Smoke Chasing Grand Tour 2012

Place to keep up with Road Rallies & Races

Re: Smoke Chasing Grand Tour 2012

Postby stevebmw » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:41 am

One more thing... The Smoke Chasing folks tell me the rally flags have been sent out to those NOT getting t-shirts, so some of you may already have yours. The folks getting t-shirts should see their packages arriving next week.
Steve Anderson
2002 R1150GS
Morton's BMW Motorcycles
Your HQ for GS fun!
Fredericksburg, Virginia
540-891-9844
steve@mortonsbmw.com
http://www.mortonsbmw.com
stevebmw
Board Viking

Postby pbharvey » Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:01 pm

Can't wait to get this show on the road
Brian
R1200C Montana for sale.
Good enough for James Bond, good enough for you.

Replace your heating and cooling system and receive a $1500 Tax Credit.
pbharvey
Board Wizard

Postby stevebmw » Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:22 pm

I'm almost speechless... except for AWESOME! :D
Steve Anderson
2002 R1150GS
Morton's BMW Motorcycles
Your HQ for GS fun!
Fredericksburg, Virginia
540-891-9844
steve@mortonsbmw.com
stevebmw
Board Viking

Postby stevebmw » Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:09 pm

I got my Smoke Chasing number flag, stickers, and t-shirts on Saturday. They were waiting for me when I got home from a nice ride after work. I think the shirts look pretty cool, and remember you get a discount on your purchase as a Team Morton's member:

I've got some extra stickers at Morton's for our team members, so be sure to ask me the next time you come to the store. Eleven days to go :D
Steve Anderson
2002 R1150GS
Morton's BMW Motorcycles
Your HQ for GS fun!
Fredericksburg, Virginia
540-891-9844
steve@mortonsbmw.com
stevebmw
Board Viking

Postby Maria V » Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:26 pm

My goodies arrived on Saturday as well. Already scoping out Q stops for some pics on the club meeting day at Morton's. And I'll be earning half my T Shirt side dish. :D
Poor Wild Pig - he tried to get me in on this last year, and I just did NOT have my act together. He might have been my BFF partner.
Maria
Retired Presidente
Kermit's Ride Rule: "Don't hit the person in front of you and no whining."
2009 F650GS - "Moose" Veni, Vidi, Vroom!
Maria V
Attack Ninja

Postby stevebmw » Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:59 pm

Maria V wrote:My goodies arrived on Saturday as well. Already scoping out Q stops for some pics on the club meeting day at Morton's. And I'll be earning half my T Shirt side dish. :D

I can recommend three good BBQ joints within a couple miles of the store.

For the traditionalist who likes small town, hole in the wall-type places, we have Allman's, which has been around for almost 60 years:

Image Image

For the local chain devotee, we have Virginia BBQ:

Image Image

Little do they know how they'll end up:

And, for those who like national chains, we have Famous Dave's:

All three are on Route 1, just south (Famous Dave's) and north (Allman's and Virginia BBQ) of Morton's BMW. I can attest all offer good BBQ :D
Steve Anderson
2002 R1150GS
Morton's BMW Motorcycles
Your HQ for GS fun!
Fredericksburg, Virginia
540-891-9844
steve@mortonsbmw.com
stevebmw
Board Viking

Postby GSFun » Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:29 pm

Greg and I are in and waiting for our flags!!!
Shannon Krammes
2011 G650GS
BMWBMW Membership Chair
membership@bmwbmw.org

-- Making BMWBMW a club of the members, by the members, for the members!!!
GSFun
Board Guru

Smoke Chasing April Contests!!!

Postby GSFun » Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:36 am

I really like the second one ;-) For all you Bubbas (I mean friends) that we harassed into joining us, don't forget to submit our name!!! ;-)

Contests:
For April, we have two non-point contests. These are just for fun but as you can see, they can be rewarding as well. The first contest is the "dive" contest. Just take a photo of your flag, motorcycle and the worst looking BBQ place you can find and you could be a winner. These places can be abandoned, burned down, and the general ambiance of patrons, dumpsters, and other unpleasant images will count towards the dive score. But only a single photo is allowed. You cannot amplify your dive score by adding more photos.

BBQ/Smoke must appear in the name, tagline or somewhere on the sign proximity - in accordance with the normal rules. Photos must be submitted in the Dive folder under the Image Gallery tab of http://www.smokechasing.com by April 30th. Judging will be done by the Grillmaster and a select group of non-SCGT12 bubbas.

