Valuable cornering tip

Share bits of wisdom you have picked up along the way and links to the good sites.

Re: Valuable cornering tip

Postby ERC Scott » Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:01 pm

Ron P wrote:...He also found a flaw in my cornering in that I wasn't leaning my shoulder into the turn and so my inside arm would be straight.
Therefore, I was pushing the front wheel out a bit.

Sometimes called "pushing the bike under yourself". One way to break the habit is to consciously bend your inside arm (pretend you have a brick tied to it) and drop your inside shoulder -- you will find you can ride a given curve a higher speed and not put a peg feeler down (depending on the bike's ground clearance). Many people have a tendency to scoot a butt cheek off on the inside (good) but also tend to lean their spine back towards the bike centerline (not so good). Takes practice to overcome -- DAMHIK. Scott
2016 R1200RS
2005 R1200 GS
2015 1290 SuperDuke-R

You don't choose your life, you live it.
ERC Scott
Board Wizard

Re: Valuable cornering tip

Postby Ron P » Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:08 pm

Yeah, I got LOTS of practice at VIR on that one. And to convince myself, I took turn one at VIR at a little slower pace the old way and then dropped the shoulder/bent the arm a little more halfway around the turn (it's a 180 degree right hander). The difference in the front wheel's tracking was noticeable.
Be sincere, whether you mean it or not.
I.B.A #55796
Ron P
Chief Scribe

Previous

Return to Tips, Tricks and Links