Toll Booth Money Exchange

Share bits of wisdom you have picked up along the way and links to the good sites.

Postby The Dude! » Thu Dec 23, 2004 9:19 am

Well, RFID is a little more advanced than that. There's a tuned coil attached to a small chip. The toolboth has a transmitter that bombards the area with RF radiation, then listens. It does this a couple hundred times a sec. The coil, when bombarded with this radiation, stores it up then unleashes in in short bursts, translating into anywhere from 1 digit to nearly 1000 at this point in time. Some chips are actually capable of storing lists of numbers and transmitting them based on the "request" from the transmitter/reader. The Air Force uses these to track the contents of pallets for example. My dog has an RFID chip in her, so when she rode in the car thru the EZPass it never caught the pass's number. Got a ticket in the mail that took a little while to sorty outy.

Sidenote, I'm always thinking, when I got my first motorcycle the ignition switch was bad and I started thinking about rigging it to read the RFID tag in my wallet (or implanted in my ass by the local vetrenarian (that's what animal microchips are) so my bike wouldn't need a key.
The Dude!

Postby BchrisL » Sun Sep 04, 2005 3:42 pm

Count your coin out in advance, and place it in a 35mm film can. Store several of them wherever...
BchrisL

Postby lionlady » Mon Sep 19, 2005 5:16 pm

JimVonBaden wrote:
Anonymous wrote:I was told by the EZ pass people ...

Just my experience.

Chris Zink

Hi Chris,

Why don't you go ahead and register? That way we can see your profile, and get to know you!

Welcome to the DB!

Jim

Umm. ChrisZ is a member and is registered. My guess is that she just forgot to log in or was at a different computer than her 'usual one.'

P
Ta da!
lionlady
Board Wizard

Postby JimVonBaden » Mon Sep 19, 2005 5:19 pm

lionlady wrote:
JimVonBaden wrote:
Anonymous wrote:I was told by the EZ pass people ...

Just my experience.

Chris Zink

Hi Chris,

Why don't you go ahead and register? That way we can see your profile, and get to know you!

Welcome to the DB!

Jim

Umm. ChrisZ is a member and is registered. My guess is that she just forgot to log in or was at a different computer than her 'usual one.'

P

A little behind the 8-ball there Pam? That post is over a year old.

Jim 8)

PS No one can post as a guest anymore, not for the last several months.
JimVonBaden
Smooth Motorcycle Operator

Re: EZ Pass!

Postby wiredcur » Mon Sep 19, 2005 8:39 pm

mrenloe wrote:
darnestowner wrote:EZ Pass in the map section of my tank bag works every time. It's a godsend for bikes -- right up there with the cell phone as a safety + convenience item.

I use SmartTag almost daily on my commute if I take the Dulles Greenway. It works great mounted under the windscreen.

I'll be glad when SmartTag and EZ-Pass play nice together.

If you don't already know by now... but some headway has been made. You can use EZ-Pass on all VA toll roads now but I don't know if the reverse is true.
'04 BMW R1150GS - RatGS

"I lift things up and I put them down."
wiredcur
The Fluffernutter Kid

Postby MrE » Tue Sep 20, 2005 9:13 am

wiredcur wrote:
mrenloe wrote:
darnestowner wrote:EZ Pass in the map section of my tank bag works every time. It's a godsend for bikes -- right up there with the cell phone as a safety + convenience item.

I use SmartTag almost daily on my commute if I take the Dulles Greenway. It works great mounted under the windscreen.

I'll be glad when SmartTag and EZ-Pass play nice together.

If you don't already know by now... but some headway has been made. You can use EZ-Pass on all VA toll roads now but I don't know if the reverse is true.

Yep. I believe they are interchangable. Now. But not in July of 2004
The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane.
Mark Twain,
MrE
Adventurer Wannabe

Postby wiredcur » Tue Sep 20, 2005 9:15 am

mrenloe wrote:... But not in July of 2004

Hey... I'm just working towards my 4000th post.
'04 BMW R1150GS - RatGS

"I lift things up and I put them down."
wiredcur
The Fluffernutter Kid

Postby JimVonBaden » Tue Sep 20, 2005 4:50 pm

wiredcur wrote:
mrenloe wrote:... But not in July of 2004

Hey... I'm just working towards my 4000th post.

