no one else there (it was Sunday.) Sites are very nice, with graveled pads for tents, stone fire pits with grills, trash cans at the site, lantern hanger. There are bathrooms with running water and shower but somewhat primitive.

Pros:
- $14 per night
- Fairly quiet (maybe not during peak times)
- Concealed handguns OK with CHP (bears, bad guys preying on people far from help. There is a sign at the entrance reminding you that you're in bear country. I try to avoid National Parks where you are required to submit to predation.)
- Stocked trout pond

Cons:
- Some sites near the road; you can hear the cars
- No alcohol. You can get away with it low-key I'm sure
I'm headed out to Nelson Rocks this weekend (partially on buisness) and will be camping at Seneca State Forest.

BTW - I'm starting to daydream about a teardrop camper that both the GS and the Mazda can pull, or modifying one that the Mazda can pull and the GS can be towed on somehow.
The Dude!

Postby BchrisL » Tue Sep 18, 2007 4:49 pm

Douthat State Park

From I-64, take Exit 27 near Clifton Forge. Turn North onto State Route 629 (highway at exit ramp). Travel north three miles to the park entrance sign and another two miles to the park office.
BchrisL

Postby BchrisL » Tue Sep 18, 2007 4:54 pm

Douthat State Park

From I-64, take Exit 27 near Clifton Forge. Turn North onto State Route 629 (highway at exit ramp). Travel north three miles to the park entrance sign and another two miles to the park office.

also:

North Creek Campground (primitive) (Buchanan, VA)
BchrisL

Return to Our Favorite Roads (VA, MD, WV, PA, DC)