Elk Creek Cafe & Aleworks

Our favorite roads and rides in the mid-Atlantic area - if you find a hidden gem please post!

Elk Creek Cafe & Aleworks

Postby gardner17756 » Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:03 am

Elk Creek is a recently opened micro brewery within commuting distance of Penn State University. On the map it is located on Rt 45 approximately 10 miles east of Boalsburg which is located south of State College.

http://www.elkcreekcafe.net/

I mention Elk Creek in this section as it would be a destination ride for many club members.

For myself it is a 140 mile, six red light, Sunday morning brunch loop. The added benefit is returning home with a growler of IPA. The highlight of the ride is riding past an Amish farmhouse with a dozen plus buggies unhitched. (While I respect the privacy of the Amish; this view is very comforting.)

While there is a hotel within walking distance the local B&B's are recommended.

On June 28th a local band is playing that calls themselves: Chicken Tractor. While the family farm had 'chicken tractors' I never knew there was a real name for the portable coop until I Googled the bands name.
The band has a myspace page that is worth checking out. My wife and I enjoyed three members performing at the Selinsgrove Brewery a few weeks ago. (If any of you are into micor breweries you need to check this place out: http://www.selinsgrovebrewing.com/.

There are alot of great roads to ride in this immediate area. Rt's 45, 192, 880 are only a few. In this neck of the woods: the opportunity to ride with other BMW riders is as "scarce as hen's teeth".

Drop me a note if any of you would like to ride up this way.

Enjoy

Elk Creek:

gardner17756

Postby gardner17756 » Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:56 am

Last night, the evening of June 28th, my wife and I drove the Smart car to Elk Creek to have dinner and watch the Chicken Tractor perform. The ride through rural Amish country was rather interesting. Alot of young Amish out and about for Saturday evening buggy rides and courtship. Saw a bunch of young Amish boys on their oversized push scooters headed to a camp out with the sleeping bags and gear strapped on. Came across one couple parked along the road. The Amish woman picking wild flowers while her courter looked upon. The Amish love the Smart car.

Drove by a small rural "English" cemetary and viewed a young woman sitting by a grave adorned with boquets of flowers and momentos.

Disappointed to find that alot of the roads we drove were recently tarred and chipped. We explored alternative roads on the way home.

The dinner at Elk Creek was great. Flank steak and pulled pork were our entrees. The chef is using seasonings that we are not familiar with. Chicken Tractor were worth the trip to see. Alot of their songs are gleaned from old 78's. They did play a few contemporary songs by Merle Haggard and Gram Parsons. While I was discouraged not to find a group of club members at Elk Creek (lol) I did run into an owner of a /6 that I previously met at the Selinsgrove Brewery.

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu ... =210807189
gardner17756

Postby Hello Kitty » Sun Jun 29, 2008 12:31 pm

I'm gonna put this place on our list of places to go. I have been wanting to bring Walt up to that area - actually, kinda NW of there. But if we left early on Sat AM from western MD or maybe even into PA already, got a long ride in, he'd be very ready for a night at the microbrew!

Thanks for sharing about the tar n chip roads. I'll ride 'em if I have to, but would much prefer to not. What roads were they? We'd probably stick to the more main roads say 120 east out of Rideway and then up to Hyner View - I love that place! Then wind back down toward Elk Creek cafe
Kitty
Hello Kitty
Boss of Tina

Postby gardner17756 » Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:41 pm

I checked with a friend who works for PennDot. PennDot does not have a specific web page that states what roads are scheduled to be tarred and chipped. Generally, a state maintained road will be swept the following week after the chips have been spread. A few of the roads that I lamented about in my previous post were fine one week later. My friend referred me to this site to check on road work: http://www.dot.state.pa.us

A nice ride from Hyner look out to to Elkcreek would be to ride up to Haneyville and take Rt Rt 664 into Lock Haven. Work your way through Lock Haven and Mill Hall over to Salona and take Rt 477 to Loganton. (Rt 477 from Solana to Rt 192 is a real jem.) At Loganton run Rt 880 west to Rt 192 or continue south on Rt 477 to Rt 192. Run 192 west towards Rebersburg then Rt 445 (?) over the ridgeline to Milheim. Elk Creek is on the corner at the only red light in town.
gardner17756

Postby Hello Kitty » Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:44 pm

Thanks! I'll look into that when Walt and I are on the same continent and want to go for a ride!
Kitty
Hello Kitty
Boss of Tina

Re: Elk Creek Cafe & Aleworks

Postby RockBottom » Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:52 am

gardner17756 wrote: In this neck of the woods: the opportunity to ride with other BMW riders is as "scarce as hen's teeth".

Drop me a note if any of you would like to ride up this way.

Enjoy

Elk Creek:

You ought to come down to the Carlisle "Bike Fest" on July 26th. My F800ST will be in the parking lot! http://www.carsatcarlisle.com/ce/events/
RockBottom
Board Guru

Postby gardner17756 » Sat Jul 19, 2008 10:55 pm

You ought to come down to the Carlisle "Bike Fest" on July 26th. My F800ST will be in the parking lot!

I appreciate the invite.

Riding to Easton that weekend to celebrate a college friend's 50th. Difficult to recollect that we met for the first time 32 years ago at college orientation weekend.
gardner17756

Postby RockBottom » Sun Jul 20, 2008 6:22 am

gardner17756 wrote:You ought to come down to the Carlisle "Bike Fest" on July 26th. My F800ST will be in the parking lot!

I appreciate the invite.

Riding to Easton that weekend to celebrate a college friend's 50th. Difficult to recollect that we met for the first time 32 years ago at college orientation weekend.

I'm heading out of Carlisle in a few minutes--going to do Rt 74 west, Rt 75 south, then Rt 641 back. Mostly in Perry County.

I'll probably get your way in the fall. Daughter #1 is at State College. Daughter #2 strongly considered Lock Haven but is going to Juniata.
RockBottom
Board Guru

Return to Our Favorite Roads (VA, MD, WV, PA, DC)