MD - I'll share my favorite route.

Our favorite roads and rides in the mid-Atlantic area - if you find a hidden gem please post!

MD - I'll share my favorite route.

Postby JonF » Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:19 pm

Some of you in the Severna Park/Millersville/Annapolis area probably know alot of these roads. I put some good ones together and this is my basic route that I like to run. I also have an extension of this route and a few variations but this is the main part of it. This basic route gives me a little over 100 miles from my house. It makes a nice Saturday or Sunday morning ride and is twisty enough to entertain you if you're feeling cocky.

From westbound Benfield Blvd starting near the high school:
Right on Jumpers Hole Rd, through the traffic circle and continue on Jumpers Hole.
Left onto Obrecht at the light. Changes to Brightview Dr, continue to Veterans Hwy.
Left on Veterans Hwy
Right on Benfield Blvd over 97 to the 4 way stop.
Left onto Dicus Mill Rd. Continue on Dicus mill, straight through the flashing light and continue to Burns Crossing Rd.
Right on Burns Crossing past the landfill entrance.
Right on Constant Avenue. Watch the gravel that is usually present in the intersection.
Right on New Cut Rd at the stopsign.
At the New Cut/Gambrills Rd fork stay right.
Right onto Gambrills Rd.
Right onto Dicus Mill Rd at the flashing light (Yes again, it's that fun)
This time at the stopsign, left onto Burns Crossing Rd.
Right at the light, Sappington Station Rd.
Left at the light onto Burns Crossing Rd.
Left onto 175 at the stopsign.
Right onto Rt 3 south.
Pass the Honda store, left onto St. Stephens Church Rd. Cross over NB Rt3 and go straight on St Stephens Church.
Right onto St. Stephens Church Rd. (Manhole cover in center of intersection, squeeze by to the right) If you go straight it changes to Severn Chapel Rd
Stay on st Stephens Church Rd, right at the first stopsign (Right permitted without stopping) continue to the end at Rt450.
Left on Rt450
Quick right onto Rutland Rd to the stopsign.
Left at the stopsign, still Rutland Rd to the end at 424.
Right on 424
Cross over Rt50
Left on Rossback Rd.
Continue on Rossback to the 4 way stop at Governor Bridge Rd.
Go straight across at the 4 way stop. Becomes Patuxant River Rd.
Cross over 214 (Central Ave)
Continue on Patuxant River Rd, becomes Harwood Rd.
Stay on Harwood until the end at Rt2.
Rt on Rt2 south for about 1/2 mile.
Right on Polling House Rd.
Stay on Polling House until the end at Bayard Rd.
Right on Bayard Rd to the end.
Left on Sands Road to the end at Rt408
Right on 408 and I usually stop for a coffee or soda at the gas station/food shop.

Then I usually run this route backwards to get back home because they are some of the best roads around thati have found. Plus I like to try and even out the wear on each side of my tires. Or I can continue southward to 234 in southern Md on some pretty good but not as twisty roads with nice scenery.

I also have an alternate route that takes me back through Crownsville and onto River road to Herald Harbor. It's another good road but often I get stuck behind a slow cage with no place to pass or if it has rained alot it might have water over the road.
JonF

Postby Dauntless » Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:09 am

Looks like a nice route!
Dauntless

Return to Our Favorite Roads (VA, MD, WV, PA, DC)