MP3 options

Share bits of wisdom you have picked up along the way and links to the good sites.

Re: MP3 options

Postby RocketMan » Sat Feb 17, 2007 5:36 pm

cool1 wrote:<snip>

So, does anyone here have any experience with MP3 players attached to the bike and used while riding? Has skipping been a problem or do you use the flash card kind?

Oh, and can we hold off on the wise cracks?

RM

RM,

Sandisk,

Makes a very affordable flash memory muti functional MP3 player, the Sansa e200. My father bought a Sansa e200 and I was impressed with the features, function, the price point and it has a battery that can be replaced by you.

I currently own two I pods the first a 40 Gig I-pod. The 40 Gig has a hard drive that has crashed 3 times and replaced 3 at no cost to me. :lol: Glad about that! The Nano I received gratis at work and so far so good.

That being said, both will need to be sent to Apple to have the battery replaced when they die. I would not buy another I-pod for this reason alone.

Note, I not employed by Sandisk.

Dan Cool
:D

Thanks, i did get the zune M and also have had the myfi XM radio for a year before and got the adapter for the ram mount so tunes I have a plenty now.

RM
Fromerly MR. MonkeyButt now Mr. Breezy-Butt!
http://roadrunes.com

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts" - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

"I think you're a NUT!"- Tina
RocketMan
Board Wizard

Postby JimVonBaden » Sat Feb 17, 2007 6:02 pm

Good news on the Nano. You can replace the battery yourself now with a kit for it that includes the battery and the special screwdriver. It costs about $30, which is half the cost of sending it in. Same with the Ipods.

BTW Want to sell your Nano? Tina needs one.

Jim 8)
JimVonBaden
Smooth Motorcycle Operator

Postby After12yrs » Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:00 pm

I have had my 4G Nano for a bit over 18 months. I have 800 tunes loaded and really like the random mix mode. I will randomize all 800 so the mix is always different.
As for battery life, I get a one way trip to Honolulu Ha on a charge, it does die on a trip to Japan thought and I have not been on a long anough ride to deplete it yet.
I am using my Shure E3 earphones, a great combo on the road or in the air.
After12yrs

Postby hockeyshifter » Sat Jul 14, 2007 8:23 pm

Well you are in quite i quagmire.. how much money do you want to spend..

i have SANA e140 that i got off of ebay for about 50 dollars.. reason for it after about 3 weeks of reasearch. REMOVABLE MEDIA AND AAA BATTERY
there is no need to charge a unit if you are out and about.

I have a dell dj and an ipod. the main reason i ditched them is the fact they have moving parts. that means if they break due to hard knocks. ( hdd will fail you just do not know when)

the reason for the e140 was the fact i could taylor my sd cards to what ever type of music i wanted . 512 mb is alot of music . also as the price of sd cards have droped and the increase of size of memory up to 4 gb you can acutally carry more music that you could cram onto and ipod.
plus as your tatse changes you just swap sd cards.

also look around for sd cards. microcenter in fairfax has cards on sale for about $10 at 2 gb. ebay has 4 gb + shipping for about the same.

also keep in mind that your compression has alot to do with how many songs and quality.

if you are tech savy the SD Cards allows drag and drop and the player dose not know the differance no funky interface that asks if you obtained the mp3 legaly (DRM ANYONE)
hockeyshifter

Postby R4R&R » Sun Jul 15, 2007 8:18 pm

I have been using an I-Pod Nano for some time now, and finally hooked it up so the bike charges/supplies power to it. RAM makes a Nano mount, which is what I use:

I like the idea of solid state memory, although I haven't heard of common/frequent problems with the disk based models. In the past I used an off-brand MP3 player, but lost it a while ago. While I have a Sirius satellite radio all mounted up and ready to go, I lose signal too often and that gets annoying. I do like the ability to turn on completely different genres of music, and even news and traffic, but I prefer the I-pod since it offers no 'loss' of signal, but the only problem is eventually it repeats the music (I need to get more music!!!)
'17 Triumph Explorer 1200
'04 R1150R (gone but not forgotten)
('13 Triumph Speed Triple - sons bike)
Itchin' for a ride
R4R&R
GO COWBOYS!

Postby BMWGirl » Sun Jul 15, 2007 8:21 pm

So you ran a connection from the battery up to the handlebars??

That's what we did with my XM - then there was a plug and I could just plug in - but what wires did you use?? I would like to see this setup - are you going to the meeting on Saturday or to the Crap thing?? I need my mechanic to see this so he can do mine too! :lol:
BECAUSE I CAN!!!
IBA #37898 - IBR - 2017 IBA #565 Woohoo

2015 R1200GSA white w/PURPLE :-)
'10 K1300GT
'05 R1200ST

"Riding is about having an adventure - you just go with it and No Whining!" Kermit
BMWGirl
GO COWBOYS!

Re: MP3 options

Postby chrish » Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:46 pm

RocketMan wrote:I’ve been looking at MP3 players to carry on the LT as my mini-disc player tends to skip sometimes and I figured since I have managed to drag my sorry ass (with some kicking and screaming along the way) into the 21st century, first with going digital then in the world of motorcycles, so seem logical to go one step further and upgrade my portable music device.

From what I have gathered so far there seem to be two options on the storage issue, one is flash drives and the other is hard drive devices (such as the Ipod Microsoft’s new Zume, etc. The big difference is that with flash you get a lot less storage and costs a lot more per megabyte than hard drive devices, but it doesn’t have any moving parts so there is concern about skipping. The down side is the storage size and features. The higher capacity systems are a lot more cost effective, have more features and generally easier to read screens. All seem to have juke boxes to make mixes and stuff to organize the songs, etc, My main concern is do the hard drive ones work on a bike or will it tend to skip or do damage to HD over time?

So, does anyone here have any experience with MP3 players attached to the bike and used while riding? Has skipping been a problem or do you use the flash card kind?

Oh, and can we hold off on the wise cracks?

RM
:lol:

I have my MP3, Bluetooth phone, and GPS from the Zumo 550. It works great!
'15 S1000RR, '04 Suzuki DR650SE
'12 S1000RR, '09 K1300S,'05 Red R1200GS, 04 Silver RT, HD UltraClassic, HD Road King - Not too long ago
chrish

Postby moneill » Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:26 am

R4R&R wrote:I have been using an I-Pod Nano for some time now, and finally hooked it up so the bike charges/supplies power to it. RAM makes a Nano mount, which is what I use:

I like the idea of solid state memory, although I haven't heard of common/frequent problems with the disk based models. In the past I used an off-brand MP3 player, but lost it a while ago. While I have a Sirius satellite radio all mounted up and ready to go, I lose signal too often and that gets annoying. I do like the ability to turn on completely different genres of music, and even news and traffic, but I prefer the I-pod since it offers no 'loss' of signal, but the only problem is eventually it repeats the music (I need to get more music!!!)

I might have to do this set up for my nano. I have my wires coming up the back in front of the seat into the tank bag.
moneill

Postby Dan » Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:39 pm

I have an Archos mp3 player/recorder with a 20 gb hard drive. I haven't used it while riding, but I've never had it skip in the 5+ years that I've had it. If I was going to get a new mp3 player though, I'd get an iPod since iPods and iTunes are both really easy to use (I use iTunes anyway, I just can't transfer stuff straight to my mp3 player like I could with an iPod)
Dan

Previous

Return to Tips, Tricks and Links