GS routes and trips

Our favorite roads and rides in the mid-Atlantic area - if you find a hidden gem please post!

GS routes and trips

Postby Ultra_Beouf » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:02 pm

Greetings and salutations!

I recently moved the area and was excited to find this forum and have been lurking on the forums, and have really enjoyed your format and decorum! Well done creating such a friendly place that makes newcomers feel welcome!

That said, I am searching for options to dirty up my GS and was wondering if anyone had favorite routes that they would share. Here's a few "parameters" that I am considering:

- my new homestead is only about 20 min away from Bob's and it might be a good starting point for the GS rides

- i'd be interested in day trips, over night, or even long weekends

- I'd be interested in varying levels of GS rides; I am a rookie in this arena.

- group rides are also right up my alley since I'm new to the area.

Thanks in advance for your advice and for sharing!
Ultra_Beouf

Re: GS routes and trips

Postby BMWGirl » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:23 pm

Hey - Welcome to the club! Do you have a name or do we call you Ultra Beouf :wink:

I THINK if you're looking for good GS routes, you might want to head over to WV. LOTS of good roads over there. As for MD, I'm sure there are some good ones, but I don't know where. :(

Good luck! We have a meeting at Bob's in 2 weeks (Saturday), you should come by and say hello!
BECAUSE I CAN!!!
IBA #37898 - IBR - 2017 IBA #565 Woohoo

2015 R1200GSA white w/PURPLE :-)
'10 K1300GT
'05 R1200ST

"Riding is about having an adventure - you just go with it and No Whining!" Kermit
BMWGirl
GO COWBOYS!

Postby gastone » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:24 pm

Do you do facebook? If so check out GS riders of Bob's or GS riders of Morton's. I'm on the GS rider's of Morton's page. We try to do semi-organized dual sport rides fairly regularly. I've got one planned for August 13th, meeting up at Morton's and then heading west to the GW forest.

If you are on ADV, check out the regional forums... the SMIB thread will lead you to local ds riders who may know of some rides more local to you. Also check the NOVA weekend rides thread. A good/mixed group of guys that get together on Sundays and ride for a few hours. We did about 80 miles of mostly gravel in Loudon 2 weekends ago. Very beginner friendly ride.

If you'd like to get out some time and get the pig dirty, let me know. I'm available most of the summer as I'm a teacher and well...ain't doing much.
Garrett

2007 G650xChallenge
gastone

Postby patrick1moon » Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:48 pm

George Washington Forrest is a great place to find some dirt. Anywhere from standard gravel roads to gnarly jeep trails. This is my favorite place to ride off pavement. Oh and camping in the GW Forrest is free. Just find a spot and set up.
2010 Red Low Frame R1200GS
2013 Red Honda CRF250L
patrick1moon
Frequent Poster

Postby Ultra_Beouf » Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:31 pm

Thanks for the ideas!

I'm sync'd with the GS Riders of Bob's and it sounds like there's a similar squad with Mortons. I look forward to putting names and face together with the folks in the club here!

BTW, the name's Josh. Please to make your acquaintances!
Ultra_Beouf

Return to Our Favorite Roads (VA, MD, WV, PA, DC)