Helmet Venting

Share bits of wisdom you have picked up along the way and links to the good sites.

Helmet Venting

Postby jkerechek » Wed Nov 03, 2004 4:23 pm

Now that the weather is cooler you can check out different combinations of vents on your helmet to feel which combination actually has the best air flow. You should be able to feel the cold air circulate through the helmet. Go ahead and try different combinations of open and closed. You might be supprised which combination give the best air flow.

John
jkerechek

Postby Chubber » Mon Nov 08, 2004 9:01 am

Thanks for reminding me. Time to put tape over the two chin vents on my Nolan N100. They are great in the summer, but a little too much venting in the winter.

Does anyone else do this? I just use strong clear packing tape and leave a little tab on it.

Chubber
Chubber

Postby Kres » Mon Nov 08, 2004 12:13 pm

Chubber wrote: Time to put tape over the two chin vents on my Nolan N100. They are great in the summer, but a little too much venting in the winter.

Does anyone else do this? I just use strong clear packing tape and leave a little tab on it.

Chubber

Ahh! That's a great idea... I was thinking about that on my ride in this AM. I have the N100 as well and was finding it very drafty this AM. (Was a good day to have a mustache!) I'll give that a go Tuesday.

The N100 is a GREAT Summer helmet, but the chin vents just don't close - I find that switch useless.
-Kres
Kres
My other bike is a station wagon

Postby Chubber » Mon Nov 08, 2004 3:28 pm

Kres wrote:The N100 is a GREAT Summer helmet, but the chin vents just don't close - I find that switch useless.

I couldn't agree more. If you push on the "vent" it just flips in under pressure, so the wind blows it open the faster you ride.

That is what I cover. The top vent works great winter or summer.

Chubber
Chubber

Postby frankparisi » Tue Nov 09, 2004 1:50 am

I was thinking of getting a special Helmet just for the winter/cooler weather. A non-vented helmet might be less noisy anyways. They are certainly cheaper.

A mouth vent might be required so that the helmet doesn't fog up. Of course, the tape idea will always work. Good idea!

Perhaps the size of the helmet could be a little bigger for when I am wearing the head mask and neck "scarf". What the hell do you call those things anyways?
frankparisi

Postby MrE » Tue Nov 09, 2004 9:42 am

Perhaps the size of the helmet could be a little bigger for when I am wearing the head mask and neck "scarf". What the hell do you call those things anyways?

Balaclava. They kick butt in really cold weather. I have the Gore Windstopper one. Watch out for seams when looking for one. I had one that had a big seam down the center and it hurt after a few mins. The Gore has two seams, one on each side of the top of my head. They seem not to put as much pressure on my scalp.
The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane.
Mark Twain,
MrE
Adventurer Wannabe

Postby jkerechek » Tue Nov 09, 2004 9:54 am

If you think helmet hair is bad wait untill you see balaclava hair :lol: :lol:
jkerechek

Postby Unity » Tue Nov 09, 2004 10:20 am

jkerechek wrote:If you think helmet hair is bad wait untill you see balaclava hair :lol: :lol:

That's only a problem for those with hair -- those of us without suffer from unsightly balaclava scalp! :shock: :!:

--John 8)
(not to mention helmet scalp, Slik scalp, etc.)
2002 R1150RT, Silver
Silver, the "cool and aloof" color.
(Road & Track Vol. 56, No.2, p. 19)

1971 Triumph Bonneville, Gold
Gold, the "paying the restorer" color.
(Trust me.)
Unity
Shaman

Postby MrE » Tue Nov 09, 2004 10:45 am

Unity wrote:
jkerechek wrote:If you think helmet hair is bad wait untill you see balaclava hair :lol: :lol:

That's only a problem for those with hair -- those of us without suffer from unsightly balaclava scalp! :shock: :!:

--John 8)
(not to mention helmet scalp, Slik scalp, etc.)

Yepper. I get the "did you hurt your head" all the time. People with hair have it easy. Oh wait, no they don't. :o
The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane.
Mark Twain,
MrE
Adventurer Wannabe

Postby frankparisi » Tue Nov 09, 2004 1:26 pm

Balaclava it is. I have to get one those bad boys. And then a special Helmet for the Winter.
frankparisi

Postby Star-Bellied Sneetch » Tue Nov 09, 2004 8:20 pm

You mean neither Gerbing's nor BMW has an electric helmet liner?!?
Star-Bellied Sneetch

Postby frankparisi » Wed Nov 10, 2004 1:14 am

greenmanstunnel wrote:You mean neither Gerbing's nor BMW has an electric helmet liner?!?

Yeah Man, I bet they do, but I like the sound of Balaclava so much that I've got to have one.
frankparisi

Return to Tips, Tricks and Links