2013 Iron Butt Rally

Place to keep up with Road Rallies & Races

Re: 2013 Iron Butt Rally

Postby ChaseH » Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:32 am

Completely off topic and probably should start a new thread, but who's signing up to compete in or support the Void this year? I'll be trying the 10 hour again.
09 R1200 GS
14 S1000RR HP4

Scuba Travel & Motorcycle photos
http://chaseh.smugmug.com/
ChaseH
Where GS = Gone Skidding

Postby Hello Kitty » Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:36 am

I'll start a new thread :D
Kitty
Hello Kitty
Boss of Tina

Postby Unity » Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:11 pm

Hello Kitty wrote:Wow! The standings are so interesting to look at! I just checked the public spotwalla page and find myself hoping that some of the riders farthest east have a malfunctioning spot... Or at least, that there's some kind of grand plan that I can't decipher without the rally pack. They need to be in Rancho Cordova by 8PM to avoid penalty points, 10PM to avoid a DNF.

Quick shout out to Roger Sinclair and George Beemer Uber Alles. Both were terrific a the start and again at the checkpoint assisting riders with whatever it was that needed assisting. They are terrific guys and y'all are lucky to have them in the area if you find yourself needing support. Roger was a huge help to me personally in 09 and George similar in 11. Walt is a wonderful wrench, but there are some things we felt more comfortable leaving to the pros - Roger and George!

In general, the riders looked good and were in good spirits. There was, of course, heartbreak at the scoring table. I'm sure you're familiar with the phrase, "this hurts me more than it hurts you." I'm not sure I could carry it *that* far, but some of the points riders lost were very heart breaking for the scorers. :( You know they did it, but they just didn't do the paperwork quite right, and that is part of the game. Or, you know they were there, they just didn't take the correct photo. Tom Austin did a really good job with fairness (IMO) in the scoring room when scorers had questions about whether or not something would be accepted.

Thanks for your updates, Nancy. :D

--John
(IBR site, Spotwalla, and FJR forum just aren't enough!)
2002 R1150RT, Silver
Silver, the "cool and aloof" color.
(Road & Track Vol. 56, No.2, p. 19)

1971 Triumph Bonneville, Gold
Gold, the "paying the restorer" color.
(Trust me.)
Unity
Shaman

Postby CoreyH » Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:23 pm

Unity wrote:Thanks for your updates, Nancy. :D

--John
(IBR site, Spotwalla, and FJR forum just aren't enough!)

Word.
F800R
CoreyH
Betelgeuse

Postby Hello Kitty » Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:51 am

checkpoint 2 today/tonight! Given the time difference, I'll have to wait until tomorrow morning to hear the reports. Some of these riders have pulled off monster rides thus far, but they will need to get moving to make it to the check point. They have time, if they get moving and don't mess around, but they may still have their eyes on a bonus or two. Or three or four. Looks like there's tons of them in the Sacramento area.

According to my rough mapsource calculations, some of them have 14 and 15 hours to go, assuming their last spot ping is more or less current. I do know that one can make higher speeds out west, but they also need to keep safety in mind, of course.

Also, if it were me, and of course, it isn't, I'd be thinking about traffic heading into the Sacramento area at the end of a long holiday weekend. Picture I-95 north coming to the DC area today - any weekend, but especially this one. Sure, it's California and they can lane split, but that will only do so much for them. If traffic is a dead stop, they aren't going to be doing freeway speeds in between the lanes of traffic.

ALSO, leg 3 bonus pack hand out approaches, they will want to be as fresh as an IBR rider at checkpoint 2 can be, so getting in early, getting scored and getting to bed should be high priorities right now. My opinion, of course. Some of these people are a lot tougher than me!

I'm anxiously awaiting the spots to start moving again and following along! Let's hope a daily report comes out a lot earlier than yesterday's nail bitter! I am only guessing, but I suspect it may have been purposeful so that Bob could disclose some details of the bonus options without setting the riders up for too many spectators at bonus stops. That Pony Express option sounds tough, but rewarding. Pikes Peak was less risky (IMO), but depending on what else they could pick up, also less rewarding. Again, my opinion.