Nearly 4600! :lol:

Jim 8)
JimVonBaden
Smooth Motorcycle Operator

Postby ebolean » Mon May 22, 2006 3:47 pm

what if I use the one registered for my cage on my motorcycle? will i get a nasty gram?
ebolean

Postby MrE » Mon May 22, 2006 5:25 pm

ebolean wrote:what if I use the one registered for my cage on my motorcycle? will i get a nasty gram?

WRT SmartTag in VA, you will not. I have one I move back and forth between bike and truck.
Mark Twain,
MrE
Adventurer Wannabe

Postby Maria V » Mon May 22, 2006 5:41 pm

EZ Pass has the ability to register more than one vehicle to the pass. I have the Forester & the bike on mine. However, I tried to add Andi's plate, in case we switched passes. "They" knew that tag was already registered to another EZ Pass.

What I have run into is that sometimes on the bike, the tag is not read and I look like a toll slacker. However, the magic of technology (or the curse of Big Brother) allows the tag to be run and matched against my ez pass account, and it appears on my statement as if everything worked hunky-dory. Versus not having the bike on the pass at all, and getting a bill for the toll PLUS the "admin fees".
Last edited by Maria V on Tue May 23, 2006 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Maria
Retired Presidente
Kermit's Ride Rule: "Don't hit the person in front of you and no whining."
2009 F650GS - "Moose" Veni, Vidi, Vroom!
Maria V
Attack Ninja

Postby MrE » Mon May 22, 2006 5:49 pm

mvscorpio wrote:EZ Pass has the ability to register more than one vehicle to the pass. I have the Forester & the bike on mine. However, I tried to add Andi's plate, in case we switched passes. "They" knew that tag was already registered to another EZ Pass.

What I have run into is that sometimes on the bike, the tag is not read and I look loke a toll slacker. However, the magic of technology (or the curse of Big Brother) allows the tag to be run and matched against my ez pass account, and it appears on my statement as if everything worked hunky-dory. Versus not having the bike on the pass at all, and getting a bill for the toll PLUS the "admin fees".

In VA, you don't want to get the "admin fees". Saw an article that it can be something like a $200 fine by the time penalities add up if you ignore the notices.
Mark Twain,
MrE
Adventurer Wannabe

Postby ebolean » Tue May 23, 2006 3:26 pm

Yikes! I will add my bike plate to my ez pass registration. thanks for the heads up.

Bob
ebolean

Postby Anton » Sun Jul 23, 2006 8:50 am

I travel on very few toll roads. I sometimes use my dad's EZ-Pass if I'm in the car, but on the bike I do a Higdon. Stop, turn off the engine, take off gloves. Dig out wallet, hand over some bills, look in rearview mirror to see how much traffic has backed up. Stow the change, make sure pockets are zipped, gloves on (make sure to get the layering correct if it's raining), start bike and leave.

You folks with toll passes are ruining it for those of us working towards the elimination of MC tolls!! :)
Anton Largiader
The Muffin Man
http://vamotorrad.com
Anton
Board Wizard

Postby Chiba » Sun Jul 23, 2006 9:49 am

I tried to add my bike plate to my EZ-Pass and the lady on the phone said I had to have a separate unit because in lots of places the m/c toll is different than the car toll - which was news to me. At any rate, she said that using my car unit on my m/c (or vice-versa) could earn me a ticket/fine.

Didn't cost me anything for the 2nd unit, but now my "recharge amount" is $20 instead of $10 and it charges me $70 to re-up instead of $35.

--chiba
BMW MOA Digital News Editor www.bmwmoa.org
- 05 R1200GS - 98 K1200RS + Hannigan Classic sidecar -
Chiba
The FUNNY One

Previous

Return to Tips, Tricks and Links