Mini-Rally at the SRR

Place to keep up with Road Rallies & Races

Postby Chiba » Fri Dec 01, 2006 10:02 am

guitardad wrote:
Hello Kitty wrote:But let's not forget about Mark Sigley at The Void II! Maybe you didn't hear the story, but he was required to present his license because of another rider (not in the rally) who did something stupid near Mark and in front of a police officer.

I remember the story, but let's face it, there are plenty of things that can happen that are out of the rider's control that can impact his/her finish. And I certainly wouldn't go anywhere close to DNF'ing a rider. Maybe it's an Anti-Bonus (tm chiba).

Can anybody tell us the story? I mean, without violating any trusts or talking smack about anybody - just a simple "this is what seems to have happened" accounting.

By the way - I hereby grant to BMWBMW and all of its concerns free use, in perpetuity, of the trademarked and copyrighted terms "ANTI-BONUS" and "ANTI-BONII" in any and all published works, printed or electronic, sacred or profane.

:)

OK I'm officially psyched up for my first rally, even if I have to answer to the likes of Kitty and WCur at the end of it :wink:

Free is always my favorite word, but I wouldn't mind an entry fee of $20 or something else reasonable like that. IIRC this whole tangent got started with my complaint/comment about not being able to handle the buy-in on the LD rallies, which from what I've seen often run in the several hundreds of dollars.

I don't see ANY harm or offense in limiting the number of participants to keep in officially a "mini" rally (love the idea of 33 people for the 33rd anniv.), and further no harm or offense in requiring said participants to be paid-up attendees of the SRR. If I were running the show (which I'm not), I'd even take the additional step of requiring them to be paid-up members-in-good-standing of BMWBMW *but* having said that, I've never been to an SRR so I don't know anything about the makeup of the group that attends, if it's mostly BMWBMWers or not.

I even had an idea for rally towels - bring your own. I've got stencils and black spray paint. Bring your towel, get your number, sssssssh sssssssh ssssssssh you're good to go. Just a quick idea to keep club/participant costs down :D

--chiba
BMW MOA Digital News Editor www.bmwmoa.org
- 05 R1200GS - 98 K1200RS + Hannigan Classic sidecar -
Chiba
The FUNNY One

Postby JimVonBaden » Fri Dec 01, 2006 10:17 am

Hello Kitty wrote:
JimVonBaden wrote:
Hello Kitty wrote:Yeah, there are private forums, but I trust no one, not even the mods here and they'd probably have access. We can do reply all emails to keep it simple... Sound good? It'd only be a couple of us. I guess me, you and Tim. If Ed wants to help he can, but he does so much other stuff, maybe we can just use him as a consultant/guru of such things and do the grunt work ourselves?

No worries here. I can mod it since there is zero chance of me or Tina being IN the mini-rally.

Jim 8)

Yes, there are worries. You could be a spy for the likes of BreadBoy. We have a plan that does not involve the board, thank you very much! :lol:

No problem, just a thought. :oops:

Jim 8)
JimVonBaden
Smooth Motorcycle Operator

Postby pbharvey » Fri Dec 01, 2006 10:40 am

I snipped this from the Long Distance Rider list in case anyone is interested. An armchair rally might be the thing to help mentally prepare for the real deal.

The 2007 Winter ArmChair Rally Is OPEN for registration

This year we will be holding the rally on the night of Saturday, Jan 13th.

The rally headquarters will again be in Gothenburg, NE and like last year
the Sod Museum will be our rally meeting hall. But because of the "incident"
in the motel last year we'll be moving the over night accommodations to
Travel Inn on South Lake Ave and 5th. All is forgetting and forgiven;
welcome back. Also there is plenty of room for any and all new comers as
well. (By the way, you never have to leave home to be in the Rally.)

We are proud to announce that Aerostich / Riderwearhouse and the Tinbuttu
Rally are sponsoring the rally's grand prize.