The second contest is the Friends Don't Let Friends Go Hungry contest. This one is easy and can be done without riding. Just have a friend, co-worker, or any old stranger sign up for SCGT12 during the month of April and you will have a chance to win. Have your rider e-mail the Grillmaster at smokechasing@hotmail.com and tell them who referred them and you are in the drawing. You will receive one entry for each rider that signs up in April and references your name as their inspiration. The more participants, the bigger the prize and yes, this is a good time to sign up a club, team or riding group.
Shannon Krammes
2011 G650GS
BMWBMW Membership Chair
membership@bmwbmw.org

-- Making BMWBMW a club of the members, by the members, for the members!!!
GSFun
Board Guru

Postby Hello Kitty » Sun Apr 08, 2012 4:52 am

I finally started looking into this a little. What a great concept and Jon has really done a great job with all his creativity in the categories and side dish stuff.

Very cool!
Kitty
Hello Kitty
Boss of Tina

Postby pbharvey » Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:42 pm

I wanted to hit Andy Nelson's as my 100th BBQ joint. Unfortunately it was #106 yesterday :D
Brian
R1200C Montana for sale.

pbharvey
Board Wizard

Smoke Chasing Grand Tour 2012 Results & Grand Champion‏

Postby bstransky » Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:29 pm

From the grillmaster...

Smoke Chasing Grand Tour for 2012 is now complete. We want to thank our riders, sponsors and the many organizations that helped promote the Grand Tour.

These fine folks include: the American Motorcyclist Association, Revzilla, Adaptiv Technologies, Morton’s BMW Motorcycles, Ole Time BBQ, The CycleSmiths, Backroads USA, Side Stand Up, the Minnesota 1000, Ryan Peters, Wendy Barclay, and the Mason Dixon 20-20. Each of these businesses and organizations has helped spread awareness of SCGT and/or has donated the prizes we will be giving away shortly.

We would also like to extend a thank you and debt of gratitude to the fine people of Team Strange Airheads, the motorcycle club that started as a bowling team, is headed by a stuffed bear, and still manages to put on some of the best motorcycle events in the country. These events include ButtLite, the Minnesota 1000, a half dozen Teal Lyle rallies, and of course Smoke Chasing Grand Tour.

Last but certainly not least we want to thank our riders. We have had over 500 different riders enter Smoke Chasing during our first two years. This year we are proud to recognize the 50 riders who managed to complete Smoke Chasing Grand Tour. The finishers list is shown below but we would like to call special attention to our Grand Champion, Mr. Richard “Dick” Hautau. SCGT is not a competition but we do declare a Grand Champion based upon the most points scored by an entrant. This year, Dick Hautau (SCGT # 90, MOA # 70, BMW MOA Ambassador #1) of Detroit, Michigan, always riding "two up" with his picture taking wife Sharon, is the SCGT 2012 Grand Champion. Dick is also the new record holder for most BBQ/Smoke restaurants visited in a SCGT season. Dick and Sharon made 624 BBQ/Smoke restaurant stops across 38 states while scoring 906 points. They logged 214 more stops and scored 301 more points than the next closest riders. Dick and Sharon road a K1200 LT 2007 BMW with more than 150,000 on its odometer and according to Dick, added another “22,000 Smiles” in pursuit of SCGT12. Dick and Sharon were brought into the SCGT fold by none other than Morton’s BMW of Fredericksburg, Virginia, and sponsors of the “Team Morton” SCGT12 team. For their accomplishments, Dick and Sharon will receive free t-shirts, free entry into SCGT13, a fancy plaque, the right to name a BBQ/Smoke restaurant as a bonus stop in 2013, and first choice of any two prizes from the riders’ prize pool. None of this will compare to the lifetime of memories a good season of riding brings but as prizes go, this is not too shabby at all.

