Map case

Share bits of wisdom you have picked up along the way and links to the good sites.

Map case

Postby MrE » Mon Jun 28, 2004 9:37 am

In the spirit of this thread, I thought I would share this tip/opinion that has helped me. For those of us who don't use GPS, or those who do, but occasionally do group rides or poker runs where they get a paper route sheet: Get a map case. Something like the Cycoactive cases that Aerostitch/Riders Wearhouse sells. I have the forearm map case, but I always mount it to my cross bar. I just leave it in my saddle bag so that it is there when I need it.

A lot of my riding is just exploring backroads. It is perfect for putting a map section in so that I can keep my bearings or figure out whether I should turn right or left to avoid the big roads. I occasionally put my compass in it also.

I think I am going to replace it with either the bar pack or the crossbar map case to give me a bigger area, but this one is pretty good. I don't like putting it on my arm since it seems to roll up, I have to let go of the bars to view it, etc.

For long trips I use a tank bag and its map case. But since I don't have a garage and can't leave the tankbag on all the time for daily use, I like having the option of still using a map, and these cases are a good alternative.

FWIW,
mikeout...
The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane.
Mark Twain,
MrE
Adventurer Wannabe

Postby JimVonBaden » Tue Jun 29, 2004 1:35 am

Another cheap trick is to open the key lock cover on the gas cap, RS and others?, and lay a small folded map under it. When closed it stays nicely even at speed.

I have done this several times on my R1100RS for single destination maps. It makes it very easy to pick it up at a stop sign for a closer look, or to fip it over.

Jim 8)
JimVonBaden
Smooth Motorcycle Operator

Return to Tips, Tricks and Links