PA Route 34

Our favorite roads and rides in the mid-Atlantic area - if you find a hidden gem please post!

PA Route 34

Postby censor46 » Tue Aug 26, 2003 3:28 pm

Route 34 from US11 North of Harrisburg to Carlisle. I discovered this route on my way home from Bloomsburg PA. At Mt Holly Springs you can stay on Rt 34 and go into into Gettysburg, or you can take Rt 94 to Hanover. We took Rt 94 into Hanover and then home. The first 20 miles are really disserted, and then you start hitting some small towns. Great way to bypass Harrisburg if you are heading South.

censor46@hotmail.com
R1150RT
censor46

PA 34 south Liverpool to Gettysburg

Postby Rydr » Fri Nov 12, 2004 11:06 pm

I'm partial to this road because, as censor46 says, it is a great shortcut to avoid Harrisburg, but also because it goes through my town. And then there's the ferry!

PA 34 begins at US /15 on the west side of the Susquehanna just south of Liverpool. If you happen to be on the east side of the Susquehanna, catch the historic Millersburg Ferry (http://www.millersburg.com/attractions/ferry.html) and cross to the landing opposite the start of PA 34, then proceed south through three courthouse squares (New Bloomfield - Perry County, Carlisle - Cumberland County, and Gettysburg - Adams County). Note the Union Civil War monuments in each, especially New Bloomfield. Scenery takes you through curves in the Appalachians, then across the broad Cumberland Valley, and then into the orchards of upper Adams County before you enter Gettysburg and the battlefield.

PA 34 is for cruising, and except for a few curves, is not a sportbike road such as the next road west - PA 74.

Fred

P.S. The ferry is seasonal. Check dates, times and flood stages before making any assumptions.
Rydr

Postby RockBottom » Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:37 am

If you stay on Rt 34 north of Carlisle, you'll pass about 100 yards from my house. It's a very nice loop to stay on 34 to Sherman's Dale in Perry county, there take Rt 850 west to Landisburg, pick up 233 to McRea, 944 east which links back into 34. By the way, Rt 34 was the route the Ewell's corps took from Carlisle to Gettysburg for the battle.
RockBottom
Board Guru

Return to Our Favorite Roads (VA, MD, WV, PA, DC)