In addition to Dick and Sharon’s amazing ride we had seven riders finish DJ Morrow’s 15/15/15 challenge visiting 15 BBQ stops in 15 states in 15 days. These riders are Don Stadtler, Andrew Hall, John Beamer, Bill Collins, Garrett Underwood, Greg Turp, and Steve Makela. We had ten riders who visited 20 or more states with William and Diane Dunlap matching Dick and Sharon’s 38 states. We had nine riders who made 100 or more stops and this includes Garrett Underwood, Tim Isaacs, Kurt Brown, Mark Warner, Bill Collins, Brian Harvey, John Beamer, Andrew Hall and Don Stadtler. We found a new SCGT ambassador, comedian, and wildly interesting rider in Luis Diaz Diaz. Luis kicked off the season right by winning a set of Dunlop tires from SCGT, courtesy of the AMA. We had Scott Heinrich score 99 points without leaving his home state and an exercise is efficiency by Robert Stransky who made one BBQ stop in 34 different states. There are of course dozens more names we could name and stories we could share. But we will end by telling you that these great finishers and the hundreds of other riders who have joined them but did not finish, have raised over $12,000 for Eddie’s Road since the inception of Smoke Chasing Grand Tour. For those of you who do not know, Eddie’s Road is staffed by volunteers who donate their time, money, and spirit to the notion that good people can and should help abused kids lead safer, happier and more productive lives. They are efficient, effective, and deeply appreciative of the donations created by our riders.

Team Strange will be hosting SCGT13 and we are adding new challenges, new finishing levels, and a new charity ride element that should keep things very interesting. Plus SCGT13 will give riders a chance to break Dick and Sharon Hautau’s stop record of 624. We will once again use Ride Master as our sign up tool so keep your eyes out for the new GT to post in the next several weeks. We will also post updates on www.smokechasing.com

Ride Safe and Have Fun!
Jon J
SCGT12 Grillmaster
**Note the prize drawing will begin as soon as we have our complete list of prizes in. We expect that to occur in the next week or so.**

SCGT2012 Grand Champion
Richard Hautau (906 points)

King/Queen of Q
Don Stadtler (605 points)
John Beamer (526 points) (Corrected +10 - Grillmaster team missed two states in the count)
Bill Dunlap (309 points)
Diane Dunlap (309 points)
Greg Turp (295 points)
Eric Bray (267 points)
Robert Stransky (256 points)

BBQ Pit Master
Andrew Hall (470 points)
Bill Collins (389 points)
Mark Warner (323 points)
Kurt Brown (257 points)
Garrett Underwood (255 points)
Jack Dannenberg (236 points)
Jeffery Foster (205 points)
Andrew Clark (159 points)
Steve Makela (151 points)
Cy Young (107 Points)
Jerry Harris (104 points)
Spencer Bennett (90 points)

Smoker
Brian Harvey (340 points)
Tim Isaacs (158 points)
Mike Canup (139 points)
Luis Diaz Diaz (138 points)
Paul Slaton (136 points)
Jerry Read (125 points)
Ely Catton (112 points)
Tim Bowman (111 points)
John Sullivan (91 points)
Eric Vaillancourt (83 points)
Charles Hairr (79 points)
Sam Houston (69 points)
Bruce Jansen (65 points)

Griller
Steve Oltman (103 points)
Bill Ouellette (93 points)
William Amerson (86 points)
Ron Personius (80 points)
Cletha Walstrand (57 points)
Marcelo Suárez Salvia (31 points)
Andy Simons (30 points)

Backyard BBQer
Scott Heinrich (99 points)
Mike Sonzini (50 points)
Stefan Kowalewski (47 points)
Lee Hetrick (45 points)
Michael Toler (27 points)
Paul Helm (26 points)
Joe Smith (22 points)
Richard Snyder (21 points)
Joe & Tina Caron (20 points)
Richard Plunkett (20 points)

Honorable Mentions - Riders sidelined for events beyond their control (and stuff).
David Erickson (14 stops and then trouble. :(
08 R1200GS, 05 F650GS
a bit over 100,000 BMW miles (so far)
bstransky

Re: Smoke Chasing Grand Tour 2012 Results & Grand Champion‏

Postby pbharvey » Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:22 pm

bstransky wrote:From the grillmaster...

Smoke Chasing Grand Tour for 2012 is now complete. We want to thank our riders, sponsors and the many organizations that helped promote the Grand Tour.

These fine folks include: the American Motorcyclist Association, Revzilla, Adaptiv Technologies, Morton’s BMW Motorcycles, ...

... and an exercise in efficiency by Robert Stransky who made one BBQ stop in 34 different states.

Nice work Bob.

Team Morton's represent!
Brian
R1200C Montana for sale.

pbharvey
Board Wizard

Postby bstransky » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:44 pm

Wow, thanks! 2012 was a pretty epic year of riding for me. Not all that many miles, but many awesome destinations and fun challenges.

Right back at ya!

And I'll raise you one...

Bob
08 R1200GS, 05 F650GS
a bit over 100,000 BMW miles (so far)
bstransky

Previous

Return to Races & Endurance Rallies