It sure looks like the guy who is in Elko, NV for the night was going for the PE option, and is taking his rest bonus there. Assuming the PE locations are numbered more or less in the order that riders will visit them, he's still got quite a few locations to get today. Then get to the checkpoint and get his paperwork in order. Missing (or flubbing) just ONE of them, makes the effort meaningless. :(

Keyboard at the ready! F5, baby!
Kitty
Hello Kitty
Boss of Tina

Postby Rick F. » Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:57 pm

Hello Kitty wrote:checkpoint 2 today/tonight! Given the time difference, I'll have to wait until tomorrow morning to hear the reports. Some of these riders have pulled off monster rides thus far, but they will need to get moving to make it to the check point. They have time, if they get moving and don't mess around, but they may still have their eyes on a bonus or two. Or three or four. Looks like there's tons of them in the Sacramento area.

According to my rough mapsource calculations, some of them have 14 and 15 hours to go, assuming their last spot ping is more or less current. I do know that one can make higher speeds out west, but they also need to keep safety in mind, of course.

Also, if it were me, and of course, it isn't, I'd be thinking about traffic heading into the Sacramento area at the end of a long holiday weekend. Picture I-95 north coming to the DC area today - any weekend, but especially this one. Sure, it's California and they can lane split, but that will only do so much for them. If traffic is a dead stop, they aren't going to be doing freeway speeds in between the lanes of traffic.

ALSO, leg 3 bonus pack hand out approaches, they will want to be as fresh as an IBR rider at checkpoint 2 can be, so getting in early, getting scored and getting to bed should be high priorities right now. My opinion, of course. Some of these people are a lot tougher than me!

I'm anxiously awaiting the spots to start moving again and following along! Let's hope a daily report comes out a lot earlier than yesterday's nail bitter! I am only guessing, but I suspect it may have been purposeful so that Bob could disclose some details of the bonus options without setting the riders up for too many spectators at bonus stops. That Pony Express option sounds tough, but rewarding. Pikes Peak was less risky (IMO), but depending on what else they could pick up, also less rewarding. Again, my opinion.

It sure looks like the guy who is in Elko, NV for the night was going for the PE option, and is taking his rest bonus there. Assuming the PE locations are numbered more or less in the order that riders will visit them, he's still got quite a few locations to get today. Then get to the checkpoint and get his paperwork in order. Missing (or flubbing) just ONE of them, makes the effort meaningless. :(

Keyboard at the ready! F5, baby!

Kitty,

I like the long hair! And that you're helping out with the rally this year.

As for the forgone points due to inadequate documentation? There's nobody fairer at adjudicating such issues than you. Heartbreaking? Yes. Fair? Yes.

Have fun (and keep us posted),

Rick
For all my tour articles, check out rsftripreporter.net.

2020 Mercedes-Benz SL550
2013 BMW 335i convertible (sold)
2007 Aston Martin V8 Vantage (sold)
2006 BMW Z4 3.0i roadster (sold)
2005 BMW R1200GS (retired)
2003 BMW F650CS (sold)
Rick F.
Board Wizard

Postby Hello Kitty » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:42 pm

Thanks Rick, I try to be fair. It is hard to look someone in the eye and take away points. The 10% penalty for 1 minor mistake made it much easier for me. Dinging a rider 100 points was much easier for both of us :D

Wow, how about this leg so far? I am riveted watching the spot page. I even have a few customers into it now who give me updates because I can't see the spot tracker at work due to blocking software. Grrrr... but I've got contacts keeping me posted as well. The riders all look to be making good tracks. One of my soldiers in stalking sent me some photos from The Museum of Flight from this morning when the riders were there to scarf up a bonus. He saw Pat Ford and daughter Becky Martinez there and said they looked terrific. I am expecting some more photos soon and will post them to the FJR forum. I had a nice chat with Becky at the start and it was great to meet her and her dad, what a wonderful story. The day of the start was her 40th birthday! Go Becky! She's been riding and doing other cool stuff with her dad since she was a little girl.

