Speaking of Mortons, my route from Morton's to Burke

Our favorite roads and rides in the mid-Atlantic area - if you find a hidden gem please post!

Speaking of Mortons, my route from Morton's to Burke

Postby ChaseH » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:48 am

My father in law is riding around the country, will be hitting Mortons for tune up on Friday, and then continuing up to us in Burke. The following are my instructions to him of the route I've carved out for myself on recent trips. Any thoughts on how to improve it? The idea of course is to get to and from Mortons as quickly as possible, but while avoiding the traffic and misery of 95 and taking in nice roads to ride in the meanwhile.

The directions:

Mortons is in a large shopping center on the corner of Rte 1 and Rte 208 “Courthouse Rd.”

Leaving Morton’s I would either take Rte 1 North for about 5 miles to Rte 17, or if you really prefer, follow signs on 208 West to 95N which will get you to 17 a bit faster.

Take 17 West about 6 miles from Rte 1 to country rd. 612, Hartwood Rd. That will be it for big roads for awhile.

Take Hartwood Rd North for almost 6 miles and you’ll hit a T which is Bristerburg Rd to the left (WNW) and I believe still called Poplar to the right.

Take the left onto Bristerburg WNW for about 8 miles and it will run you into Elk Run Rd. A beautiful and flat farm rd with good speed limits. I rarely see other vehicles on the road.

Take a right onto Elk Run and head North for about 5-6 miles. This will run you into Rte 28, Catlett Rd. A larger road with some lights.

Take 28 about 8 miles North and you’ll reach 234, Price William Pkwy. This part can seem to be counterintuitive, and if you look at a map you’ll see why. Take a right onto 234 which will head South. You do not want to head left and North at this point. In about 2 miles, you must make a left at a big intersection, which will be the continuation of Prince William Pkwy back North. Staying the course would put you onto Dumfries Rd. albeit still 234, and you’d head back South.

In another 1.5 miles make a right, again keeping the name Prince William Pkwy. About a mile later, you’ll make a left at a large intersection onto Yates Ford Rd. The roads will now be getting smaller and more pleasant again. Take Yates Ford NE for about 2.5 miles, over the Northern edges of the Occoquan reservoir, and ultimately making a left onto Henderson Rd (643). Take Henderson (which is where a BMW hit a deer yesterday) about 1.5 mils to a T and make a right onto Clifton Rd.

In 2.5 miles, Clifton Rd will cross Ox Rd at a large intersection (Ox is a major rd.) and Clifton Rd. will now be known as Burke Lake Rd.

In 1 mile, Burke Lake Rd. will cross FFX Cnty Pkwy (7100), continue NE on Burke Lake Rd. In about 3 miles, you should start recognizing our area, after you pass the large High School on the left, you’ll want to take a right onto Signal Hill Dr.
09 R1200 GS
14 S1000RR HP4

Scuba Travel & Motorcycle photos
http://chaseh.smugmug.com/
ChaseH
Where GS = Gone Skidding

Re: Speaking of Mortons, my route from Morton's to Burke

Postby howardenichols » Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:28 pm

Your route taking is a good one. There are a whole nest of roads that are just west of Quantico between Rt 17 and the Prince William parkway, although they can be confusing. I used them regularly a couple of years ago when i was commuting weekly to Williamsburg and did not want to take I95 or I64.
2011 R1200RT
2003 Honda VTX 1300
howardenichols

Postby R4R&R » Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:56 pm

ChaseH wrote:Any thoughts on how to improve it?

Yep...
ChaseH wrote:The idea of course is to get to and from Mortons as quickly as possible, but while avoiding the traffic and misery of 95 and taking in nice roads to ride in the meanwhile.

I have a great route and while it takes you more west, it will add a little more time. Nevermind.
'17 Triumph Explorer 1200
'04 R1150R (gone but not forgotten)
('13 Triumph Speed Triple - sons bike)
Itchin' for a ride
R4R&R
GO COWBOYS!

Postby philspace » Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:17 am

If you aren't in a hurry, google Kelly's Ford. You can go out the southern route, cross 20 below Rt 3 and cut up to it or take 610. Once you are over the Kelly's Ford bridge, you can cross 17 at the diner or the next intersection up (no light) and blast in on Elk Run, then Courthouse and up to Yates Ford any number of ways.
Phil Space
2015 R1200RT - Ebony Metallic
Springfield, VA
philspace
Board Guru

Return to Our Favorite Roads (VA, MD, WV, PA, DC)