BMWBMW Map Of Members

Share bits of wisdom you have picked up along the way and links to the good sites.

Postby docpc » Tue Oct 25, 2005 1:42 pm

JimSnitker wrote:Cool Doc - you actually got a response from someone at a public website. I'm impressed. I'll email 'em and see if they can add mine too. Where are you that you also live in such an out of the way place?

I live in the Oak Hill section of Herndon; the ZIP code for that location was not included in the last Census. It's 20171.
docpc

Postby Dough Boy » Tue Oct 25, 2005 1:49 pm

Personally, I am fine with anyone knowing my ZIP code. Nobody will try to sell me anything, because they'll know I'm poor based on my ZIP code.
Dough Boy

Postby twehner » Thu Oct 27, 2005 12:17 pm

docpc wrote:
JimSnitker wrote:This is great! Good to see where people are, relationally. Funny...they don't recognize my zip code (Philomont, 20131), demonstrating once again that I really do live OUT IN THE STICKS! You CAN hear the banjos from here! :D

I had some communication with the Frapper folks after I found the map wouldn't recognize my ZIP code. Turns out for cost reasons they aren't using the USPO monthly feed of data; they're using the last Census data instead 'cause it's free.

I believe they added my ZIP in to the data base, manually. ;-)

So if your ZIP doesn't show, no one in your area answered the census?
twehner

Postby MrE » Thu Oct 27, 2005 1:52 pm

twehner wrote: So if your ZIP doesn't show, no one in your area answered the census?

ZIP was probably added AFTER the last census.
The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane.
Mark Twain,
MrE
Adventurer Wannabe

Postby JimSnitker » Thu Oct 27, 2005 4:45 pm

mrenloe wrote:
twehner wrote: So if your ZIP doesn't show, no one in your area answered the census?

Hmmm - don't think so. My house has been here 200 years, and the postal lady has worked in the same old post office in the general store for 47 years (and her dad before that, and his dad before that..same family ever since is was a CSA post office I think).

Must be because the USPS doesn't deliver mail out here - me and all my neighbors get to troop to the Philomont general store to get our mail from general delivery. 50 miles from DC...can you believe it! :lol:
JimSnitker

Postby Anton » Mon Oct 31, 2005 7:46 am

Flash! wrote:What is known is that 28-year-old Michael Azzarello and his 2000 Honda Motorcycle collided with the 2005 Porsche driven by William Trevillian, 69, of Charlottesville.

Freaky. I know the driver, used to sail with him back in college, and my sister worked for him for 10 or 15 years.
Anton Largiader
The Muffin Man
http://vamotorrad.com
Anton
Board Wizard

Postby robeth » Mon Oct 31, 2005 3:11 pm

JimSnitker wrote:This is great! Good to see where people are, relationally. Funny...they don't recognize my zip code (Philomont, 20131), demonstrating once again that I really do live OUT IN THE STICKS! You CAN hear the banjos from here! :D

I'm playing the banjo! :)

Bob E.
robeth

Postby Dough Boy » Mon Oct 31, 2005 3:26 pm

JimSnitker wrote:
mrenloe wrote:

Hmmm - don't think so. My house has been here 200 years, and the postal lady has worked in the same old post office in the general store for 47 years (and her dad before that, and his dad before that..same family ever since is was a CSA post office I think).

Must be because the USPS doesn't deliver mail out here - me and all my neighbors get to troop to the Philomont general store to get our mail from general delivery. 50 miles from DC...can you believe it! :lol:

Did the Philomont store just re-open with a new owner, or was it Bluemont?
Dough Boy

Postby docpc » Mon Oct 31, 2005 3:31 pm

mrenloe wrote:ZIP was probably added AFTER the last census.

You're right. ;-)
docpc

Postby JimSnitker » Mon Oct 31, 2005 4:26 pm

[/quote] Did the Philomont store just re-open with a new owner, or was it Bluemont?[/quote]

It got a new owner a year or more ago - but didn't close between owners. I think you're thinking about the Bluemont store, that has been opened and closed several times.
JimSnitker

Postby jbfields3 » Mon Dec 05, 2005 9:26 pm

One thing that might make sense would be to create a Garmin map with waypoints for everyone's address that club members can download.
jbfields3

Postby JimVonBaden » Mon Dec 05, 2005 9:33 pm

jbfields3 wrote:One thing that might make sense would be to create a Garmin map with waypoints for everyone's address that club members can download.

Unfortunately that wont ever happen online, since too many people are afraid of the internet.

However, each BMWBMW member is listed in the membership guide.

Jim 8)
JimVonBaden
Smooth Motorcycle Operator

Postby MrE » Fri Dec 09, 2005 6:13 pm

There are a whole bunch of folks on the map now that I don't know. Maybe they put their real name vs their user name. If you haven't looked in a while, check it out. If you haven't added your name, what's stopping you?
Mark Twain,
MrE
Adventurer Wannabe

Postby MrE » Fri Jan 27, 2006 11:47 am

bump. moved it over here. too much stickiness going on in general chat.
Mark Twain,
MrE
Adventurer Wannabe

Re: Making the mapping program a link from the BMWBMW websit

Postby BeemerVA » Tue Aug 29, 2006 3:34 pm

georgefalcon wrote:
mrenloe wrote:I made this sticky.

What do you all think about adding this to the www.bmwbmw.org main page?

I'd like to see a thorough job done (and maintained) in mapping current membership from month to month using the real membership database, correlating that to a map (perhaps one of the DeLorme products I have can show this, or maybe we need an upgrade) and deriving from that a weighted average latitude and longitude which would show the geographic center of the club's membership each month.

I like the idea of a comprehensive membership map. But, until this is produced, Frappr is there, it's free, and easy for members to add themselves.

I'd like to see it added to www.bmwbmw.org so that more members would be aware of it. A disclaimer could be added, saying that it wasn't fully inclusive.
BeemerVA

PreviousNext

Return to Tips, Tricks and Links