I'm devastated about Eric Jewel. He's so deserving. He was in first place after the second leg of the IBR. Sure Matt was hot on his tail, but they were a good margin above the rest of the pack. Matt is very deserving too, as are the other folks in the top pack now. It's still anybody's rally. You never know what mistakes could be made or mechanical issues or rider issues or any of the other issues riders face in the hunt that could still rear their ugly little heads.

I'm very excited for the finish and spending some time in the scoring room. I think I will have some strongly scented candles, air freshener, spray deodorant and breath mints at my scoring table this time. They ain't tricking this kitty twice. Goodness gracious, did I smell this bad? :lol:
Kitty
Hello Kitty
Boss of Tina

Rider in Need

Postby CoreyH » Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:25 pm

I am sure the Bat Signal has already gone up around the BMW/IBR community, but thought I would cross post this from the FJRForum, just in case:

"I am posting this at the request of Scott Jones. He is riding a 2006 BMW R1200RT and is having trouble with his electronic windshield. It has decided to become possessed and is going up and down. I am not at all familiar with it's electrical system. Is the fuse for the windscreen only in control of the windscreen or will pulling it cause other issues? Is this a problem anyone else has experienced? Any suggestions? "
F800R
CoreyH
Betelgeuse

Re: Rider in Need

Postby Georgeinva » Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:30 pm

CoreyH wrote:I am sure the Bat Signal has already gone up around the BMW/IBR community, but thought I would cross post this from the FJRForum, just in case:

"I am posting this at the request of Scott Jones. He is riding a 2006 BMW R1200RT and is having trouble with his electronic windshield. It has decided to become possessed and is going up and down. I am not at all familiar with it's electrical system. Is the fuse for the windscreen only in control of the windscreen or will pulling it cause other issues? Is this a problem anyone else has experienced? Any suggestions? "

No fuse to pull. The problem is most likely one or both of the limiting switches. If they fail the wind screen will not stop cycling up and down.
Gridlock Motors
7155 Opal rd
Warrenton VA. 20186
(571) 318 2472
http://www.beemersuberalles.com
http://www.gridlockmotors.com/

"It needs to be about 20% cooler "
Georgeinva
Board Guru

Postby Chiba » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:04 pm

Sounds like a good problem to fix with a hammer. I bet that is really irritating!!
BMW MOA Digital News Editor www.bmwmoa.org
- 05 R1200GS - 98 K1200RS + Hannigan Classic sidecar -
Chiba
The FUNNY One

Postby Unity » Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:59 pm

"Iggy" was getting crowd-favorite attention on the FJR forum -- what's his real name and where did he finish?

--John
2002 R1150RT, Silver

(Trust me.)
Unity
Shaman

Postby Hello Kitty » Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:23 am

Unity wrote:"Iggy" was getting crowd-favorite attention on the FJR forum -- what's his real name and where did he finish?

--John

That's Matt Watkins. I believe 5th. He had a few scoring table oopsies, maybe would have moved him to 4th or 5th, I haven't analyzed it myself, but some folks are suggesting that the PNW route could have been the winning route, but that Iggy didn't do it right. I don't know, could be. What I do know is that there were a whole lot of SW riders on the podium.
Kitty
Hello Kitty
Boss of Tina

Postby Unity » Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:57 am

Hello Kitty wrote:That's Matt Watkins.

Oh, he was way up there in points after 2 legs and favored for a podium spot. I can scarcely imagine his long 3rd-leg ride without a rear shock! Thanks, Nancy.

--John
2002 R1150RT, Silver

(Trust me.)
Unity
Shaman

Postby Hello Kitty » Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:58 am

Yeah, he was hurting when he got in. I got on the floor with him in the scoring room and tried to show him a couple yoga tricks that might help. Thank goodness there weren't any cameras at the ready!
Kitty
Hello Kitty
Boss of Tina

Previous

Return to Races & Endurance Rallies