Hello Kitty
Boss of Tina

Postby Blaster229 » Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:48 pm

let's hear it for K.I.T II :)
Blaster229
Ms. Kitty, Jr

Postby Sonar » Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:02 pm

Hello Kitty wrote:I'm already proud of him for putting up with me! :D

This sig will remain in place until 2100 hrs on 4/25 when the 96 hour grace period has expired. Thank you

I had to cut and paste in Word then boost the font to read that little blurb. :oops:

You can abuse me as long as you want; it can't be any worse than the "mutants" in Baltimore City. :wink:
Don C
2014 R1200RTW
I Buyed it to ride it!
IBA#: 357
Sonar
Board Wizard

Postby Bicyclist » Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:45 pm

What I'd like to know is how you endurance rallyists deal with a place like Nine Times or Leektown where there is no sign naming the place?
George

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons
Bicyclist
A.K.A. SANTA!!!

Postby Chiba » Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:03 pm

Bicyclist wrote:What I'd like to know is how you endurance rallyists deal with a place like Nine Times or Leektown where there is no sign naming the place?

I'm no endurance rallyist, but offhand I'd say you have to look for a street sign. Virginville MD is like that too - no sign announcing the town, but Virginville Road is the "main drag" through "town".

--chiba
BMW MOA Digital News Editor www.bmwmoa.org
- 05 R1200GS - 98 K1200RS + Hannigan Classic sidecar -
Chiba
The FUNNY One

Postby lionlady » Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:05 pm

Bicyclist wrote:What I'd like to know is how you endurance rallyists deal with a place like Nine Times or Leektown where there is no sign naming the place?

I can answer that one!! For rallies, you get a RECEIPT from someplace that has the town name on it. Buy gas, lunch, a soda, etc.

Often you can find a CHURCH with the obscure name on its signboard, but that could waste precious time.

P
Ta da!
lionlady
Board Wizard

Postby Blaster229 » Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:15 pm

The case with 9times, there was NOTHING. Although, I was there during a tsunami, there really was nothing but a church that said something other than 9 times. Just some old back unimproved roads with some paved roads and a house or two every couple miles. There was a small town nearby with the number 6 in the name. With the rain the way it was, it was no condition to be be scouting around further with dark rolling in as well. Someone said to get a picture of what I could in the area. But if you are taking pictures of something that isn't what is listed as the stop, then shouldn't that stop be what you can take pictures of??
Road names listed on the gps didn't match the road names I was riding on, although the roads/turns matched up perfectly.
I suggest not wasting the time on this stop if you venture out that way.
Unless I am totally wrong and someone has actually been there and it is something.
Blaster229
Ms. Kitty, Jr

Postby Hello Kitty » Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:31 pm

Nah, in an endurance rally you have a very specific task. Very infrequently it's just "get a gas receipt in Raleigh" it might have been a question off a historical marker. Or Mike mentioned a church, it might have been to say what time Sunday School starts. Ed's version of the MD2020 QI run, is NOT the actual MD2020 from last year. He's just using the names of the towns. Endurance rallies direct you to a very specific place to do something very specific. Rick Miller is going with no photo bonus so it's all receipts or questions to answer. Cape Fear was all photo with a couple receipts. Sometimes you need your bike in the photo, sometimes you don't. You have to read the directions and follow them. Right Timothy??? :lol:

There is (or was) something in Farmlife last year. I will let you know if I find it Saturday. I'll let ya'll know what I find in Nine Times when I get there. If you read the directions for Ed's QIT, it says that he hasn't been to all these places and you might not be able to find something, but then you need to get a photo of something else close by that he can look at a map and see it's right there. However, if you submit something close and I go there and find Nine Times Hardware, you may not get the points.
Kitty
Hello Kitty
Boss of Tina

Postby guitardad » Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:10 pm

Miss Kitty beat me to it - in an LD Rally the Rallymaster gives very specific instructions as to what you must do to prove you went to the proper location, in order to claim the points. It's all spelled out very explicitly in the Rally Book that's given to every participant. And though each rally has its own unique "flavor", the key point is that you must do EXACTLY what the RM tells you to do, or no points.

The only exception is if what the RM tells you to do cannot be done, due to some unforseen circumstance. For example, the RM tells you to take a picture of your bike with the statue in front of the Victory Junction Gang camp. But when you get there, the camp has decided to construct a new "Welcome Center" building, and has removed the statue while the construction is in process. Then you do whatever you can to document you were in the proper location - say a picture of your bike with the Welcome Center sign AND another picture at the front gate itself. You explain at the scoring table what happened, and what steps you took to try to do the proper thing. And then the RM or his designated scoring coordinator decides whether you get the points. Woe unto you if someone else DID find the statue!

And that's the one big difference between a rally and a season-long ride contest like many of us take part in. The club contest is far more relaxed - as it should be. It's a good excuse to ride to new places, just for the fun of it. Like taking a nice long ride around Disney World in a horse-drawn carriage. An LD Rally is a far more intense experience - like getting on the biggest, baddest roller coaster in the park. Each has its charms, each is fun in its own right. They're just different.
Chaz
'16 S1000XR "Raquel" - Red, the "energetic and quick-thinking" color
'79 R65 "Hans" - Red also ( I sense a pattern!)
guitardad
Original Oilhead

Postby georgefalcon » Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:51 pm

lionlady wrote:

I can answer that one!! For rallies, you get a RECEIPT from someplace that has the town name on it. Buy gas, lunch, a soda, etc.

Often you can find a CHURCH with the obscure name on its signboard, but that could waste precious time.

P
Pay a visit to Rough and Ready, N.Y. sometime.
georgefalcon

Postby jbfields3 » Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:24 pm

jbfields3 wrote:A picture I happened to take on the way down. See if you see what I saw when I looked at it at home. (Sorry the print is so small)

Anybody's eyes good enough to see the preacher's name?
jbfields3

Previous

Return to Races & Endurance Rallies