The Winter ArmChair Rally is a Virtual Mapping and bonus Hunting Skills
Tournament and has been developed for the Long Distance motorcycle community
to be played in the mid-winter off-season. The Rally is played over the
Internet and with E-mail correspondence. All candidates must be either a
member of the IBA, have ridden in a LD rally or plan to ride in the upcoming
year to qualify. This year we have set up a Yahoo Group for pre-rally
banter. Please use this group to ask questions of the rallymaster and of
each other about the rally rules and methods.

You are all invited to join now; it's better than staring out the window at
the snow. And it's free!

http://alaska.derrickandlove.net/WinterRally.htm
Brian
R1200C Montana for sale.
Good enough for James Bond, good enough for you.

Replace your heating and cooling system and receive a $1500 Tax Credit.
pbharvey
Board Wizard

Postby wiredcur » Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:29 pm

chiba wrote:Can anybody tell us the story?

You can read it here.

I like your towel idea too but we might not even need towels for this rally.

:shock: Ooops! I've said too much. :shock:
'04 BMW R1150GS - RatGS

"I lift things up and I put them down."
wiredcur
The Fluffernutter Kid

Postby guitardad » Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:51 pm

chiba wrote:I don't see ANY harm or offense in limiting the number of participants to keep in officially a "mini" rally (love the idea of 33 people for the 33rd anniv.), and further no harm or offense in requiring said participants to be paid-up attendees of the SRR. If I were running the show (which I'm not), I'd even take the additional step of requiring them to be paid-up members-in-good-standing of BMWBMW *but* having said that, I've never been to an SRR so I don't know anything about the makeup of the group that attends, if it's mostly BMWBMWers or not.

Well, the SRR is an event that BMWBMW hosts, and is open to all BMW riders. We typically have folks come from all up and down the east coast - often farther! So I'd like us to make the SRR2 available to all our guests. Of course, making the SRR2 first come-first serve might create an incentive to some of our own members to sign up early - which makes them fair game for JVB to recruit to help with other aspects of the rally! (Hey, Jim - whadda ya think?!)
Chaz
'16 S1000XR "Raquel" - Red, the "energetic and quick-thinking" color
'79 R65 "Hans" - Red also ( I sense a pattern!)
guitardad
Original Oilhead

Postby JimVonBaden » Fri Dec 01, 2006 1:02 pm

guitardad wrote:
chiba wrote:I don't see ANY harm or offense in limiting the number of participants to keep in officially a "mini" rally (love the idea of 33 people for the 33rd anniv.), and further no harm or offense in requiring said participants to be paid-up attendees of the SRR. If I were running the show (which I'm not), I'd even take the additional step of requiring them to be paid-up members-in-good-standing of BMWBMW *but* having said that, I've never been to an SRR so I don't know anything about the makeup of the group that attends, if it's mostly BMWBMWers or not.

Well, the SRR is an event that BMWBMW hosts, and is open to all BMW riders. We typically have folks come from all up and down the east coast - often farther! So I'd like us to make the SRR2 available to all our guests. Of course, making the SRR2 first come-first serve might create an incentive to some of our own members to sign up early - which makes them fair game for JVB to recruit to help with other aspects of the rally! (Hey, Jim - whadda ya think?!)

Sounds like a plan to me! :twisted:

Jim 8)
JimVonBaden
Smooth Motorcycle Operator

Postby Chiba » Fri Dec 01, 2006 2:33 pm

guitardad wrote:Well, the SRR is an event that BMWBMW hosts, and is open to all BMW riders.

Gotcha!

I assume I'll be purveying the goings-on for write-up in BTS, but I don't see any reason I wouldn't be available to help out with the SRR in some fashion.

--chiba
BMW MOA Digital News Editor www.bmwmoa.org
- 05 R1200GS - 98 K1200RS + Hannigan Classic sidecar -
Chiba
The FUNNY One

Previous

Return to Races & Endurance Rallies